PDA

View Full Version : yes i'm scared of night diving!

maggs_the
10-28-2007, 16:23
Texas Flower Gardens.. August 2005.. 65ft.. 26 minutes.. three of us buddy'd up cause a friend's son didnt want to do the night dive. had no problems going down. got the hang of the flashlights and even saw a few things like a small 3 foot blacktip reef shark and a wall of baracuda on the safety stop.

fantastic!! but i guess it made me not quite so cautious. everything went so well... so on the second night dive, we had our 3rd buddy and did it again. only this time, when we hit bottom, i got disoriented and somehow seperated from my two dive buddies. there were dive buddies all around but i had no idea which ones were MINE! i knew that meant i was going to have to call the dive and i was panic'd with embarrassment and ready to cry into my mask when my sweetie found me. i have a different tank light so he could spot me. i wouldnt let go of him the rest of the dive and was NOT anxious to do another night dive..

Cozumel .. April 2006.. had met a great group of divers and they were doing the night dive and begging us to join. The dive site was one we'd done several times before... very slooooow current so, okay. even decided to take my camera (note to self, dont do that.. digital doesnt do well when it cannot focus before shooting) but within 2 minutes underwater, my primary light went out and since we hadnt PLANNED to do the night dive, i didnt have my secondary. still had my tank light so i held my buddie's arm as the incredibly swift current flushed us down a toilet in the dark.

Roatan.. May 2007.. absolutely unbelievable beauty during the day. no current. no problems?? my primary worked. my secondary worked. i only had one buddy to keep up with... but.. our group found an eel stalking it's supper so we had some AMAZINGLY inconsiderate divers who would bump into you to get better viewing positions and almost forced me and my buddy apart. fins came close to removing my mask and regulator and poor little Dorie the blue tang got eaten by an eel.

no... i think i'm done. someone like me should not be doing night dives.

RoadRacer1978
10-28-2007, 16:29
Sorry to hear the bad stories. Sounds like you had more than your fair share of bad night diving experiences. Just remeber they can be good and rewarding experiences though. Your very first night dive was and others can be just as great. Hopefully you won't totally give up night diving just yet, just pick your spot or the people you go with very cautiously. And think about taking a night diver specialty course if you haven't. You might pick up a few tips that would make you less aprehensive about night diving and help make the experience more enjoyable and rewarding.

maggs_the
10-28-2007, 16:42
actually, i did take the night and limited viz course and did my checkout dive at a lake where the viz was only 10 ft anyway and after dark.. boohaahaha.. shiver me timbers!!

but they said the same thing there... give it a chance in crystal clear waters.

and i know people out there LOVE the night dives... i'm not giving up but i'm not hankering for the next one either :) hehe..

RoadRacer1978
10-28-2007, 16:49
To each their own. If you don't care for it, then don't do it. Each person has their own feeling towards different aspects of diving. Glad you are not totally giving it up, but if it is not your cup of tea I don't blame you for not really wanting to try it again.

Puffer Fish
10-28-2007, 17:13
actually, i did take the night and limited viz course and did my checkout dive at a lake where the viz was only 10 ft anyway and after dark.. boohaahaha.. shiver me timbers!!

but they said the same thing there... give it a chance in crystal clear waters.

and i know people out there LOVE the night dives... i'm not giving up but i'm not hankering for the next one either :) hehe..
Ok, so making a nite dive without a secondary is not the night's fault... I carry three lights and a strobe.

Getting seperated at night would have been a lot less of an issues, except there were other in the water.. which made it safer, but made the event possible to happen.

Diving with jerks is a totally different issue, and that happens during the day. I don't have that happen anymore, but I understand how hard that is to deal with at night. I will go cut the air hose on the next jerk I see diving, if that would make up for it.

You need to do one with limited people, clear water and no major current... waves... difficult issues. During classes, I aways had an assistant Inst jump in first to check the current, and if it was strong.. we called the dive.

So you had some really crappy dives, sound like they would not have been fun during the day...I would recommend you reconsider, but only if the people and conditions are nice.

