PDA

View Full Version : tank banger

moosicman
10-26-2007, 09:38
what in the world is this.....???

MSilvia
10-26-2007, 09:44
It's a loop of elastic cord running through a golfball sized plastic ball. You put the elastic loop around your tank, and then you can pull on and release the ball to make it bang against your tank, making a loud "clang" that alerts everyone in the water with you that you're a newbie who'll buy anything that's put in front of you.

In other words, tank bangers are obnoxious and IMHO a waste of money.

ScubaJenn81
10-26-2007, 09:52
I agree, it is not something you really need. They are cheap though.

No Misses
10-26-2007, 11:02
It's a loop of elastic cord running through a golfball sized plastic ball. You put the elastic loop around your tank, and then you can pull on and release the ball to make it bang against your tank, making a loud "clang" that alerts everyone in the water with you that you're a newbie who'll buy anything that's put in front of you.

Correction: It indicates that you are a newb, who is too cheap to buy an air powered sub duck :smilie39:

dallasdivergirl
10-26-2007, 11:10
Nothing is better than being on a dive and being stalked by the mysterious banger fish and shaker fish.

I had a nice little clip that I can use for getting someone's attention. I can't ever remember to clip it on.

Capt Hook
10-26-2007, 11:46
Pretty much a waste of money.

moosicman
10-26-2007, 11:48

Correction: It indicates that you are a newb, who is too cheap to buy an air powered sub duck :smilie39:

ok,,,,what is an air powered sub duck....i'm assuming these things are meant to get others attention with noise at depth???

MSilvia
10-26-2007, 11:55
ok,,,,what is an air powered sub duck....i'm assuming these things are meant to get others attention with noise at depth???
It's an underwater air horn that connects to your lp inflator hose. It let's you make a loud but sickly honk/quack noise at the push of a button. It's even better than a banger for bothering other divers, and more expensive.

Chad
10-26-2007, 11:56
The Sub Duck is a god awful thing that attaches inline with your power inflater/hose. It quacks really loud underwater.

Aspendiver
10-26-2007, 11:58
I use a carabiner clipped to D-ring. If you have fumble fingers, attach a safety piece of monofilament or nylon.
I find a little metallic clinking far less intrusive than a horn ;-)

dallasdivergirl
10-26-2007, 12:06
Signaling Devices, Tubes, Dive Alert (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/Scuba_Acc_signal.asp)

Check out this link. It shows the items being discussed

chace_nicole
10-26-2007, 12:14
I'm hearing waste of money & annoying. What is considered a 'good' signaling device. I am a pretty new diver that doesn't have a signaling device yet & want to make a good choice. Safety sausage? suggestions please.

gibson1525
10-26-2007, 12:18
i for one find the tank banger an essential piece of dive equipment. in fact i carry 2 on every dive if one breaks or if people start to ignore just one banger i can use both to get peoples attention.

they work extremely well as i've noticed that i can get divers to come over that were so far away i couldn't even see them. after they swim 200' to reach me they are always pleased to see the squirrel fish that i have discovered.

one diver was so impressed that he came over and cut one off my tank so that he could have one for himself. i didn't mind that much since i had a few extras on the boat for just such an occasion.

dallasdivergirl
10-26-2007, 12:28
I'm hearing waste of money & annoying. What is considered a 'good' signaling device. I am a pretty new diver that doesn't have a signaling device yet & want to make a good choice. Safety sausage? suggestions please.

The devices being discussed at the moment are underwater signaling. The safety sausage, mirror, whistle are for surface signaling for a boat or rescue.

I like having a simple d ring or snap to use for underwater signaling. You can unclip it from your bc and reach around and tap your tank. A knife can do the same thing. The underwater signaling is mostly for attracting your buddy's attention to show them something. It's not a necessary item.

chace_nicole
10-26-2007, 12:31

The devices being discussed at the moment are underwater signaling. The safety sausage, mirror, whistle are for surface signaling for a boat or rescue.

I like having a simple d ring or snap to use for underwater signaling. You can unclip it from your bc and reach around and tap your tank. A knife can do the same thing. The underwater signaling is mostly for attracting your buddy's attention to show them something. It's not a necessary item.

ahhh..thank you, I was confused;)

diversteve
10-26-2007, 12:42
what in the world is this.....???If you want one, it's already attached to the butt end of your knife...

