PDA

View Full Version : Akona Roller Carry-On

THT98
10-28-2007, 13:52
Has anyone tried the new Akona carry on bag? It looks pretty nice, but I haven't been able to talk to anyone that has tried it.

Thanks!

DevilDiver
10-28-2007, 22:05
Not yet... I plan to pick one up next spring or sooner if I can squeeze in a trip. Looks like a pretty nice carry on.

SoSiouxme
10-29-2007, 00:04
I have dive trip coming up in less than two weeks. Looks perfect. I'm going to order it. I'll post back when I return and let you know how it all worked out.

SoSiouxme
11-03-2007, 12:25
I just ordered this bag and got it yesterday. Since I'm leaving in less than a week for my dive vacation, I started packing. So far, I've got my regulator/octo/gauge, BCD, mask/snorkel, two lights (primary and back-up), a 3mm shortie, a slate, and my laptop in there. In the front pocket, I'm going to put a beach towel and swimsuit. The only thing that won't fit are my fins. That's okay, they are going in my other dive bag - the TUSA roller duffel - as are my other wetsuit, and my clothes, and other things.

I'm going to try to put my Canon underwater housing in there wrapped in the wet suit, but we'll see.

I like the bag - it is well padded on the inside and the laptop sleeve offers addtional padding. The inside padding and the padded laptop sleeve are removable for extra room if you don't need all the padding.

I'll post again when I return to let you know how the bag fared on the trip. I should have a Sherpa with all the luggage I'm taking for this trip - 2 checked bags, this bag and a backpack. Thank goodness for curbside check-in.

--Sioux

DevilDiver
11-03-2007, 13:32
I just ordered this bag and got it yesterday. Since I'm leaving in less than a week for my dive vacation, I started packing. So far, I've got my regulator/octo/gauge, BCD, mask/snorkel, two lights (primary and back-up), a 3mm shortie, a slate, and my laptop in there. In the front pocket, I'm going to put a beach towel and swimsuit. The only thing that won't fit are my fins. That's okay, they are going in my other dive bag - the TUSA roller duffel - as are my other wetsuit, and my clothes, and other things.

I'm going to try to put my Canon underwater housing in there wrapped in the wet suit, but we'll see.

I like the bag - it is well padded on the inside and the laptop sleeve offers addtional padding. The inside padding and the padded laptop sleeve are removable for extra room if you don't need all the padding.

I'll post again when I return to let you know how the bag fared on the trip. I should have a Sherpa with all the luggage I'm taking for this trip - 2 checked bags, this bag and a backpack. Thank goodness for curbside check-in.

--Sioux

Thanks for the report. I am interested on what you think when you get back......
What kind of fins do you have that would not fit? Or could you give the approximate length for a compairison.......... Thanks again~!!:smiley20:

Have fun on the trip!!!

JugglingMonkeys
11-03-2007, 13:39
You mean the AKB 176?

it looks good.

DevilDiver
11-03-2007, 13:46
You mean the AKB 176? - "I am not a number, I am a free man!" :rock:

it looks good. - looks good like in a skirt? Or after a couple of beers?:smiley29:

:smilie39:

RECDiver
11-08-2007, 12:41
Would the bag be big enough to put a BP/W?

kyfriedchipper
11-09-2007, 00:36
Is the Akona bag worth the $$? Was thinking that the only real advantage were the fin pockets - but some of the dedicated scuba roller bags don't fit XL fins...
Simple roller bag from Target ($50) might be the option I;d go for...

abcitydiver
11-09-2007, 01:28
just got it a couple of months ago, have traveled twice and I reallllly like it. Good fabric, good zippers and it just swallows my gear! A VERY ergonomic carry on, at a great price, I paid $81, and sprung for the reg bag as an afterthought. Manage to get all the main gear in, and then some: dragon at BC, mask case, spg, octo, reg, a 3/2 full suit, lycra monosuit, bathing suit, sandles, dive computer, laptop, and a few misc very small pieces. Mind you, I have a PHD in packing!
Anyhow, its very very pragmatic, and heck, it looks decent too.

I did put the fins in the checked luggage

TRACI
11-09-2007, 09:20
Looks like a great carry-on, I am always afraid my gear will get lost if I check in, I will have to add to my xmas wish list.

kyfriedchipper
11-09-2007, 09:41
So does anyone know of a roller bag out there that can fit XL fins AND is a carryon size???

azdiver
04-03-2008, 19:03
So does anyone know of a roller bag out there that can fit XL fins AND is a carryon size???

If they made one I would have it :smiley36:

My fins are 26" long... too long for any carry on allowances unless I put them in my mesh stahlsac backpack that I use on the boat... Hmmm.... wonder if I can get by with my 22" carryone and my stahlsac????? If they would allow that I would be able to pack everything for a 10 day dive trip (including computer and camera gear) and not have to check in anything!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

EuphoriaII
04-03-2008, 20:42
I appreciate the review on this bag. I have been thinking about the larger Akona bag that can pack for 2 divers. But if I loaded all the gear for my son and I, it would exceed the usual 50lb weight limit.
By bringing your gear as a carry on, you get a lot of heavy stuff out of the checked luggage and avoid penalties