Capt Hook
10-28-2007, 17:20
Don't sweat it, if you don't like night dives, so what.
I'm not a real fan of night dives myself.

dludwig
10-28-2007, 18:52
I had a bad experience on my first night dive but I plan to try it again, eventually :smiley36:

Puffer Fish
10-28-2007, 19:00
I had a bad experience on my first night dive but I plan to try it again, eventually :smiley36:
Night dives should be called a lot more than day ones, but for some reason, once people deside to do one, they want to go thru with it.

gibson1525
10-28-2007, 19:17
if you do try another night dive, try putting a tank light on your buddy. that way if you get separated he won't get lost in the crowd of other divers and you'll always be able to tell him apart.

scubamike
10-28-2007, 19:52
Night is the most relaxing type of diving. The reason why I like it so much is because you are only focused on where you point your torch or light. True I would be scared if my light died...but that's why you bring a backup.

Getting separated?? just surfaced after 3 minutes if you dont see anybody else.

Capt Hook
10-28-2007, 22:17

Where did the 3 minutes come from?
We were taught you look for your buddy for a minute then surface and rejoin them on the surface.

Charlotte Smith
10-28-2007, 22:26

Where did the 3 minutes come from?
We were taught you look for your buddy for a minute then surface and rejoin them on the surface.Not sure I even wait that long...If I lose my buddy I am up and looking for his bubbles but that's just me.....I usually find him pretty quick but sometimes I get caught up looking at something and he goes God knows where......I just do it in the shallow waters when we are fishing though if we are in deep water I pay more attention.......I am not afraid of losing him but he worries like my MOM so I just find him quickly...sometimes he doesn't even miss me until I get back to him......

lucidblue
10-30-2007, 20:42
I haven't tried a night dive yet and I have to admit I'm a little freaked out by it. I think it's just the fact that it's dark and you can't see everything around you (I can be a bit of a control freak :ponder:). On the flip side, I'd love to have to focus on what's right in front of me, instead of being in constant awe of everything around me and not knowing where to look... I'd also love to see the different creatures that come out at night.

Next vacation in crystal clear water I'll give it a shot.

drdiver
10-31-2007, 09:55
After many years of night diving, I've kind of given it up. Although I've enjoyed them, I compare them with the pleasures of kicking back in the evening with dive buddies and shooting the breeze and the dive came up short. My last night dive was the coral spawning in the Flower Gardens which I figured was a good way to end them.

No Misses
10-31-2007, 10:15
I enjoy night dives with just 1 buddy. I have to admit that I don't care for diving in a crowd day or night. At night it is easy to regroup with your buddy. Just turn off your light and look around for his. When there are a bunch of googans in the water, this becomes impossible. What can I say, I'm selfish. I would rather do a solo dive than dive with a group.

dallasdivergirl
10-31-2007, 11:25
I will say my night dives in Bonaire were much better than the ones at Lake Travis and in Roatan due to the fact there was only one other person in the water with me. I could easily find them with no problems. Also we did the early dusk dives so it was still some what light when we went in the water.

I will say that on a true night dive I am a little (ok, a lot) apprehensive but I some fears of the dark. I just try to focus on the fish and eels and coral and don't let my mind get the best of me.

kenmendes
10-31-2007, 11:30
I have not done a night dive yet and i am nervous about doing on, Its just the thought of being in the water at night and not being able to see and loosing my buddy.

DLXM Cayman
10-31-2007, 13:28
Maybe try a night dive on a night with a full-moon or nearly full moon?

maggs_the
10-31-2007, 13:30
yeah, i can see where it would be much easier (on me anyway) if i did a night dive and it was only me & my buddy or at most, four of us and of course we would have to be familiar with each other's diving.

one thing that "saved" me from too much panic was that my dive buddy and i have been together for two years and can communicate pretty good underwater. still, underwater in the DARK does get a bit more hairy but that's another one for the "lesson learned" notebook.

i know this..... i could do a day dive with a complete stranger but there's no way i'd do a night dive or a limited viz dive without MY dive buddy. way too spooky for my fragile nerves :)

and no, i dont watch scary movies on Halloween either!!

