PDA

View Full Version : Toothpaste on new mask?

Cichlid
07-18-2007, 22:29
I read somewhere to treat your new mask with some toothpaste to remove
some type of factory film coating. I heard to stay away from mint or
any other special feaure like whitening. Any suggestions on a
brand/type? Do you guys even do this?

mwhities
07-18-2007, 22:31
Colgate, just the regular old school stuff. The rest can be to abrasive.

Michael

Joew
07-18-2007, 22:48
Use regular toothpaste, not the gel stuff. Just put a dab on each lens and rub it around for a minute or so, then rinse well. You only need to do this once when the mask is new. If spit or defog doesn't keep the mask from fogging up then you might need to give it another scrub.

reservecops
07-18-2007, 22:58
I read somewhere to treat your new mask with some toothpaste to remove
some type of factory film coating. I heard to stay away from mint or
any other special feaure like whitening. Any suggestions on a
brand/type? Do you guys even do this?
Yea. SoftScrub, not toothpaste, for me.

Cichlid
07-18-2007, 23:01
I have some SoftScrub, that works ok?

reservecops
07-18-2007, 23:06
Yes, just go easy with the pressure. Squirt it in and rub it arond pretty good with your fingers. Remember, you're not scrubbing the piss out of it, you just want to remove the film.

Joew
07-18-2007, 23:08
I have some SoftScrub, that works ok?

Yes, any mild abbrassive will work. Soft scrub works fine. There are also some commercially available product that are just for cleaning new masks, but I wouldn't waste your money on them.

Cichlid
07-18-2007, 23:12
Awesome, thanks guys!

przeor
07-19-2007, 01:04
The toothpaste will make your mask smell nicer than softs crub though!

Joew
07-19-2007, 01:22

Yeah, sometimes it takes a few dives before the mint smell goes away.

Cichlid
07-19-2007, 01:23
Ewww, I was told mint might irritate your eyes.

Joew
07-19-2007, 01:25
It's not that bad. Just make sure you rinse it well before you use it.

CompuDude
07-19-2007, 03:24
I'd rather have mint in my eyes than soft scrub fumes.

You know, it's funny, I had to do this for the very first time in all the years I've been diving, just a few weeks ago. It was the first time I ever dove with a new mask that did NOT have prescription lenses. (Thanks to the surf gods I was "between masks" briefly, but needed to do some work so I had to go blind until my new one came in.) Prescription lenses don't have the coating that the plain factory glass has.

TAH 73
07-19-2007, 06:49
All about ther minty mask smell, and when I picked up a new mask I looked around the house looking for a "non specialty" toothpaste and wasn't able to find one. Ended up going to get a tube and rather than pick upa whole giant tubeI was able to pick up a little tube from the travel size section, that now resides in my "save a dive kit". It has been used a couple of timesat pool sessions an on a couple of dives.
<DIV></DIV>

reservecops
07-19-2007, 07:22
I'd rather have mint in my eyes than soft scrub fumes.
Rinse it out IMPROPERLY and, sure, you'll have mint or SoftScrub fumes.

Rinse it out PROPERLY and you don't have to worry about either.

I've prepped half a dozen masks myself with SoftScrub, and not once have I ever had 'SoftScrub fumes' in my eyes.

Vercingetorix
07-19-2007, 17:28
When you give it the toothepaste treatment, do it about 4 to 6 times, not just once. This ensures removal of the film. Rinse thoroughly between each cycl.
<DIV></DIV>You may wish to repeat the toothepaste treatment every few dives or so. This will help eliminate the other gunk that builds up from lake water, defoggers, etc.This procedurewill reduce fogging during your dive.

jacewindu
07-19-2007, 18:32
i've done the toothpaste treatment just fine - aside from a clean smelling (hopefully not irritating) mask, you can see everything crystal clear :)

kevinj1
07-23-2007, 13:56
Im all about the toothpaste when I get a new mask. It usually works well and smells good. After that, the occasional luggy does the job---lol

robo
07-31-2007, 09:18
How about anti-fog solution? What's it made of?

DirtyWaterIL
07-31-2007, 15:19
I used mint once and it was a mistake. my eyes burned prety bad for the first few minuites i had my mask on and i had to take it off underwater and scerub it with my hand to get the rest of the residue off.

TxHockeyGuy
07-31-2007, 16:11
How about anti-fog solution? What's it made of?

Basically really expensive baby shampoo.

I tried using toothpaste on my new mask (Atomic UltraClear) and it helped but it was still fogging. One session with soft scrub took care of it. I rinsed it out well and had no problems with fumes.