I think the sub-ducks are hysterical. A dive buddy has one - not too many things sound like that. Always gets me to look.

For some reason I'm oblivious to tank bangers. My regular buddy has one and several times he's told me he was banging away like crazy to get my attention without waving - didn't want to scare off the fish.

A DM in Cayman told us he carried a shiny Craftsman wrench as a tank banger. Till something took it from him mid-bang - he thinks it might've been a barracuda. Now he carries a dull steel pipe...:smiley2:

BobbyWombat
10-26-2007, 12:46
But chace's question is valid: what is a good way to signal your buddy?

I can think of a couple:

1. Wave (only works if you have a good buddy that checks on you. This only intermittently works for me)
2. Flashlight, wave it on the ground where your buddy is looking.
3. Caribiner suggestion....kinda like a tank banger I guess.

What else? How does a newbie get thier buddy's attention without annoying everyone in the ocean?

gibson1525
10-26-2007, 12:59
1-2 bangs fine a few times throughout the dive. 10 bangs every time you see a fish is just annoying and unnecessary.

Chad
10-26-2007, 13:02
But chace's question is valid: what is a good way to signal your buddy?

I can think of a couple:

1. Wave (only works if you have a good buddy that checks on you. This only intermittently works for me)
2. Flashlight, wave it on the ground where your buddy is looking.
3. Caribiner suggestion....kinda like a tank banger I guess.

What else? How does a newbie get thier buddy's attention without annoying everyone in the ocean?

Stay close enough to your buddy to be able to get to them with a fin kick. Touch them to get their attention.:smiley20:

Tableleg
10-26-2007, 15:06
they are always pleased to see the squirrel fish that i have discovered. It's funny you bring up this experience. The one and only time I have ever found a squirrel fish, I could find anything to bang on my tank to get my buddy attention. Needless to say a tank banger went on my to-get list as I was telling everyone of my fish after the dive was over. :smiley20:

cyclone
10-26-2007, 16:12
I have mesh protection on my tank. So, I use my knife to bang my tank.

RonFrank
10-26-2007, 16:22
This thread is too funny. For the person that asked about safety devices, before you get onto ANY boat going into the open ocean, or a big lake, don't walk, but RUN and get a Safety sausage. The bigger the better.

We lost a couple on the Grove last July. It required two coast Guard boats, two police vessels, four dive boats, and a Helicopter to find them. If they had safety sausages our boat would have seen them immediately upon inflation of the SS. A signaling mirror is also a good idea.

This IMO should be Mandatory dive gear for open ocean boat diving.

RonFrank
10-26-2007, 16:24
I have mesh protection on my tank. So, I use my knife to bang my tank.

I assume this is so you don't damage the sides of the pool when you are diving?

Chad
10-26-2007, 16:28
This thread is too funny. For the person that asked about safety devices, before you get onto ANY boat going into the open ocean, or a big lake, don't walk, but RUN and get a Safety sausage. The bigger the better.

We lost a couple on the Grove last July. It required two coast Guard boats, two police vessels, four dive boats, and a Helicopter to find them. If they had safety sausages our boat would have seen them immediately upon inflation of the SS. A signaling mirror is also a good idea.

This IMO should be Mandatory dive gear for open ocean boat diving.

A signal whistle is also a good item to have.

MSilvia
10-26-2007, 16:52
Awww man, you almost made me spit beer all over my keyboard! You should warn a guy before making a crack like that.

dallasdivergirl
10-26-2007, 16:56
Awww man, you almost made me spit beer all over my keyboard! You should warn a guy before making a crack like that.

ok....so I wasn't the only one cracking up over that one.:smiley36:

I was loving the one about the guy that had some one cutting the tank banger off of his tank.:smiley20:

texarkandy
07-08-2008, 11:39
OK - I'm gonna "bump" this old thread.

After reading all the posts from the anti-tank banger crowd, I just don't get it. I've seen the same subject on SB with the same old criticisms of tang bangers.

We have tank bangers - they come in handy - (no, we don't go around being obnoxious & banging our tanks all through the dive.) There are occassions when it's handy just to get your buddy to look over at you so you can give them a hand signal.

(aside from that - there are many ways to be an obnoxious diver - just having a tank banger doesn't make you one)

Some say "just use your knife or some other metal object" - but that means you have to get that object out first from wherever it's attached or pocketed to use it - then put it back after you've rapped on your tank, & of course should you be fumble-fingered & drop it then you have to go get it or it may just be gone forever.