WaScubaDude
10-31-2007, 14:51
yeah, i can see where it would be much easier (on me anyway) if i did a night dive and it was only me & my buddy or at most, four of us and of course we would have to be familiar with each other's diving.

one thing that "saved" me from too much panic was that my dive buddy and i have been together for two years and can communicate pretty good underwater. still, underwater in the DARK does get a bit more hairy but that's another one for the "lesson learned" notebook.

i know this..... i could do a day dive with a complete stranger but there's no way i'd do a night dive or a limited viz dive without MY dive buddy. way too spooky for my fragile nerves :)

I think night diving is great training for divers as it is "scarry" but the scarry is all in the mind. It really can be a great way to "raise your freak threashold" if you break thru the fears, breathe and finally get that YOU are the one who can save your own butt. YOUR PREPAIREDNESS AND LEVEL HEAD CAN SAVE YOUR LIFE! Helps with all your diving.

That said, it took me about a dozen night dives before I could get that Dadadadadadada (Jaws) sound out of my head, and we don't even have killer sharks here. hahahaha

Puffer Fish
10-31-2007, 16:03

Your thinking is spot on... do one night dive, where there is a lot of bioluminescence, and everyone turns their lights out and you will be hooked. Never been with anyone that was not amazed. But do with good buddies, clear water, calm condition.

Bill22
11-14-2007, 11:01
I like night dives because I always see cool stuff :-) Here's a few examples ;-)

BouzoukiJoe A.K.A. wrecker130 AKA Chuck Norris AKA joeforbroke (banned)
11-14-2007, 11:32
Instead of turning my light off, if I needed to find my buddy at night I'd put the end of my light against my body or cover it with a glove to make it dark enough to see his light. I wouldn't dive without a secondary light and if the primary went out, I'd thumb the dive.

I don't like diving with crowds, but a distinctive tank marker light helps you pick someone out of a lineup. You might use duct tape or something to give the light a signature patern if someone else has the same shape and color.

TRACI
11-14-2007, 11:52
I have never done a night dive, but I would like to, I wanted to do one on my last trip to Coz, but I chickened out. I would like to attempt to try again in January. I think my biggist fear of a night dive is losing my dive buddy.

Puffer Fish
11-14-2007, 11:59
I have never done a night dive, but I would like to, I wanted to do one on my last trip to Coz, but I chickened out. I would like to attempt to try again in January. I think my biggist fear of a night dive is losing my dive buddy.
That only happens if there are lots of people in the water and they all look alike. My Zeagle BP/W, with the ranger LTD bag, stands out (unless there are other Zeagles there) due to the reflector stuff.

I would suggest getting some of the stick on reflector stuff and putting on your tanks for the dive... makes picking them out really easy.. then throw away.

gibson1525
11-14-2007, 12:21
I like night dives because I always see cool stuff :-) Here's a few examples ;-)

nice pics, where are those from?

BobArnold8265
11-14-2007, 12:42
Diving should be about having fun. If you don't like night dives or they make you uncomfortable, then don't do them. I personally enjoy night dives but will never dive when I'm uncomfortable !!!!

scubajane
11-24-2007, 10:16
one of the best parts of diving is learning how to harness your fears and do what needs to be done. it works on the surface too. night diving is another lesson to be learned. i plan to never tire of learning. some of my hardest lesson to learn have become my best lessons. I have found that praying through my fears is very helpful. I have my human buddy and I always have God to lean on. I know that God is good no matter what happens!!

LCF
11-24-2007, 11:51
Night dives have a number of challenges related to reduced visual information. You can't use the gradation of color in the water to orient yourself, so midwater is challenging. People can look very much alike (especially if you dive, as I do, with people who standardize gear). You're quite dependent on dive lights, which is why I take three with me for any night dive.

For recognizing your buddy, it's helpful to study them before you get in the water, and look for something identifiable. That might be colored fins, the pattern on a wetsuit, the type of dive light they're carrying, or what kind or color of tank they're carrying. You can also put glowsticks on your tank valve in colors that identify you.

