PDA

View Full Version : Notification of being quoted

BobbyWombat
10-27-2007, 16:25
I don't know if the bulletin software has this capability, but it would be nice if you could turn on an option to be notified when someone quotes one of your posts.

There are threads that I post on, but don't subscribe to. But It would be nice to get a notice if someone comments on my posting, or asks a question.

chace_nicole
10-27-2007, 16:28
I'll second that. If its possible to do, it would be nice. There have been times when I read through an older thread that I posted on, and someone has asked me a specific question & I feel bad because I didn't answer them or the response is very late.

Great suggestion:smiley20:

dludwig
10-27-2007, 17:24
I agree that this is a very good idea. It would be quite helpful :smiley20:

diversteve
10-27-2007, 17:34
I don't think that's possible within the .vBulletin software functionality. Unless there's a 3rd party hack for it.

Stingray Brett
10-27-2007, 17:57
That would be really nice! That would just make the board that much better!

ReefHound
10-27-2007, 19:41
Anything is possible with a hack but I think the closest thing with stock vbulletin is to set your options to be notified of new replies to a subscribed thread and then set to automatically subscribe to threads in which you post.

reservecops
10-27-2007, 20:28
I don't know if the bulletin software has this capability, but it would be nice if you could turn on an option to be notified when someone quotes one of your posts.

There are threads that I post on, but don't subscribe to. But It would be nice to get a notice if someone comments on my posting, or asks a question.Not a standard feature of vB, nor have I seen a hack (add-on) for it.

And, quite frankly, an add-on (or feature) that did that would do little more than double the work load of the DB and mail server.

ReefHound already pointed it out - subscriptions are a happy median between an email for EVERY time your message is quoted and NO notification.

BobbyWombat
10-27-2007, 21:55
subscriptions are a happy median between an email for EVERY time your message is quoted and NO notification.

I understand what you guys are saying. It might not be possible or practical to implement.....I'm just saying I think it would be a nice feature if I wanted and chose to recieve a notification every time one of my posts was quoted.

chace_nicole
10-27-2007, 22:06

There are threads that I post on, but don't subscribe to. But It would be nice to get a notice if someone comments on my posting, or asks a question.Not a standard feature of vB, nor have I seen a hack (add-on) for it.

And, quite frankly, an add-on (or feature) that did that would do little more than double the work load of the DB and mail server.

ReefHound already pointed it out - subscriptions are a happy median between an email for EVERY time your message is quoted and NO notification.

what are the subscriptions?

diversteve
10-28-2007, 03:13
what are the subscriptions?You can subscribe to this or any other thread on a .vBulletin board. This will allow you to receive e-mail notification when a subscribed thread has new posts. There are several options for this notification ranging from none to instant.

To subscribe to a thread, select that option from the Thread Tools option in the menubar at the top of the post.

To see your subscribed threads:
http://forum.scubatoys.com/subscription.php?do=viewsubscription

To set your default subscription frequency (2nd box under Messaging):
http://forum.scubatoys.com/profile.php?do=editoptions

BobbyWombat
10-28-2007, 10:28
In addition to DiverSteve's input:

When you log in, you can click on "User CP" to see if there are any updates to threads you are subscribed to.

chace_nicole
10-28-2007, 13:24
sweet...thanks guys