PDA

View Full Version : Looking for 120 Steel Tank

cyclone
10-26-2007, 21:45
I am looking for 120, 7.25 dia, steel tank. Or I'll trade my almost new catalina 80 tank, plus I will add cash. PM me...

Capt Hook
10-27-2007, 10:08
You just started diving, what do you need a 120 for?

RoadRacer1978
10-27-2007, 10:44
Maybe he breathes heavily :smiley36:

Travelnsj
10-27-2007, 11:07
I have one sitting in my Garage.....it would love to have a new owner.....I used to use this when I dove locally and was a major Air Hog!....being I discovered warm waters and an abudance of fish out in the Indo-Pacific region...and I have gotten a bit better on Air....I have no use for it.

cyclone
10-27-2007, 21:58
More capacity, I guess... :smiley36: The last time I dove with my wife, at the end of the dive my end of pressure was 600 psi and her's still 1200 psi. We ended up our dive early because of me.:smiley5: If your giving away one, I will praise you all my life.:smiley31:

cyclone
10-27-2007, 21:58
I have one sitting in my Garage.....it would love to have a new owner.....I used to use this when I dove locally and was a major Air Hog!....being I discovered warm waters and an abudance of fish out in the Indo-Pacific region...and I have gotten a bit better on Air....I have no use for it. PM sent...

cyclone
10-27-2007, 22:08
Maybe he breathes heavily :smiley36: Yeah it's funny to admit it. But I am proud that I needed it for the reason that I enjoy diving and needed to dive more. I just feel sad sometimes ending up our dive because I already ran out of air. My wife uses too little and it's amazing that she's good at it. And come on guys a little pettiness to newly certified diver will be much appreciated. :smiley19: At least, I am not like those who just let their equipment gather dust after the certification.:smiley13:

Travelnsj
10-27-2007, 23:55
More capacity, I guess... :smiley36: The last time I dove with my wife, at the end of the dive my end of pressure was 600 psi and her's still 1200 psi. We ended up our dive early because of me.:smiley5: If your giving away one, I will praise you all my life.:smiley31:

600 PSI????...that's another 10 minutes???...oh....My Bad....your a new diver.....be on the surface with 500!!!!:smiley20:

Seriously....I am still an Air Hog after 450 dives.....you must get some dives under your belt...practice...makes better...and relax:smiley20:....I used to dive with that 120...when i used to dive CA.....Last time I dove CA was 2001....it is just one heavy SOB....use a 100. When you travel there are a few places in this world that have the 100's and usually you have to reserve as they are limited. 80's are the standard.....if you bought a 120...within a few months in will be in the corner of your garage....but if you are coming through SD or LA let me know love to make that deal.

texdiveguy
10-28-2007, 00:00
A steel hp120 is a physically large and heavy tank-plus if your lds does not fill past 3000psi you are not taking advantage of the tanks full capasity.....I would work on your skill of breathing and relaxing during your first dives.....a larger tank is not ness. a solution for your issue.

cyclone
10-28-2007, 00:36
Hmmm...after reading this. I still want a 120 Steel Tank:smiley13:
Dive Rite Express -- How to Select a SCUBA Tank (http://www.diveriteexpress.com/library/tanks.shtml)

cyclone
10-28-2007, 00:41
This is just the same size hence the same weight but obviously has better capacity than aluminum 80 right?
HP Steel 120 Scuba Tank High Pressure X7-120, Scuba Tanks, Worthington, HP Steel 120 Scuba Tank High Pressure X7-120 (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?product_id=X7120)

Bigg_Budd
10-28-2007, 08:24
I own this tank, and it's not the same size/weight as an AL80. It's the same diameter, but it's much taller, and about 10 pounds heavier than a steel 80.

One thing you need to consider is proper weighting. Now, I'm a big dude at 6 foot 300 lbs. Diving this tank, I was able to strip 6 pounds of lead off. I only dive 2 pounds now in fresh water.