Night diving gives you a chance to see a lot of animals that are hidden during the day, and night dives are well worth doing (and I say this, although I suffer horribly from midwater disorientation in the dark). But you have to equip yourself properly (adequate lights and identification markers).

Soonerwink
11-24-2007, 18:50
I personally love night dives, but if you don't feel comfrtable making a dive don't let someone talk you into it. If you do do one just make sure you have a very thought out dive plan and stick to it. If it doesn't go as planned just end the dive. It is always better to live and dive again.

tedwhiteva
11-24-2007, 20:19
Night diving can take some getting used to, but so did your 1st OW dives - right? It can be very relaxing, and in tropical waters you'll see stuff never seen in the daytime.

A good tank marker light for your buddy helps a lot. So does a 10W HID canister light and two 3w LED backups. :-)

Bill22
11-24-2007, 20:56

nice pics, where are those from?

Thanks :-) Sorry, I just noticed your reply, I've been a little busy since coming back from my last trip. The first couple were taken while diving at Hayama here in Japan. The rest were taken in Malapascua, Philippines. Here are a few more from Moalboal also in the Philippines... My trip report on the Philippines trip, (with more photos of course ;-)) is a work in progress over in the Asia Diving section... http://forum.scubatoys.com/asian-diving/6395-malapascua-moalboal-philippines-dive-trip.html

I also have a few images entered in the Photo Contest at UnderwaterPhotography.com - #1 site for underwater photography, underwater cameras, video, and camera housings since 1996. (http://www.underwaterphotography.com/default.aspx) Only a few at this point since I can only enter once per day. I expect to have more entries there over the next few weeks. Lots of great images there and you can vote for your favorites :-)

Cynthia
12-06-2007, 09:49
Here's my 2 cents worth on the night diving: Yes, I'll admit it...I'm skeeeered of the dark! I also have a bit of the claustrophobia (not bad, but a little) so low viz can really push me out of my comfort zone. You might try a night dive or 2 in fresh water first as there's nothing there that can "get you" (hearing Jaws music in the background) and that would lessen the anxiety, perhaps. That being said, I've done some wonderful where I was perfectly comfy getting in right at dusk and coming up in the dark. I've found you get so involved in what you're looking at you don't really notice the dark until it's just inky. A big thing, too, is the moon. I did a night dive in the Great Barrier Reef with a full moon and it was one of the most wonderful experiences of my underwater life. A couple of nights later I hopped in, thinking I'd have the same experience, but, alas...no moon, just ink and I did get nervous. Just make sure you are diving with a buddy you trust that will look out for you and let him/her know that YOU are going to be the one to call the dive if you get nervous. I've done several 15 minute night dives, but I keep trying.
Bottom line, this is supposed to be fun. You don't get any brownie points or gold stars for suffering. Night dives are like any other dives...if it doesn't feel right, don't do it.

Lake Diver
12-06-2007, 22:32
Nothing better than getting to the lake at 3:00AM and going for a dive

ScubaJW
12-06-2007, 23:37
I dove Puget Sound for my first night diving. It was spooky!! I immediately got out of the water. About a week or 2 later, I finally gave another chance, I was starting to love it. It was not too bad at all. It takes some to get used to.

navyhmc
12-07-2007, 01:48
+ 1 to having a distinctive marking system. In the past, I have been known to put two glow sticks on my tank and my buddies tank. Then when others started doing that as well, we decided on 2-3 cylumes but in different locations: one on the tank valve and one on the tank strap, two on the straps and one on the leg, etc. I do like the new item that ST has listed: The glo-toob. (I know they're not new) The cool thing is the mutiple colors and that you can make them blink in different patterns. (the green ones that are blinking the beacon strobe pattern is my buddy type of thing)

Glo Toob Fx Signaling Device, Dive Lights, ScubaToys, Glo Toob Fx Signaling Device (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=Glo_Toob_FX)

divergirl
04-02-2008, 17:55
That said, it took me about a dozen night dives before I could get that Dadadadadadada (Jaws) sound out of my head, and we don't even have killer sharks here. hahahaha

haha my minds always thinking like that.. especially when I'm doing long surface swims haha

Defman
04-02-2008, 18:28
Don't sweat it, if you don't like night dives, so what.
I'm not a real fan of night dives myself.