DirtyWaterIL
07-31-2007, 16:35
Come to think of it, on my newest mask, i never did scrub it with toothpaste and didn't have any problems. but I might have just been lucky.

Willar
07-31-2007, 22:31
Some masks have a special coating on the inside designed to reduce fogging. You do NOT want to use any abrasive cleaner on these, just a non-abrasive defog like Sea Drops. I just bought a new mask like this and have no fogging whatsoever.

thor
08-01-2007, 10:55
Also the new Atomic masks seem to be treated with some kind of toothpaste resistant film.

mike_s
08-01-2007, 11:36
baking soda works ok too, as does soft scrub.

I've found that some of the "new" toothpastes that don't have abrasives in them just don't seem to cut it anymore with cleaning masks.

Wrayne
08-25-2007, 00:29
I used minty gel toothpaste with the little abrasives and whitening formula on my first mask. It smelled nice, but never did stop fogging up.

Is the NOOB sign flashing over my head now? :smiley29:

cummings66
08-25-2007, 06:57
Yup it is. I've tried lots of things on it but plain toothpaste works well for it. I get the travel tube sizes myself.

Darthwader
08-25-2007, 11:36
Use regular toothpaste, not the gel stuff. Just put a dab on each lens and rub it around for a minute or so, then rinse well. You only need to do this once when the mask is new. If spit or defog doesn't keep the mask from fogging up then you might need to give it another scrub.
I thought I thouroughly scrubbed out my Aqualung Atlantis (talk about high volume) with colgate but this thing still looks like a steam bath on my face! conversly my Sea Quest mask has never seen toothpaste and I've never had fogging issues with it.
I just rescrubbed my Atlantis mask and am anxious to see if it still fogs up. I need to try the softscrub idea though

mark44883
08-25-2007, 17:12
i use baby tooth paste for defog

Jaymeany
08-25-2007, 17:24
we use baby shampoo and use a rinse bucket. this way by your tird dive you just dunk your mask and then you are good to go.

CrzyJay456
08-25-2007, 17:36
we use baby shampoo and use a rinse bucket. this way by your tird dive you just dunk your mask and then you are good to go.

so the shampoo actually stays on the mask?
is this what most dive boats have in a spray bottle?

kevinj1
08-25-2007, 19:26
this is the best stuff on the market--in my opinion.

http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=500PSI

Jaymeany
08-25-2007, 19:40
I alternate between sea drop and baby shampoo. I bough sea drops and have free refills but the bucket is easier (and smells good).

gtjason2000
08-25-2007, 21:54
i am going to have to try some baby shampoo. I guess its like the sea drops you have to rinse off, not like the sea gold?

dludwig
08-25-2007, 22:53
I was of the impression the toothpaste was only used the 1st time w/ a new mask to take off adhesives from the factory then Sea Drops could do their job. I have a bottle somewhere in my dive bag but usually use good old fashioned spit

Suther2136
08-25-2007, 23:27
I suspect that tooth paste is a milder abrasive than softscrub, so I'd do the paste.

Charlotte Smith
08-25-2007, 23:34
That is what we all use...toothpaste takes too many scrubbings!
Soft Scrub is the way!

markndeana
08-26-2007, 15:51
Hmmmmm! you learn something new everyday.

Travelnsj
08-26-2007, 18:01
Just got a new ScubaPro Frameless....did the toothpaste thing....still fogged....finally used softscrub 3 times finally did the trick....I have also used Sea Drops for years...just switched to Baby Shampoo...big bottle at Target 99 cents....works like a charm.

deepdiver47
08-26-2007, 19:25

so the shampoo actually stays on the mask?
is this what most dive boats have in a spray bottle?

Not sure what they use. Some dive ops actually use dish washer detergent. I use the shampoo and it stays tacky enough until you are ready to dive. I may do this as early as 1 hour before I dive. Then wash it off just before I do the backroll.

wxboy911
08-27-2007, 07:26
I used Colgate paste and it took care of the coating-now I use the baby shampoo or the 500 psi defog-no troubles!

Osprey
08-28-2007, 09:21
Ok, someone mentioned not using tooth paste on corrective lens masks. Is this true for all masks with lenses installed? Or certain brands only?

CompuDude
08-28-2007, 10:37
Ok, someone mentioned not using tooth paste on corrective lens masks. Is this true for all masks with lenses installed? Or certain brands only?

Corrective lenses (all of them) use optical glass and are never in the factory where the the silicon gets on the plain glass (part of the assembly process). Completely different process... no need for the scrubbing to remove a coating that doesn't exist.