From your avatar, you look to be a smaller guy. I would bet that you'd be really overweighted with this tank. With less than 25 dives under your belt, no offense, you may want to listen to txdiveguy and work on the breathing before strapping on a boat anchor.

Also, don't feel bad about your wife being a bird. Female divers typically breath less air than us men. Another option to consider would be to get her an AL63. That would balance out with your 80 pretty well, and wouldn't require the capacity (or cost) of the steel 120.

Something to think about.

Peace...

Disneymom
10-28-2007, 11:54
Practice instead of spending more money. Texdiveguy and Budd both make valid and accurate points.

terrillja
10-28-2007, 21:42
I just bought 2 steel 119s, one for me and one for my dive buddy (my dad) we tend to do a lot of shallow dives around where we live, picking up things and whatnot, and since we are about 25-30' on most of out shallow dives, having a big tank is nice, since it gives us more time and we already don't have much if any of a deco obligation.

For what it's worth, we already both dive dry suits, so the extra weight is a plus.

scubarealtor
11-01-2007, 15:36
don't tell PADI, but i like an AL100 because on a shallow dive i have enough gas for 2 30-40 minute dives. with two of these guys i can do 4 shores dives before i have to find a diveshop.

Buoyant1
11-01-2007, 18:06
don't tell PADI, but i like an AL100 because on a shallow dive i have enough gas for 2 30-40 minute dives. with two of these guys i can do 4 shores dives before i have to find a diveshop.

my instructor said "I didn't hear that" when I used the same cylinder for my navigation AND peak buoyancy dives during my AOW class!

I like my 119's for the extra weight they take off me, and the security of having more gas for contingency. Most of my dives I come up with a decent amount of gas, I don't think I've ever sucked it down past about 600-700...those were on deeper longer dives as well....

cmburch
02-28-2008, 11:50
The rentals I used were Steel LP95 for me; and my wife could use a LP75 or LP95. Most of the people I dive with have Al80's. I originally purchased 2 Al80's for my wife and I because of price and I did not know any better. I used the Al80 for about 10 years. My buddies still use them. I bought a HP100 about 9 years ago. The diameters are the same, the weight is about the same 32/33lb, the HP100 is 2" shorter 24" H - Al80 26"H. The buoyancy characteristics are completely different. The HP100 is my ideal tank. It is very similar in size and weight to the Al, but has many extra benefits. I was able to drop over 5lb off my belt (Big Plus). It seems like I am carrying less weight when hiking down cliffs to get to the water. Everyone is not getting perturbed at me anymore (Big Plus) because we have to surface early because I sucked up all my air swimming up and down, and around all the rocks and boulders looking for a fish to kill. Now I have plenty of air to spare when we surface vs my buddies. For me, a larger capacity tank would not make sense unless I was diving alone or with someone else with a larger tank. The larger steel tanks weigh more (bad for hiking) and I would not use the additional air because I am surfacing with my buddies who have Al80's. I think I can swim up/down/around rocks and boulders easier with the HP100. I recently purchased HP130 for easy access shore dives and for boat dives. These are 10 lbs heavier than Al80&HP100 and I definitely do not want to do any hard hikes down cliffs with it. I got 2, so my buddy can use one.

Grin
02-29-2008, 08:27
A steel hp120 is a physically large and heavy tank-plus if your lds does not fill past 3000psi you are not taking advantage of the tanks full capasity.....I would work on your skill of breathing and relaxing during your first dives.....a larger tank is not ness. a solution for your issue.