Ditto... might do one once in a while, but not very often.

fisheater
04-02-2008, 20:44
I did my first night dive last week off of Kauai.

Back rolling off of a 25 ft. dive boat and descending 80 ft. had a certain "pucker factor," but I really enjoyed the dive. I had no idea what to expect.

We saw a huge moray out hunting and scads of lobsters.

I also had to deal with a leaky mask and no really being to able to see my compass all to well when I was doing my AOW-required navigation problem.

Knowing that I could prioritize and deal with issues in a dark and new environment, really helped my dive confidence.

buddhasummer
04-17-2008, 07:09
Night is the most relaxing type of diving. The reason why I like it so much is because you are only focused on where you point your torch or light. True I would be scared if my light died...but that's why you bring a backup.

I agree, night diving is my prefered, Ill take a night dive over a day dive everytime, having at least two very good, reliable, bright lights makes a big difference, actually it was when I bought my first "real" light that I begain to really like night diving, prior to that I always used the crap lights that the dive opeater gave out, dim as hell...like others have said if youre not into it then dont sweat it, but Id like to suggest maybe trying again with two good, bright lights, with a small group and you may see what I see...anyway goodluck safe diving:smiley20:

EuphoriaII
05-01-2008, 10:22
I've only had 2 night dives but more planned this summer. I think its really important that your buddy has a recognizable glow stick so you can tell who/where your buddy is

Murloc
05-01-2008, 10:59
there is an unbelievable amount of sea life that becomes active only at night...until you overcome being uncomfortable at night try to confine your dives to shallow reefs and progress from there....chances are you will be so infatuated with all the "nightlife" you won't even remember to be nervous....

Sounder
05-01-2008, 11:02
One of my favorite things to do is to get up really early and do the morning twilight dive. Start when it's still very black and surface just before the sun rises... you can catch "shift change."

TRACI
05-01-2008, 11:03
I have never done a night dive yet, but do plan on doing one, maybe some if I like it, in Bonaire in Aug. I think I will like doing a shore night dive for my 1st one vs. a boat dive.

DiveSooner
05-01-2008, 11:28
I have never done a night dive yet, but do plan on doing one, maybe some if I like it, in Bonaire in Aug. I think I will like doing a shore night dive for my 1st one vs. a boat dive.

Several great, places on Bonaire. Buddy Dive and Divi, both have great LIGHTED docks with wide steps to access. You dont have to swim far to see alot. :smiley20:

Sounder
05-01-2008, 12:21
I highly suggest doing one from a lighted dock for your first. It'll be creepy-dark your first time and having that easy entry makes things a lot less stressful. Also, in Bonaire the BIG Tarpon come out at night. They're not going to hurt you or anything, but they WILL most certainly want to hunt by your light. They're BIG fish that swim like fighter-jets and they'll come right up underneath you even when you're really close to the bottom. It can be startling, but after a few minutes of having these monster-fish come out of the darkness around you, you get use to it and will enjoy it.

Sounder
05-01-2008, 12:22
If you were to go in around Eden Beach (not much to see, but it's a great tarpon spot), there is an 8+ footer nicknamed "Charlie." He's a big f-er and is not shy with divers... all he wants is for you to shine your light on little fish for him.

TRACI
05-01-2008, 12:39
......great, not only will I be stressed out by my first night dive, have to watch out for large fighter-jets. Maybe it will work to my benefit, I will probably be so occupied with watching out for tarpon, I probably will not even worry about the darkness.

DiveSooner
05-01-2008, 12:47
Had to go and tell her about Charlie.... ;-)

Seriously, there will be so many divers out with lights, you'll not even notice the dark. Just follow the guy with the video set up, it will be like high noon.

I take a light, but barely use it, do to all the lights in the water... It's like watching a lazer light show with all the lites. Just think of Pink Floyd... ;-)

Also, if the sea wasps get to bad, just turn your lite to your chest for a few moments and they will swarm away to another lite...