The optical lenses are not usually even manufactured in the same plant... that is generally sub-contracted out to a company that makes prescription glasses, and they are packaged separately.

I've always worn masks with corrective lenses... and I've never had to scrub mine out. In fact, I didn't even learn that trick until years after I was certified, simply because the shop I bought my mask from didn't tell me at the time since I bought it with prescription inserts, and I used the same mask for over 15 years!

rubberduck
08-28-2007, 11:10
I used toothpaste but the 1st time didn't do it. i had to go back for a second treatment. So I propably would try the softscrub next time.

scubasamurai
08-28-2007, 19:31
ah baby shampoo worked really well for me and it is also a great defogger as well.

plot
08-28-2007, 21:45
i rub the piss out of it

Travelnsj
08-28-2007, 22:15
I used toothpaste but the 1st time didn't do it. i had to go back for a second treatment. So I propably would try the softscrub next time.

Of the four masks I've had toothpaste just did not do the job...had to use softscrub...I had one mares x-vision that nothing worked....had to send it back.

chinacat46
08-28-2007, 22:32
toothpaste has always done the trick for me

MxDiver
08-29-2007, 00:44
With a new mask I just take a lighter to it, you can actually see the protective coating burning off, and then just wash it off. After that I use baby shampoo the very best defogger there is.

RikRaeder
08-29-2007, 04:02
LDS (in Oakalnd, CA) recommended Bon Ami (a mild scouring powder) for a new mask. My original OW instructor recommended leaving a little water in your mask while diving to help against fogging.

Xspect
08-29-2007, 20:51
sandpaper for me:smilie39:

frankc420
08-29-2007, 21:09
I cleaned my mask when I bought it 8-10 times before someone told me to put it in the dishwasher. mwhities used my mask in Cozumel because his was leaking. He put it in the dishwasher and made sure the heating coil didn't come on... worked like a charm!

DiverBob
09-05-2007, 15:53

...and your mask will have less cavities!! :smilie39:

(Sorry! I couldn't resist!)

Seriously, I do use regular old toothpaste on new masks and after I return home from a dive trip in the Carib, I clean it with toothpaste again to get the saltwater, slime, defog film off the lenses. That's the key to preventing fogging is keeping the inside of the glass clean. Just like the inside of your car windshield! :smiley2:

Asking a silly question, Is baby shampoo "reef safe" as a defogger?

Charlotte Smith
09-05-2007, 16:10

...and your mask will have less cavities!! :smilie39:

(Sorry! I couldn't resist!)

Seriously, I do use regular old toothpaste on new masks and after I return home from a dive trip in the Carib, I clean it with toothpaste again to get the saltwater, slime, defog film off the lenses. That's the key to preventing fogging is keeping the inside of the glass clean. Just like the inside of your car windshield! :smiley2:

Asking a silly question, Is baby shampoo "reef safe" as a defogger?
Haven't used baby shampoo and even though it says no tears it does irritate a little so I can't imagine living with that all day...I use Sea Drops Gold and nothing else...I Never Fog...

Vercingetorix
09-05-2007, 17:07
Asking a silly question, Is baby shampoo "reef safe" as a defogger?Use very diluted form of baby shampoo. For instance, 1 tablespoon of shampoo to a quart of water. Doesn't burn the eyes and defogs the mask.

Spray mask. Immediately dunk mask in water. Immediately put mask on and dive. The reason for "immediate" is to prevent fogging from humidity before diving.

As for toothepaste. Use it after every few dives to rid yourself of scum/film that builds up on mask. This will help to defog.

Travelnsj
09-17-2007, 00:13
Got my new Mares X vision today...pulled out the tooth paste....then thought about it...headed to Bali and Wakatobi...do not want to deal with a fogging issue....pulled out the softscrub....with a lite scoring pad.....no film left on that mask!

mdwestgrl
09-17-2007, 08:38
We keep the tube of regular Colgate toothpaste (not gel) in with our scuba gear and use it on our masks about every 5 dives, in between we use spit or defog.

sudnit5
09-17-2007, 09:16
If you are putting your mask in the dishwasher, do you have the soap in there as well or just a rinse cycle?

dondi518
09-18-2007, 02:10
colgate works pretty good! thanks for the tips guys!

cheebaweebie
09-18-2007, 08:59
buy slate cleaner. Samm bottle is inexpensive and will last for ever. Treat your mask new and every few months or so. Works awesome. toothpast does work well but don't use any of the new faangled crap. use basic generic white toothpaste and rub it in HARD. Some one else may have said this throughout the posts but I didn't have the time to read through all of them. So if this is a re-run, sorry. See ya