I wouldn't let this statment scare you off.
A HP120 7.25 is about 2 inches taller than a AL 80 and the same 7.25 inches around. It's virtually the same size. The steel tank wieghs more but you should weigh close to the same with the steel tank as the AL 80. Remember for every lb the steel tank weighs more than a AL 80, you remove a lb of lead from your weight belt. In the end you weigh the same, maybe less. Just slap a pressure gauge on your tank when you pick it up, and make them fill it to 3500-3600 if it isn't already there. They should have the capability. If not you still are getting around 100CF with only 3000. Steel tanks are superior. Expensive but superior.
Al 80s are OK, but once you go 120 steels you can't hardly go back to the Al 80s. The only reason I don't sell my 80s is they are not worth hardly anything, so I might as well have some backup tanks ready to go. And they are good for shallow diving.

texdiveguy
02-29-2008, 08:56

I wouldn't let this statment scare you off.
A HP120 7.25 is about 2 inches taller than a AL 80 and the same 7.25 inches around. It's virtually the same size. The steel tank wieghs more but you should weigh close to the same with the steel tank as the AL 80. Remember for every lb the steel tank weighs more than a AL 80, you remove a lb of lead from your weight belt. In the end you weigh the same, maybe less. Just slap a pressure gauge on your tank when you pick it up, and make them fill it to 3500-3600 if it isn't already there. They should have the capability. If not you still are getting around 100CF with only 3000. Steel tanks are superior. Expensive but superior.
Al 80s are OK, but once you go 120 steels you can't hardly go back to the Al 80s. The only reason I don't sell my 80s is they are not worth hardly anything, so I might as well have some backup tanks ready to go. And they are good for shallow diving.

My statement was not to 'scare' the OP off....I was replying to his specific needs. I dive a steel HP130 all the time I am in a single configuration. In the case of the OP original question and further explanation....a large steel tank might not ness. be his solution. I agree with you that for some of us we love our large heavy steel tanks....but just maybe this diver needed other advise to help improve his breathing skills prior to jumping into a large steel single.

cummings66
02-29-2008, 12:25
Remember for every lb the steel tank weighs more than a AL 80, you remove a lb of lead from your weight belt. In the end you weigh the same, maybe less.

That's not correct, you can't do this and come out right because there are many steel tanks out there that way close to 50 lbs, that's 17 lbs more than the al tank.

You remove the amount of lead based on buoyancy characteristic, not weight.

An AL80 is 4.4 lbs positive empty, some steel tanks are 0 and some are -5 lbs negative. You can see from that that the amount of lead removed will vary based on the steel tank buoyancy characteristic and not weight.

Take old HP100's vs new HP100's. You'd remove less with the old ones and more with the new ones. Why? The new ones are more negative when empty. But not as much as the difference in weight. You can't do it with say HP80's vs AL80's, math won't ever work that way.

Just a post to clarify for others, I'm sure you know it but the wording to me was confusing.

Grin
03-01-2008, 08:42
Remember for every lb the steel tank weighs more than a AL 80, you remove a lb of lead from your weight belt. In the end you weigh the same, maybe less.

That's not correct, you can't do this and come out right because there are many steel tanks out there that way close to 50 lbs, that's 17 lbs more than the al tank.

An AL80 is 4.4 lbs positive empty, some steel tanks are 0 and some are -5 lbs negative. You can see from that that the amount of lead removed will vary based on the steel tank buoyancy characteristic and not weight.

Take old HP100's vs new HP100's. You'd remove less with the old ones and more with the new ones. Why? The new ones are more negative when empty. But not as much as the difference in weight. You can't do it with say HP80's vs AL80's, math won't ever work that way.

Just a post to clarify for others, I'm sure you know it but the wording to me was confusing.

You are correct, good point! I did kind of state that wrong.
The main point is, if you can afford steel 120s, or something similar, they rule. The only good thing I can think of for my old AL 80s is dives in water around 30 ft or so, and I would still rather have a steel tank for that. I'm sure there are some aplications for them for some people. But in most cases price is why people use AL80s.

texdiveguy
03-01-2008, 12:55

You are correct, good point! I did kind of state that wrong.
The main point is, if you can afford steel 120s, or something similar, they rule. The only good thing I can think of for my old AL 80s is dives in water around 30 ft or so, and I would still rather have a steel tank for that. I'm sure there are some aplications for them for some people. But in most cases price is why people use AL80s.

AL80's make wonderful deco bottles for deco divers.