TRACI
05-01-2008, 12:52
What the heck are sea wasp??

gthomas
05-01-2008, 13:08
I've been wanting to do a night dive but something always comes up & I don't make it. Great pic bill22 and traci you've changed so much since I saw your picture last:smilie39:

harb99
05-01-2008, 13:13
What the heck are sea wasp??

this may be what he is referring to:

Underwater Paradise in the British Virgin Islands (http://www.b-v-i.com/Nature/marine.htm)

Sea Wasp Jellyfish. This jellyfish (carybdea alata), found in the West Indies and Caribbean, is a potentially dangerous jellyfish, especially to some individuals, although not as deadly poisonous as the Pacific Sea Wasp (chironex fleckeri), considered the creature with the deadliest venom of them all.

The Sea Wasp found in the Caribbean is a box jellyfish with a small, four-sided, bell- shaped body, up to 2 x 3 inches, though often resembling a one inch "cube." Its four tentacles average about 12 inches long, one attached to each bottom corner of the body (photo: Angelina Cat). See account of sea wasp sting at The Caves.

See first aid treatment here. Generally soak area with household vinegar to keep undischarged nematocysts from firing, which then may be removed. Soak exposed eyes copiously with tap water. For various symptoms other than pain not bearable after applying ice packs, take the patient to an emergency room. Get immediate medical help for severe reactions as stinging may bring about anaphylactic shock.

http://www.angelinacat.com/boxjelly.jpg

Murloc
05-01-2008, 13:14
oh man...sea wasps....<shudder>

mixahl
05-01-2008, 13:24
I still ought to try a night dive...hopefully soon!

ChrisA
05-01-2008, 13:25
T
Texas Flower Gardens.. August 2005..
Cozumel .. April 2006..
Roatan.. May 2007..

Prety darn easy to see why you don't like it. Three night dives are all about one year apart. It is very hard to be comfortable doing somethig you do so infrequently. What would happen if you only drove your car one a year? You'd be paniced on the Interstate.

The key here is to do some night dives in famiar close to home waters that you know with budies you know. Once a month is a lot better then one a year. After a while night diving become routine.

I live close enough to water that I can dive after work so I try to get in once a week. But if you have to drive a couple hours to the nearest water you can make it a one a month friday night thing.

Sounder
05-01-2008, 13:36
There is all kind of things that will be attracted to your light. Lots of creepy icky-looking things too. Turning your light to your chest to black it out combined with a few kicks will remove them. I was sure glad to be in a full wetsuit though - some of those things look like they'd crawl into somewhere I don't want them.

I never saw another diver, besides my buddy, on any night dives while we were there, so I wouldn't depend on other divers' lights. You really should take a powerful light with you. It's so much less stressful when you've got a good light.

Now, another option you should consider is flying me out to dive with you. I've got a 50w HID that the tarpon adore. In fact, I think I'm their favorite diver ever... course, the little fish didn't much appreciate it. I'm a great Bonaire tour guide and I come free - just fly me out and give me somewhere to sleep!!

One other fun thing to do on your night dives is to black-out all your lights and then wave your hands violently in front of your mask. This will cause all the bioluminescent micro-critters in the water to light up. It's like fireflies underwater - very very cool. Just be sure your buddy knows your doing this or they'll wig out seeing you flail.

So, I prefer to fly 1st class when I come to Bonaire, but if you can't afford that, I suppose I can fly coach. Just book the ticket from Seatac airport in Seattle. It'll take me exactly 1 hour to pack my bags.

ChrisA
05-01-2008, 13:40
+ 1 to having a distinctive marking system. In the past, I have been known to put two glow sticks on my tank and my buddies tank. Then when others started doing that as well, we decided on 2-3 cylumes

We used to do that too back when some of us started diving after work. We'd mark one pair of budies with "green and red" another with two reds and other combinations of glow sticks. Then after some months no one cared and most of us don't bother with tank lights. That don't really work very well. In our poor vis water I can see a tank light from maybe say, 8 feet away but I can see a primary dive light much farther. If I loose a buddy what I do is turn out my light and look for the glow from his primary light. This almost always works unless he's gone really far

It is a very common problem to not be able to tell your buddy from some other random divers. The problem is that we all look allke in our black dive gear. A couple years ago I spray painted the ends of my Turtle fins yellow. Everyone says they know it's me now. It helps to make yourself look different.

