PDA

View Full Version : Suunto Computers

Travelnsj
10-28-2007, 00:18
Just learned a valuable lesson about Suunto Computers. I have the D9 and the Cobra. I just returned from a Dive trip where I did 40 dives. Usually when I go on a trip I dive about 20 to 25 dives and if I am on 80's or 100's (which I will deeper dive on) my dives are about 45 minutes to an hour.

When I got home I went to download my dives...only 24 DIVES??? What the Hell????.....I called Sunnto right away...easy answer....I forgot I had my computers set at 10 second sample rates and I was diving 60 to 75 minute dives.....I now have reset my computers to a 20 second sampling rate....!!!!

Aussie
10-28-2007, 07:05
Just learned a valuable lesson about Suunto Computers. I have the D9 and the Cobra. I just returned from a Dive trip where I did 40 dives. Usually when I go on a trip I dive about 20 to 25 dives and if I am on 80's or 100's (which I will deeper dive on) my dives are about 45 minutes to an hour.

When I got home I went to download my dives...only 24 DIVES??? What the Hell????.....I called Sunnto right away...easy answer....I forgot I had my computers set at 10 second sample rates and I was diving 60 to 75 minute dives.....I now have reset my computers to a 20 second sampling rate....!!!!

Guess thats an issue when you download your dives. I personal dont download my data as it does nothing for me.

Why not have the sample rate of 30s or 60s?

Aussie

Travelnsj
10-28-2007, 08:22
Always like to know what is going on...If I could do a 1 sec sample rate I would....but regardless I now have a 20 sec sample rate. The only reason I download the data is for historical reference. Some people ask me water temps..sea conditions etc....or if I am returning somewhere I will go thru my favorite dives and want to do thoses again.

Puffer Fish
10-28-2007, 09:52
Always like to know what is going on...If I could do a 1 sec sample rate I would....but regardless I now have a 20 sec sample rate. The only reason I download the data is for historical reference. Some people ask me water temps..sea conditions etc....or if I am returning somewhere I will go thru my favorite dives and want to do thoses again.
I love the way they look.. but there are a bunch of issues with Suunto that I don't like, that being one of them. I'm not a fan of how they do their calculations and their sampling rate.

BobbyWombat
10-28-2007, 10:15
I prefer a higher sampling rate myself. I could exceed the allowable ascent rate for 25 seconds, and still record "OK" if I had a 30 second sampling rate that just happened to take readings on either side of this. I think this actually (to a much lesser extent) has happened to me.

I remember on one of my recent dives watching my ascent rate and seeing it go red. So I slowed down...no big deal. But when I downloaded the dive, ascent rate at every sample looked just fine. So I'll try a much tighter sampling rate next time.

My VEO250 literature makes it sound like the sampling rate doesn't affect the number of dives logged, but I'll have to take a look and see. This is a good heads up. Thanks, Travelnsj.

JugglingMonkeys
10-28-2007, 13:22
It would seem that the more often it samples, the more data its (limited) memory has to hold, so the fewer dives it will retain in memory. But maybe that isn't true?