PDA

View Full Version : I guess us guys need to pay more attention...

Boris42
10-28-2007, 18:57
I just ran across this article online and thought you ladies would appreciate the strokes. Guess us guys have some catching up to do.

Women divers outdo men, study claims - Telegraph (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2007/10/28/ndriver128.xml)

texdiveguy
10-28-2007, 19:00
Nothing from the U.k. makes it official in the U.S.A. !!

Kunk35
10-28-2007, 19:46
I'll say the same thing I said over on the other board. This article is completely full of crap. Not because women are good or bad at anything, but because it's full of generalizations.

maggs_the
10-28-2007, 20:27
i gotta say, as a woman, i dont buy it either. i started out with better bouyancy control but my guy quickly caught up and surpassed me when he figured out how to relax and enjoy. and while i might be able to find the small blenny, it's only because he does such a fantastic job of keeping us on the right navigation. we have about the same number of dives and he's (in my humble opinion) a better diver than me.

and i've seen just as many dingbat women hit the reef as gung-ho men.

one thing for sure, if it IS true, i'm letting down my fellow women :)

caroln
10-29-2007, 10:19
I don't totally buy it either, but it sounds like the article is trying to tell women not to be intimidated about trying out diving which has traditionally been more male dominated, so it's not a bad message to get out there.

marchand
10-29-2007, 14:52
I'm thinking that all of the statistics came from vacation divers.

RonFrank
10-29-2007, 15:20
Next time I see some woman kicking the Junk out of the reef, I will now have the knowledge that she must have had a procedure! I avoid SheMen! :smiley29:

I too find their statistics and methods questionable. I read a similar study done on photographers saying they do more reef damage. What both studies are lacking is factoring in experience. With anything involving a skill, experience must be accounted for or the study lacks a key component.

Since the empirical data is not provided, it's impossible to judge the conclusions, but they sure seem like generalizations with the testosterone mixed in for good measure.

scubajane
11-30-2007, 18:55
when we started diving we always ended our dive because of hubby's air consumption. now after 2 years and 75 dives he has more air left than me. we can stay down for 90 min with I tank no problem. Hubby has always been the stronger diver. I do think that men are generally larger than women and are more likely to bump things just because of size . then again I have seen some kamikaze women with no buoyancy control