Sounder
05-01-2008, 13:40
I try to do at least 1 night dive each week, sometimes two... especially during the summer when the sixgill sharks are commonly sighted! We're so fortunate to be in the PNW where we can grab a quick "after-work dive" with friends and still be home with gear rinsed before it's too late. The quick after-work dives are great too - we've got so many fantastic sites that even the "quick little dives" are world-class.

So, who's moving to Seattle?!

TRACI
05-01-2008, 14:13
I've been wanting to do a night dive but something always comes up & I don't make it. Great pic bill22 and traci you've changed so much since I saw your picture last:smilie39:

ha, Ha, atleast I have a pic, :)

TRACI
05-01-2008, 14:18
There is all kind of things that will be attracted to your light. Lots of creepy icky-looking things too. Turning your light to your chest to black it out combined with a few kicks will remove them. I was sure glad to be in a full wetsuit though - some of those things look like they'd crawl into somewhere I don't want them.

I never saw another diver, besides my buddy, on any night dives while we were there, so I wouldn't depend on other divers' lights. You really should take a powerful light with you. It's so much less stressful when you've got a good light.

Now, another option you should consider is flying me out to dive with you. I've got a 50w HID that the tarpon adore. In fact, I think I'm their favorite diver ever... course, the little fish didn't much appreciate it. I'm a great Bonaire tour guide and I come free - just fly me out and give me somewhere to sleep!!

One other fun thing to do on your night dives is to black-out all your lights and then wave your hands violently in front of your mask. This will cause all the bioluminescent micro-critters in the water to light up. It's like fireflies underwater - very very cool. Just be sure your buddy knows your doing this or they'll wig out seeing you flail.

So, I prefer to fly 1st class when I come to Bonaire, but if you can't afford that, I suppose I can fly coach. Just book the ticket from Seatac airport in Seattle. It'll take me exactly 1 hour to pack my bags.
Doesn't sound free to me, I can not even afford to fly 1st class :(

TRACI
05-01-2008, 14:19
..but a tour guide would be nice !

Sounder
05-01-2008, 14:26
..but a tour guide would be nice !

Hmmm... when are you going to be down there? I've got a couple friends trying to twist my arm into each of their trips.

Flying 1st class is wonderful when you're making the haul all the way from Seattle - it's about 12 hours in the air. Course, all the flights from Puerto Rico to Bonaire are on small planes, but that's a rather short flight.

If you've got air miles, upgrading to 1st class is SOOOO worth it.

TRACI
05-01-2008, 14:29
We are going Aug 16th -24th. The flight is only 4 hrs 45 min out of Houston, and that is flying non-stop

Sounder
05-01-2008, 15:02
We are going Aug 16th -24th. The flight is only 4 hrs 45 min out of Houston, and that is flying non-stop

Sigh... I wouldn't spring for 1st class either then!! Sheesh, it's a haul from Seattle!!

Hmmm... I'm thinking September to catch the coral spawn.

TRACI
05-01-2008, 15:42
I hear the coral spawn is a pretty big event, That would be awesome to see.

ChrisA
05-01-2008, 16:45
So, who's moving to Seattle?!

What we need here is your "sound". We have to call to many dives due to high surf. Just last night in fact most of us went to the dive site but did not dive. Except this one pair. One of then got knocked down twice and couldn't make it out, they gave up. Surf was a little higher than "head high"

Sounder
05-01-2008, 16:52
The Sound is a great place to dive... most of the time the waves aren't an issue. Current is a real concern and diving must be done around it, but the entries are wonderful. We've got a saying that if you can dive Puget Sound, you can dive anywhere in the world, and it's so true. Nasty currents, horrible vis, COOOOOOLD water, and a variety of other hazards make this a challenging place to dive... but we love it, and our octopus is bigger than yours.