Why bother with all that when you can just have a simple inexpensive tank banger you can reach back & pop.

I'd think a sub-duck would be much more annoying to other divers (not too mention cost) As for an audible emergency surface signaling device, we have storm whistles ($5) clipped up high on our BC's: Storm Whistle, Accessories: Signaling, Trident, Storm Whistle (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=D611)
(very loud!)

If a tank-banger & storm whistle makes me a newbie-dork or cheapskate in the eyes of some, so be it. We like 'em.

character157
07-08-2008, 15:11
OK...the tank banger may be annoying but I did have use for it twice...I got the attention of a dive buddy to show him something-I used it once and he swam over. I try never to use it unless its important. Also, I put it on the tank before loading up the car and it kept the tank from rolling around...it was an easy on hand solution to a rolling tank. Not my favorite dive tool but it did work.

CompuDude
07-08-2008, 15:19
If a tank-banger & storm whistle makes me a newbie-dork or cheapskate in the eyes of some, so be it. We like 'em.

For the record, I am NOT a member of the "tank banger haters alliance".

As long as you're not obnoxious with them, I see absolutely no harm, and at least some value in them. They're not perfect, and in a perfect world would be completely unnecessary, but there are times that they fit the bill perfectly in this imperfect world.

I have tank bangers on most of my tanks. They live there, quietly ready should I choose to reach for them. Which is pretty rarely. But it's not like they cost a fortune.

diver 85
07-08-2008, 23:16

unless you see something----my wife will not dive without hers, a lime green one that's about 15 years old...........

diver 85
07-08-2008, 23:20
OK - I'm gonna "bump" this old thread.

After reading all the posts from the anti-tank banger crowd, I just don't get it. I've seen the same subject on SB with the same old criticisms of tang bangers.

We have tank bangers - they come in handy - (no, we don't go around being obnoxious & banging our tanks all through the dive.) There are occassions when it's handy just to get your buddy to look over at you so you can give them a hand signal.

(aside from that - there are many ways to be an obnoxious diver - just having a tank banger doesn't make you one)

Some say "just use your knife or some other metal object" - but that means you have to get that object out first from wherever it's attached or pocketed to use it - then put it back after you've rapped on your tank, & of course should you be fumble-fingered & drop it then you have to go get it or it may just be gone forever.

Why bother with all that when you can just have a simple inexpensive tank banger you can reach back & pop.

I'd think a sub-duck would be much more annoying to other divers (not too mention cost) As for an audible emergency surface signaling device, we have storm whistles ($5) clipped up high on our BC's: Storm Whistle, Accessories: Signaling, Trident, Storm Whistle (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=D611)
(very loud!)

After 23 years of diving, my wife will NOT make a dive without hers........This new breed of diver is sometimes a little stupid acting---lol----think they know it all.....(I think DIR had something to do with it????)

digitalman
07-08-2008, 23:35
Stay close enough to your buddy to be able to get to them with a fin kick. Touch them to get their attention.:smiley20:

Yes, but why not scare them every once in a while with the mysterious underwater duck fish?

IndyDiver
07-09-2008, 00:58

unless you see something----my wife will not dive without hers, a lime green one that's about 15 years old...........

Just bought two tank bangers last week for my wife and myself in order to keep my RMV low.

The 13 and 14 year old members of the family are diving with us this year. I think they are pretty responsible kids and will be safe divers, but previous experience on land has taught me that you need to keep an eye on them and correct their behavior at times. This requires getting their attention first, so tank bangers suddenly seemed like a good investment. I had a training session with them that when you hear the banger, you stop what you are doing and look at me. Overall, I think knowing I have the tank banger will lower my RMV by .2 while diving with the kids.:smiley20:

Eurodiver
07-09-2008, 01:28
My friend that owns a dive shop in Spain will not let you go out with him unless you have a "tank banger" dealers choice on what you use but you have to have one.
It is not like $4.50 will make you eat beans and weenies or mac and cheese all month.

Draq
07-09-2008, 05:49
When diving with a DM off a boat I get tired of hearing the quacking, banging, or rattling sound every couple of minutes. I usually feel obliged to find the source of the sound in case it is important, only to find the DM wants to show everyone another barracuda or eel, or whatever. One time on such a boat dive, not only did the DM have some sort of banger/shaker, but two divers also used them to communicate. It only took a few minutes before I stopped paying any attention to the noises and wished all three would just "shut up."

