PDA

View Full Version : Trying to find a good computer

UCFKnightDiver
10-26-2007, 15:01
kinda new to scuba diving, and am looking for a good low priced computer, that is nitrox capable, and ideas guys??? would like a console tho rather than a wrist mounted one.

BobbyWombat
10-26-2007, 15:13
Definitely check out the Oceanic VEO series, and do a forum search. There have been a couple other threads that talk about good cheap dive computers.

The VEO180 is a nice, cheap nitrox capable computer. You can get it mounted in a "SWIV" console with your SPG and (optionally) a compass.

For a bit more money you can get the two button VEO250, which I have. I think it is a great little computer....the functionality is almost exactly the same as the VEO180.

The VEO computers have the same features as some similar SUUNTO models, but are less expensive.

chace_nicole
10-26-2007, 15:22
kinda new to scuba diving, and am looking for a good low priced computer, that is nitrox capable, and ideas guys??? would like a console tho rather than a wrist mounted one.

What about this one rox? I'm a newby too, but this is a heck of a deal!

Aeris Atmos 2 Nitrox Console, Computers: Nitrox, Aeris, Aeris Atmos 2 Nitrox Console (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=Atmos22Gauge)

rktman26
10-26-2007, 19:50
Definitely check out the Oceanic VEO series, and do a forum search. There have been a couple other threads that talk about good cheap dive computers.

The VEO180 is a nice, cheap nitrox capable computer. You can get it mounted in a "SWIV" console with your SPG and (optionally) a compass.

For a bit more money you can get the two button VEO250, which I have. I think it is a great little computer....the functionality is almost exactly the same as the VEO180.

The VEO computers have the same features as some similar SUUNTO models, but are less expensive.

I've got the VEO 180nx, and love it. It's simple, easy to use, easy to read, and works well for my kind of diving (recreational).
Good luck on your search.

Puffer Fish
10-26-2007, 21:14
Aries and Oceanic are made by the same people...they work well and are simple to use (I have 2 of them for backups) Just look for a sale and there is almost always at least one at a great price.

Puffer Fish
10-26-2007, 21:15

What about this one rox? I'm a newby too, but this is a heck of a deal!

Aeris Atmos 2 Nitrox Console, Computers: Nitrox, Aeris, Aeris Atmos 2 Nitrox Console (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=Atmos22Gauge)
That is similar to the VEO250, nice computer, and a very good price.

BobbyWombat
10-26-2007, 21:34
I liked the Aeris computers too, recognizing that they have the same guts. i just liked the display layout of the VEO computers a lot. The layout and presentation of the display data just seemed to be very intuitive.

terfmop
10-27-2007, 09:54
I have a wrist mounted Veo250. I had originally thought I wanted a console mounted computer. However, you actually save a little bit of money if you buy the Oceanic analog gauge console and then the wrist mount computer. Aside from the small savings, you get a backup reading for your depth/temp.

BobbyWombat
10-27-2007, 10:10
Yeah, I have the same setup: VEO 250 on my wrist. I generally prefer to have my DC on my wrist so I can give it easy quick glances and easily keep an eye on my ascent rate.

TxScubaBear
10-27-2007, 15:10
I started with a Veo 180Nx, was cheap enough and did what I wanted; after AOW classes I "graduated" to a Veo 250, wanted one with a bit more, after seeing a few of them in action.

BobbyWombat
10-27-2007, 16:38
rox, are you any closer to a decision on this, yet?

Xspect
10-28-2007, 12:14
I use to have a veo 250. I loved it but I kinda want wireless.

Puffer Fish
10-28-2007, 12:34
I use to have a veo 250. I loved it but I kinda want wireless.

Nice when wireless works.. but it is far more prone to failure. I have both, with my primary being a scubapro wireless. It has been in repair twice this year...but my Oceanic has been working for several years without an issue.

Jipps
10-28-2007, 12:43
The Atmos 2 and the VEO 250 are great computers, the atmos two is the older model of the Aeris XR2, its normally a little cheaper thant he 250 but if i remember right it has the same features. So short of going air integrated i would say go w/ the atmos two for money reasons.

Puffer Fish
10-28-2007, 12:48
The Atmos 2 and the VEO 250 are great computers, the atmos two is the older model of the Aeris XR2, its normally a little cheaper thant he 250 but if i remember right it has the same features. So short of going air integrated i would say go w/ the atmos two for money reasons.

Good advice...