PDA

View Full Version : nagging about weight

ScubaJenn81
10-26-2007, 06:32
I have a question about family that I only see every few months. I have always had an issue with my weight, I have worked very hard to get down to a place where I feel comfortable. It takes a lot of effort to keep my weight steady, but with the proper food and proper amount, I can do it just fine. When my husband and I go out to visit these family members, they always seem to comment about my weight, how much I eat and what foods. I am big into the fruits and veggies and white meat, while they are into the steak and potatoes, mayo based food, along with ice cream and cakes. I should mention that they are not huge people, but they wouldn't hurt to loose some weight.

If it was just a comment when we walked in the door, I would just suck it up, but it is stated muliple times by each of the many family members. Then they try to get me to eat more of their relatively unhealthy foods. I do not want to gain weight when I am there (which I will if I eat like they want me too), but I also do not want them to think I am a too good for them for not eating their food. They think I am on a diet, but for me, it is a lifestyle change. What can you suggest for me to say to these people that mean well when I go away to see them?

redneckdiver52
10-26-2007, 07:07
Some people just don't understand concepts like proper dieting. That is their thing not yours. Politely decline their food and explain to them your position on food once and from then on let them do their thing and you do yours. Take satisfaction in knowing you are doing what is right for you. Their opinion doesn't help your healthful life.

YellowfinKunkfish
10-26-2007, 07:41
When people question why I eat the way I eat. I like to educate them. I tell them exactly what those unhealthy foods that I don't want to eat are doing to their body. It really has nothing to do with losing weight, (a nice by-product) but more to do with being healthy, and living longer. They usually quit bothering me after that, because they don't want to hear the big lecture about how badly they eat. I figure, they asked for it by giving me a hard time! :smiley2:
Family members ARE the worst about this, I usually don't have any trouble with anyone else, except occasionally co-workers because I didn't eat the fudge, cake, etc... that they brought for everyone to snack on.

Rhonda

cgvmer
10-26-2007, 07:50
Do what my kids do, nod listen (but not really) and continue on with there life

ScubaJenn81
10-26-2007, 09:58
Sounds easy enough, biting my tongue and not letting it bug me is the hard part. Something I am getting better with, but still have to work on.

caroln
10-26-2007, 10:28
Family is the worst because they don't feel the need to be tactful or respectful that someone's diet is their own business. It's easy to say ignore them, but very hard to do especially since this is somewhat of a sensitive issue and something you've been working hard on.

Tableleg
10-26-2007, 11:00
Biting your lip probably isn't the best thing for this situation. Like Rhonda said, if you explain to them what you're doing and why in such a way that they're able to understand it, then they're much less likely to harase you because it won't be 'you don't know what you're doing so you should try our way' anymore. And once they do understand why you do what you do, and they persist, then politely ask them to stop. If they still don't, instead of seeing them, go diving instead. :smiley36:

Capt Hook
10-26-2007, 11:48
I'm a vegetarian and my Mother is always trying to get me to eat meat, some times you just have to grin and bear it.

nathanbarlow
10-26-2007, 12:36
I'm a vegetarian and my Mother is always trying to get me to eat meat, some times you just have to grin and bear it.

That would piss me off to no end. As long as you are getting enough iron from your diet (hint: green veges!), there is actually no reason to eat meat - it is just the easiest way to get iron, as well as animal protein (different to plant protein).
Although I'm not a vegetarian, my Aunt (uncles wife) is, and we always make sure there is an alternate option for her. Although as long as animals are well treated in life, she is ok with it - so things like free-range organic chicken is ok with her, but most beef and pork aren't. I suppose she's more of a "conscientious objector" than a vegetarian but meh:smiley2::smiley20:

Tableleg
10-26-2007, 14:24
Although as long as animals are well treated in life, she is ok with it So as long as the animal is treated well before being slaughtered for consumption, she's cool with it..? :smiley36: That's the coolest vegetarian I've ever heard of! :smiley20:

dallasdivergirl
10-26-2007, 14:42
I pretty much ignore what any one says about my eating habits. I eat as healthy as possible with skipping processed foods when ever I can.

Family is hard since you are stuck with them. I know I will make some of my favorite stuff to bring to family gatherings to share with everyone & I don't tell them all of the "good for you" stuff I put in there until later. They are suprised "healthy" tastes so good.

cyclone
10-26-2007, 16:17
I have a question about family that I only see every few months. I have always had an issue with my weight, I have worked very hard to get down to a place where I feel comfortable. It takes a lot of effort to keep my weight steady, but with the proper food and proper amount, I can do it just fine. When my husband and I go out to visit these family members, they always seem to comment about my weight, how much I eat and what foods. I am big into the fruits and veggies and white meat, while they are into the steak and potatoes, mayo based food, along with ice cream and cakes. I should mention that they are not huge people, but they wouldn't hurt to loose some weight.

If it was just a comment when we walked in the door, I would just suck it up, but it is stated muliple times by each of the many family members. Then they try to get me to eat more of their relatively unhealthy foods. I do not want to gain weight when I am there (which I will if I eat like they want me too), but I also do not want them to think I am a too good for them for not eating their food. They think I am on a diet, but for me, it is a lifestyle change. What can you suggest for me to say to these people that mean well when I go away to see them?
Don't worry about the weight. As long as you can still dive, your sexy...:smiley20::smiley2:

mm2002
11-12-2007, 15:48
I came from one of those familys that would not let me go play until I'd eaten every single bite on the plate. I remember sitting there for what seemed like hours staring at that other two pounds of food. If you came to visit us you could expect the "oh c'mon, you can eat one more plate!" Luckily, I have a high metabolism so I never got extremely over weight. I've made it a point to not do that to my kids. When they are full, they go play. Simple as that.

diver_daver
11-14-2007, 14:39
As a personal trainer, I often see clients families as the biggest obstacle to their success. Everybody's family is different, you need to figure out how to handle them 'politely' {I'll let you interpret what politely means in your family}. I agree with the suggestion about educating them, but remember not to be petty, naggy or b!@#$y. Another idea, if your good in the kitchen, is to bring along a couple of plates for the snack or desert bar. This way not only will you have an option, but you may show somebody to the dark side.

CompuDude
11-14-2007, 14:46
Assuming the usual tactics haven't worked and they are still pressuring you, I like to shift the blame. My parents tend to eat pretty poorly, and my wife tends to eat in a very healthy manner. It got to the point where my wife didn't want to visit for fear of causing offense at constantly turning down food.

What ultimately worked was explaining that her doctor has her on a special restricted diet, so while she would LOVE to eat whatever is offered, she is under doctor's orders not to for health reasons. At that point it becomes an annoyance, but family no longer blames her for the decision to eat or not eat an individual item.

kenmendes
11-14-2007, 15:07
Family is always hard but if you just tell them that it is your life and lifestyle and you choose to life your life the way you want to and not the way your family want you to. Tell them its your choice not to eat meat and potatoes and cakes and ice cream and that you want to eat fruits and veggies. How would they like it if you always gave them a bad time about eating unhealthy. When they say something about eating that stuff ask them if they want fruits and veggies and with meats with you