PDA

View Full Version : What class should I take?

shane.metzler
10-25-2007, 20:43
What class should I take for my second class. I recently got Open Water, now I was wondering what I should follow it up with? I was thinking Nitrox or Night Diving.

Shane

texdiveguy
10-25-2007, 20:54
What class should I take for my second class. I recently got Open Water, now I was wondering what I should follow it up with? I was thinking Nitrox or Night Diving.

Shane

Yea you might consider just 'getting in some diving first' to sharpen your new skills. In terms of courses...Nitrox is fine,,,Advanced Open Water when you feel confident to move that direction. Best of luck.

Capt Hook
10-25-2007, 22:13
just remember, a lot of Nitrox courses have no dives.

caroln
10-26-2007, 14:24
Peak performance buoyancy or any other buoyancy class you can find is probably a good choice, since that's something most people could use to do some more work on.

rogerbn
04-07-2009, 13:16
I would have to agree with caroln. I two am kinda of new too. I already have the aow, nitrox, ppb. I would say that the ppb is nice to have but is hard to do with out have perfected the skill. When I took my nitrox class I did not do any dives.

sapperw5
04-07-2009, 13:23
Peak performance buoyancy or any other buoyancy class you can find is probably a good choice, since that's something most people could use to do some more work on.

i second the buoyancy. i got my open water, and every year in the winter i look for clinics and seminars to get me back into the season. ive done buoyancy, navigation, and a rescue clinic. they were put on by a LDS. it really helpedlear some tricks they dont teach in the class.:smiley20:

paperdesk
04-07-2009, 14:16
I really enjoyed and benefited from Advanced Open Water and found it to be very valuable as a reminder of why we do certain standard safety procedures and practices that I had started to get careless about. It's hard to say if it would be better to wait and get in more dives, or just go for the course right now. Either way, it's great information and training that will help you out.

comet24
04-07-2009, 14:58
You can just dive. No need to take another class just to take a class. I took OW in college and didn't take any other classes for about ten years. Then did AOW because some operators in the Keys wanted to see the card, although my log always worked, I just decided to take the class.

Beefcake
04-07-2009, 16:46
I'm in the same boat. I'm keeping my eyes out for classes in Peak Buoyancy, night / low-viz, and navigation. I'll probably knock out the AOW this spring / summer, but I'd rather take the full courses on the three items above.

scubadiver888
04-07-2009, 17:45

Shane

Being in Florida you have a lot of opportunity. I can see how it might be hard to decide what to learn next.

texdiveguy has a good suggestion. Just get some diving in. The more diving you do the better you will be at the basic you just learnt.

Night diving could be cool but it might be better if you had a few more dives under your belt. If you are still working on air consumption and buoyancy control, night diving won't be as fun.

You could get your Nitrox but how is your air consumption? When I first started diving I ran out of air before I was nitrogen loaded. If I was diving Nitrox I would be paying extra and still not diving any longer. Once you hit a point that you have plenty of air left but you are nitrogen loaded then is a good time to get Nitrox.

I have been diving for 7 years. The first few years seemed great. At the end of 2007 I got to that point of nitrogen loaded with plenty of air in the tank. Talking to other divers I realized it was because I had better buoyancy control. Being properly weighted means less air in the BCD, which means more air for me. Better trim means less struggling in the water, which means less movement, which means less air consumption.

Last fall I got my Advanced Open Water certification. The book they gave me had the specialties I was taking plus many more. I read the chapter on Peak Performance Buoyancy (PPB) and applied what I read on all my AOW certification dives. Diving has taken on a whole new level of enjoyment. I know I can get even better but things are WAY better than they ever were. I'm really kicking myself that I didn't do the PPB course immediately after my OW.

I DEFINITELY recommend PPB.

UCFKnightDiver
04-07-2009, 17:53
Umm this thread was started 2 years a ago in 2007....

scubadiver888
04-07-2009, 18:40
Doh! :smilie39: Six of us posted to it before someone noticed.

Still, even if the original poster is long past this point, there was some good advice for anyone else reading the thread.

wmcyow
04-08-2009, 06:53
I'll second - the "just get out and dive" comment. Find someone to mentor you and get really comfortable in the water.

If you do plan to take another class Peak Performance Buoyancy or similar would be my vote. I would stay away from an AOW until you are really comfortable and have good buoyancy skills.

UCFKnightDiver
04-08-2009, 07:13
Doh! :smilie39: Six of us posted to it before someone noticed.

Still, even if the original poster is long past this point, there was some good advice for anyone else reading the thread.

this is true

wmcyow
04-08-2009, 08:21

So it was....I'm blaming it on lack of coffee before posting.....

OpieTaylor
04-08-2009, 09:25
Still a relevant subject I think because so many of us new divers get caught up in getting more certification. Good advice / replies by all.

mchain
04-08-2009, 12:06

So it was....I'm blaming it on lack of coffee before posting.....

I FORGOT MY COFFEE!!!! holy cow, That's why I feel so crummy today...

cummings66
04-08-2009, 18:04
Plus, did the OP take the advice? Curious minds want to know.