On the other hand, I shore dive with a few "buddies" and we typically split into pairs and the two pairs don't necessarily stay real close. I find some sort of noisemaker useful for signaling something interesting or "important" between the pairs. There isn't usually anyone else near enough to us to hear any banging, so I don't see much problem with irritating others. Two of us are photographers and we usually put one photographer with one non-photographer. We can use sound to attract the attention of each other to good photo subjects.

I have been using a stainless clip as a tank banger, but that gets cumbersome sometimes when I am also carrying a camera, so I am thinking of getting some sort of shaker thing.

Like so many things in life, moderation is important.

diver 85
07-09-2008, 07:21

Just bought two tank bangers last week for my wife and myself in order to keep my RMV low.

The 13 and 14 year old members of the family are diving with us this year. I think they are pretty responsible kids and will be safe divers, but previous experience on land has taught me that you need to keep an eye on them and correct their behavior at times. This requires getting their attention first, so tank bangers suddenly seemed like a good investment. I had a training session with them that when you hear the banger, you stop what you are doing and look at me. Overall, I think knowing I have the tank banger will lower my RMV by .2 while diving with the kids.:smiley20:

agree 100%, when diving with your children, the parents are really responsible for them in a way--@ least until they are no longer JrOW divers......A tank banger or any kind of an attention getter is most helpful in these dives and others along will just have to be a little more patient.....@ one time in my diving life(early 90's), I dove with my 12YO, 14 YO, and seventeen YO(girl) as my dive buddies.....Add to that my wife being along and my head never stopped moving(back and forth...lol)......

CompuDude
07-09-2008, 14:21
When diving with a DM off a boat I get tired of hearing the quacking, banging, or rattling sound every couple of minutes. I usually feel obliged to find the source of the sound in case it is important, only to find the DM wants to show everyone another barracuda or eel, or whatever. One time on such a boat dive, not only did the DM have some sort of banger/shaker, but two divers also used them to communicate. It only took a few minutes before I stopped paying any attention to the noises and wished all three would just "shut up."

On the other hand, I shore dive with a few "buddies" and we typically split into pairs and the two pairs don't necessarily stay real close. I find some sort of noisemaker useful for signaling something interesting or "important" between the pairs. There isn't usually anyone else near enough to us to hear any banging, so I don't see much problem with irritating others. Two of us are photographers and we usually put one photographer with one non-photographer. We can use sound to attract the attention of each other to good photo subjects.

I have been using a stainless clip as a tank banger, but that gets cumbersome sometimes when I am also carrying a camera, so I am thinking of getting some sort of shaker thing.

Like so many things in life, moderation is important.

Like many things in life, there is "use" and "abuse".

Using a tank banger for legitimate reasons is just fine. Abusing a tank banger (or any other noise maker) with blatant disregard for others around you, is NOT fine, and warrants a quiet discussion to correct the misbehavior.

Catt99
07-22-2008, 17:35
i for one find the tank banger an essential piece of dive equipment. in fact i carry 2 on every dive if one breaks or if people start to ignore just one banger i can use both to get peoples attention.

they work extremely well as i've noticed that i can get divers to come over that were so far away i couldn't even see them. after they swim 200' to reach me they are always pleased to see the squirrel fish that i have discovered.

one diver was so impressed that he came over and cut one off my tank so that he could have one for himself. i didn't mind that much since i had a few extras on the boat for just such an occasion.

:smiley32: Great post - I carry two on every tank as well, but for me its just a matter of having the banger on each side of the tank so I can reach back with either hand as circumstances warrant. I hadn't considered the need for redundancy, so I guess I'll add two more to each tank so even if one breaks during a dive (or is taken by an impressed or jealous diver), I still have the option of using either hand. Depending on how I space them on the tank, it's possible they'll issue different tones . . . I can see almost coming up with a song or something akin to morse code but cooler . . . I'll have to ask the DM on my next dive to save 5 minutes dive briefing time for me to go over the morse-like signals I'll be using during the dive so my fellow divers are fully up to speed.

In all seriousness, they're cheap and if you want one or it makes you or your buddy more comfortable, there's no reason not to have one assuming you have a few bucks to spare . . . I'd just ask any who decide to have one to remember the previous posters' advice - there is a difference between use and abuse, and many divers find more than the very rare tap pretty annoying.