PDA

View Full Version : where do you keep your o-rings?

gibson1525
10-28-2007, 08:52
i've been keeping them in a ziplock bag but it gets sticky with the silicone from the o-rings and becomes hard to handle. what's something better i can keep my o-rings in?

bubble-head
10-28-2007, 10:03
I keep mine is a water-tight plastic case I picked up from my LDC. I also have one I keep my wallet and keys in.

BobbyWombat
10-28-2007, 10:11
You could try using a 35mm film case. Really cheap and would be plenty water resistant, and even float if you dropped it.

Mind you, I haven't tried this myself, but just a thought that occurred to me.

-BW

NitroWill
10-28-2007, 10:15
I have a tiny divided organizer that I use for my orings so I can keep all the different sizes separate. Keep it in my dry bag - works good for me!

gibson1525
10-28-2007, 11:36
You could try using a 35mm film case. Really cheap and would be plenty water resistant, and even float if you dropped it.

-BW

think it would hurt the larger o-rings to be twisted up like that? i went with the ziplock bag b/c the o-rings can be in their normal shape. good idea for smaller ones though.

Puffer Fish
10-28-2007, 12:38

-BW

think it would hurt the larger o-rings to be twisted up like that? i went with the ziplock bag b/c the o-rings can be in their normal shape. good idea for smaller ones though.
\

Last thing you would want would be a kink in a large o-ring...or even a compression area.

I use a key ring container for the small ones, and a water tight case for the larger ones....

Lake Diver
10-28-2007, 17:18
http://www.lakediver.com/ebay/keychains.jpg
We have these handy keychains to hold tank valve o-rings....they even come with some included!!! Don't know if they'd hold anything bigger though, like for camera housings and what not....

BobbyWombat
10-28-2007, 17:44

-BW

I don't know. You definitely wouldn't want to kink the o-ring, but it might be OK to bend it a bit to fit. You can take it, twist to make a figure-8, then fold it so it is a ring that goes around twice. I guess I was thinking more about tank o-rings than anything else. Might not work for the bigger rings, as you pointed out.

Aspendiver
10-28-2007, 17:51
I've seen a couple of divemasters/boat crew that keep some tank valve o-rings on their watchband....

Aspendiver
10-28-2007, 17:53
You could try using a 35mm film case.
-BW

What's "film"?

:smiley2:

RoadRacer1978
10-28-2007, 18:09
Since this is in the photography forum I'm guessing the OP is not asking about tank o-rings.

unclepooty
10-29-2007, 09:25

-BW

I don't know. You definitely wouldn't want to kink the o-ring, but it might be OK to bend it a bit to fit. You can take it, twist to make a figure-8, then fold it so it is a ring that goes around twice. I guess I was thinking more about tank o-rings than anything else. Might not work for the bigger rings, as you pointed out.

Work with o-rings in hydraulics. Make as many "figure eights" as the o-ring size will allow. It won't hurt them as long as they are not kinked or nicked. Protect from light (artificial or natural) while stored.

CompuDude
10-29-2007, 12:49
I don't generally carry spare o-rings, but I wonder if wax paper might not be a good idea to fold around the o-ring, and then store as usual in a zip lock. Low tech, but it might do the job. :)

bversteegh
10-30-2007, 23:38
I keep all my o-rings folded up inside the port they belong to (figure 8 in a ziplock). BTW - your orings should not be real greasy - you are asking for a flood, as they will collect dust/lint. A properly lubed o-ring should just barely shine - the grease does not make the seal, just prevents friction and pinching the o-ring.

BSea
10-30-2007, 23:46
Since this is in the photography forum I'm guessing the OP is not asking about tank o-rings.Doesn't really matter what the o-ring is used for, you would treat them all the same. As long as a larger 1 isn't kinked or stretched, it should be ok. I use a divided case like NitroWill.