PDA

View Full Version : ORISKANY 10/27/2007 & Jellyfish Protection

GlockGuy
10-25-2007, 05:41
If the weather cooperates, I'll be diving the Oriskany this Saturday. Having read through many of the posts here, I'd like to comment on a few things concerning the dive;
1. Jellyfish - I did a dive off the coast of NC last year that was jelly city. Fortunately, I had exposure protection that covered every part of me, except for where my regulator didn't cover my mouth. So, where do you think I got stung? That's correct - Right on the lips! However, i now have the solution to that problem, thanks to Merrick at Dive Pros in Pensacola, Florida. An ice guard, of all things. It fits over your mouthpiece and gives a little more coverage. Of course, you could cut a piece of neoprene out of an old wetsuit and do the same thing, but this one is ergonomically shaped and everything. Merrick noted that he sells so many of these things for jellyfish protection that his distributor called to ask why a dive shop in Florida sells more ice guards than his northern dive shop customers do!
2. Speed - Many of you have noted that when you get to the Big O, there are 4 - 8 other "cattle boats" there, meaning almost 200 divers in the water. It's so bad that one operator ties a rubber chicken to his anchor line just so that his customers can ascend the proper line! The answer is Blue Water Adventures in Pensacola. They are the same price ($150) that most everybody else is, but they have the fastest boat in P-Cola. The Y-Knot is a 6 pack, but they get out there in a hurry and you are usually on your way up from your 2nd dive when the cattle boats show up.

With luck, we'll get the dive in and I'll post a report. Unfortunately, the camera I'm bringing is 35MM, not digital, but I'll see if I can get a disk made.

Divingguy
10-25-2007, 07:18
Have a GREAT time. I still hope to do that next month. I got blown out last year.

Chad
10-25-2007, 08:55
I am jealous. I hope to make that dive next year. Let us know how it goes.

BobbyWombat
10-25-2007, 09:41
Let me know what you think of the Y-not. I'm hoping to dive the O sometime within the next couple years.

GlockGuy
10-26-2007, 16:10
DANG!!!:smiley7: Two times now, I've come to the Gulf Coast on business. Two times, I've signed up to dive the Big O. Two times, the weather has kicked up the seas too much to go. I believe this ship is going to become my albatross! I'm mad enough to spit!:anim_rocket: And to add insult to injury, I spent a bunch of money getting all my dive gear down here and now have to pay to ship it home dry!