DiveSooner
05-01-2008, 17:06

Sigh... I wouldn't spring for 1st class either then!! Sheesh, it's a haul from Seattle!!

Hmmm... I'm thinking September to catch the coral spawn.

We are thinking about Sept/Oct as well.... maybe we'll see you there/:smiley20:

jwdizney
05-01-2008, 19:46
I personally love night dives, but if you don't feel comfrtable making a dive don't let someone talk you into it. If you do do one just make sure you have a very thought out dive plan and stick to it. If it doesn't go as planned just end the dive. It is always better to live and dive again.
This kind of advice is why I really love this board!:smiley20:

oddbod
05-02-2008, 08:51
Texas Flower Gardens.. August 2005.. 65ft.. 26 minutes.. three of us buddy'd up cause a friend's son didnt want to do the night dive. had no problems going down. got the hang of the flashlights and even saw a few things like a small 3 foot blacktip reef shark and a wall of baracuda on the safety stop.

fantastic!! but i guess it made me not quite so cautious. everything went so well... so on the second night dive, we had our 3rd buddy and did it again. only this time, when we hit bottom, i got disoriented and somehow seperated from my two dive buddies. there were dive buddies all around but i had no idea which ones were MINE! i knew that meant i was going to have to call the dive and i was panic'd with embarrassment and ready to cry into my mask when my sweetie found me. i have a different tank light so he could spot me. i wouldnt let go of him the rest of the dive and was NOT anxious to do another night dive..

Cozumel .. April 2006.. had met a great group of divers and they were doing the night dive and begging us to join. The dive site was one we'd done several times before... very slooooow current so, okay. even decided to take my camera (note to self, dont do that.. digital doesnt do well when it cannot focus before shooting) but within 2 minutes underwater, my primary light went out and since we hadnt PLANNED to do the night dive, i didnt have my secondary. still had my tank light so i held my buddie's arm as the incredibly swift current flushed us down a toilet in the dark.

Roatan.. May 2007.. absolutely unbelievable beauty during the day. no current. no problems?? my primary worked. my secondary worked. i only had one buddy to keep up with... but.. our group found an eel stalking it's supper so we had some AMAZINGLY inconsiderate divers who would bump into you to get better viewing positions and almost forced me and my buddy apart. fins came close to removing my mask and regulator and poor little Dorie the blue tang got eaten by an eel.

no... i think i'm done. someone like me should not be doing night dives.
The way you describe them it actually sounds like you enjoyed (at least partially) the dives?

coral cowgirl
09-19-2008, 03:32
Go in early, go shallow, go without a crowd. (lessons learned the hard way my first night dive).

DiverD66
09-21-2008, 10:30
I definately think that paying attention to who you dive with is VERY important. I have been on 3 nite dives so far and they have all been exciting and went smoothly! BUT, I attribute A LOT of that to who I dive with. With only a few dives under my belt, choosing my dive buddies has been one of my most important lessons to date!!!

maggs_the
09-22-2008, 10:12
good point!!

And I could tell that difference when we went to Curacao in August and planned on doing a night shore dive.

I've been diving with my three buddies before and am very comfortable with their diving skills.
We did shore dives all week and I was very comfortable with the locale.
We spoke with the local dive shop on typical procedure and still took it a step further with our own safety precautions.

All that and more lead this to be the most enjoyable night dive I have done! It was relaxing and enjoyable and I finally got to see the bioluminesence I've heard so much about.

oh, and another poster said one of my "problems" could be I only do a night dive about once per year and maybe I would be able to get past my nervousness if I went more often. To that I say, I WISH I COULD!!! :D alas, time & money won't let me.

however, I do believe for me personally it does come down to being comfortable with the dive before it ever begins and on a boat with divers i do not know, that will be difficult for me to do. but at least I have the shore dive in Curacao :)

bane51031
01-18-2009, 18:28
Personally I love night diving, last night dive I was on my buddy froze up, narc'd at 65' on a night dive ? Not sure but, had to physically grab his bcd and lead him out, he had the deer in the headlights look after we ascended a bit he was fine, he said he was tired and that is what happened???