PDA

View Full Version : Review of Lake Texoma

Illini_Fan
10-28-2007, 21:19
Well, JChapman, Kory35 and I decided to give Lake Texoma a try. Kory had been to the site before, but John and I were newbies to this site. We arranged to met at the park entrance at 10am this morning and then drove down to the swimming area. Kory had warned us that trek down to the beach was long, but after a quick jaunt to the beach in our non-diving gear, we figured it wouldn't be too bad (I changed my mind on that latter).

After gearing up, we took the dive flag (with some extra weights) and headed down to the lake. Water temp at the surface was 70 and visibility was 3-4 feet. We surface swam out to the bouyous, set the flag and discussed our plan. We stayed down for roughly 45 minutes and the temp was constant, but the visibility never really improved. Below 30 feet, it was very dark. Not much too see -- we spent most of the time near or at the bottom. Kory and John did see a large (4-5 foot) catfish, but since it was more than 5 feet away from me, it was invisible :smilie39:

To the credit of Kory, we surfaced back were we started and headed back to shore. The walk (i.e the CLIMB) back to the parking lot with all the gear + the dive flag was a rough way to end the dive.

All-in-all a enjoyable day -- although the lack of visibility did cut into the fun :)

chace_nicole
10-28-2007, 21:28
Well, JChapman, Kory35 and I decided to give Lake Texoma a try. Kory had been to the site before, but John and I were newbies to this site. We arranged to met at the park entrance at 10am this morning and then drove down to the swimming area. Kory had warned us that trek down to the beach was long, but after a quick jaunt to the beach in our non-diving gear, we figured it wouldn't be too bad (I changed my mind on that latter).

After gearing up, we took the dive flag (with some extra weights) and headed down to the lake. Water temp at the surface was 70 and visibility was 3-4 feet. We surface swam out to the bouyous, set the flag and discussed our plan. We stayed down for roughly 45 minutes and the temp was constant, but the visibility never really improved. Below 30 feet, it was very dark. Not much too see -- we spent most of the time near or at the bottom. Kory and John did see a large (4-5 foot) catfish, but since it was more than 5 feet away from me, it was invisible :smilie39:

To the credit of Kory, we surfaced back were we started and headed back to shore. The walk (i.e the CLIMB) back to the parking lot with all the gear + the dive flag was a rough way to end the dive.

All-in-all a enjoyable day -- although the lack of visibility did cut into the fun :)

Where you at crappie point, over by the dam?

Illini_Fan
10-28-2007, 21:37
No -- not a Texoma expert, but I think the damn is outside of Eisenhower State Park, we were inside the park and at the swimming area that is basically at the end of the road and down a trail.

RoadRacer1978
10-28-2007, 21:47

Where you at crappie point, over by the dam?

You're thinking about tenkiller. Crappie point is near the dam at tenkiller in NE oklahoma. Lake Texoma is on the Oklahoma Texas Border.

Thanks for the report. I have ofter wondered if Texoma diving was any good. I figured it was probably not the best spot since so many people drive right past it to come to murray. Might be worth checking out sometime though.

chace_nicole
10-28-2007, 21:49
oooops...thanks racer, I was thinking Tenkiller! Pretty sad I got those mixed up, I visit Texoma!

rfb3
01-14-2008, 12:40
I have dived on Texoma. Viz was a surpirsing 6 feet in Eisenhower State park, but that was @ <20 feet. As you go down you lose light pretty fast. I have also dived Highport marina for a wallet. Two of us searched for ~40 minutes and finally foudn it, right where we had been looking (viz was terrible, especially after touching the bottom)!