PDA

View Full Version : Protect your computer

Scubakraut
10-28-2007, 00:08
I use McAfee, really great to protect your system.
McAfee Download (http://click.linksynergy.com/fs-bin/click?id=xQeEIFwfldg&offerid=134470.10000286&type=4&subid=0)

cyclone
10-28-2007, 00:16
I use McAfee, really great to protect your system.
McAfee Download (http://click.linksynergy.com/fs-bin/click?id=xQeEIFwfldg&offerid=134470.10000286&type=4&subid=0)
Hehehe, to tell you honestly I know a lot of my friends can disable your McAfee antivirus easily. They are very poor with their programs. I have worked with them for years since I started with programming. I'll just probably use Windows.

mitsuguy
10-28-2007, 09:39
all of those antivirus programs help the average consumer a little, but in all honesty will not stop the real malicious ones... I've found the best protection is running linux, but I still have windows machines as well... a weekly virus scan run from an online server (no way for the virus to screw up virus definitions), and I also use a combination of windows defender and spybot to ensure no spyware...

really, though, I haven't had either in months - I attribute this partially to using firefox/flock as my primary browser and staying away from questionable sites...

Puffer Fish
10-28-2007, 10:01
I've had far more trouble with nasty forms of spyware.. and PC tools works great at that. McAfee sucked (as I am still running it).

dludwig
10-28-2007, 10:13
As long as you are not downloading from sites like Limewire, you probably are at more risk for spyware than a virus. I don't even have virus protection on my laptop but I do run Adaware often :smiley29:

Steve Scuba
10-28-2007, 12:31
I'm a big fan of AVG free version. I put it on all the computers I build for friends and family. Never had a problem or complaints. And they also have a free version for Linux machines.

AVG Free Advisor - Installation files & documentation (http://free.grisoft.com/doc/5390/us/frt/0)

UCFKnightDiver
10-28-2007, 17:20
I use avg had mcafee, but it was really annoying. and when i went into ctrl alt delete task manager, it wouldnt let me end some of its proccesses, so i deleted it

RoadRacer1978
10-28-2007, 17:24
I have tried McAfee, but prefer Norton. I run it and adaware both. Keeps my system runnig fine so far.

Suther2136
10-28-2007, 19:44
I have AVG anti-virus and CA firewall. Also I run "Ad aware" and "Spybot" regularly. Keeps things pretty clean. Once in a while a break out "Hijackthis" to take a deeper look.

bubble-head
10-28-2007, 19:49
I'm mostly a Norton user. Ad Aware has really worked well for me too, plus it's free, making it even better.

Kunk35
10-28-2007, 19:51
Avast also makes a very good free virus protection program. As far as spyware, to really get thorough protection, you pretty much have to have and use several different ones. What one will miss, another will detect and clean. Be prepared to spend some on a few of the best ones out there.

tremtech
10-28-2007, 20:19
I'm a big fan of AVG free version. I put it on all the computers I build for friends and family. Never had a problem or complaints. And they also have a free version for Linux machines.

AVG Free Advisor - Installation files & documentation (http://free.grisoft.com/doc/5390/us/frt/0)
I too use Avg free on all my builds and repairs because most users are not smart enough to update their definitions let alone re-up their virus scanner contract. Usually when a victim brings me a computer with a problem and they tell me that they have Norton or McAfee on their computer,I find that not only has their virus package expired about 5 months ago I find that they have about 3 browser bars running and Limewire and about 5 different antispyware programs downloaded that have only run once about 3 months ago, also that most of the windows updates havent been downloaded. Usually I run a Scan from Kaspersky.com and it will find a bunch of somethings, then I run Adaware SE it will find 120 somethings, then I uninstall all of pete nortons junk and install Avg free soft run it , then run SuperAnti-spyware and it will find 20 more somethings. I then try to explain to the user that if they dont run these program at least weekly that they can pay me to fix there walmart HP again in about 3 months.