PDA

View Full Version : Movies like Open Water...

Cichlid
07-19-2007, 00:26
What do you think of some of the scuba movies out there? How accurate are they? Which one is your favorite?

Joew
07-19-2007, 01:00
Most of them are pretty bad. Except for Thunderball. smileys/smiley4.gif

przeor
07-19-2007, 01:27
Open water was hooooorible. I wasn't even diving when I saw that movie and it was bad. Not even the nudity could save it! Into the Blue was cheezy at best, but getting to see Jessica Alba prance around was nice... not as nice as seeing my wife of course (in case she's reading this)

Joew
07-19-2007, 01:31
Open water was hooooorible. I wasn't even diving when I saw that movie and it was bad. Not even the nudity could save it! Into the Blue was cheezy at best, but getting to see Jessica Alba prance around was nice... not as nice as seeing my wife of course (in case she's reading this)

I couldn't agree with you more. Watch the first 5 minutes of Open Water (they get they nudity out of the way early), and fast forward to all the bikini scenes while watching Into the Blue. smileys/smiley36.gif

Cichlid
07-19-2007, 01:35
Didn't they make an Open Water 2?

Joew
07-19-2007, 01:38

Yeah. I don't know how they got the greenlight for that one.

przeor
07-19-2007, 03:47
well since the budget for the first one was like $5, the second one wouldn't need to be rented too many times at blockbuster to make their money back! of course, they both died in the first one (you'll thank me if i ruined it for you) the sequel must have been pretty boring.

PlatypusMan
07-19-2007, 09:03
Most of them are pretty bad. Except for Thunderball. smileys/smiley4.gif

Oh?

http://www.moviemistakes.com/film1291

The changing mask colors is still my all-time favorite from the film.

Darn--gotta get Netflix to send me a copy to watch again, now.

fire diver
07-19-2007, 09:18
I can't belive you don't like Into the Blue. Tha'ts one of my favorite movies! Dang, I haven't watched it in a couple months, I need to watch it again. I also love Thunderball. Best Bond movie ever! The Deep was cheesy but I like it too. Gotta love the opening scene!
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>I never watched Open Water. Thankfully the many fine folks at SB warned me away from losing those 2 hours of my life.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>FD</DIV>

jacewindu
07-19-2007, 09:47
i unfortunately didn't escape from open water. i will, however, not be making the mistake again by watching open water 2.

into the blue, which i didn't finish, was fun for a few minutes, but overall pretty cheezy. made me jealous of all the fun times in the bahamas tho...

Vercingetorix
07-19-2007, 10:22
Not to scare any non-divers (or soon-to-be-divers), we asked out OW instructor if something like Open Water happens? Are divers left behind? He responded it happens about once a month in Cozumel. It happened to him as well.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Long story short, he and his buddy (a personal friend who was also a divemaster) surfaced...no boat, no other divers. Eventually, another diveboat passes near enough for them to get the captain's attention. They explain the situation (still in the water), the captain radios their dive boat. Their captain responds that there was an emergency and would return in about 30 minutes.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>The "rescue" dive boat offered to give our divers a ride. They declined and awaited their original dive boat.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Now...is this diver BS? Don't know. I mean, if you can't trust your instructor, who can you trust? Note: this does NOT apply to Rescue instructors during open water weekend. They pride themselves on this.</DIV>

ertechsg
07-19-2007, 12:53
I' d call diver BS or a fly by night dive company. Most, not all, dive ops there do a pre and post count. Not saying it doesn't happen but 1x a month no dive op would beleftoperating with that kinda of rep. Most of the ops treatall diver like beginners.Now those going to the gardens they leave people all the time.LOL

Vercingetorix
07-19-2007, 13:04
Now those going to the gardens they leave people all the time. Thanks...I'm diving the Gardens (18 Aug) with the same instructor who told me the above factoid.http://www.scubatoys.com/forum/smileys/smiley19.gif

ertechsg
07-19-2007, 13:06
I know! But, you also cert inJANat CSSP.I think you can handle it.

Jason
07-19-2007, 13:39
It can happen. But if you are a responsible diver you avoid the issue all together. The mistakes made in Open Water... Stay with your group! Just because you have a dive buddy doesn't mean you have the green light to go where ever you please! Be aware of your surroundings and people who you entered the water with (not just your dive buddy).

Another precaution... Avoid Cattle Boats! when 20 divers enter the water its easy for a captain to assume there are 20 divers all accounted for when he takes off.

Last but not least,
http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=SelfSealingSafetyTube

Joew
07-19-2007, 13:44
Last but not least,http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=SelfSealingSafetyTube

Good point. In the movie I don't think they had ANY sort of surface signaling device.

Vercingetorix
07-19-2007, 13:46
<DIV>
I know! But, you also cert inJANat CSSP.I think you can handle it.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>smileys/smiley4.gif</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>

Last but not least,
http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=SelfSealingSafetyTube

Roger that! </DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>I got my SMB several months ago. My whistle is zip-tied to my inflator hose. So, I've got a visual and a noise maker. I'm stopping by ST this weekend to purchase Finger Spool (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=FingerSpool)</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Shhh...don't tell my wife I'm going to ST. She thinks I'm "working Saturday at the office". She still doesn't know I own my own wetsuit. She thinks ST rented it to me for an extended period. OK...so I'm a coward. Sue me.</DIV>

Joew
07-19-2007, 14:30
Shhh...don't tell my wife I'm going to ST. She thinks I'm "working Saturday at the office". She still doesn't know I own my own wetsuit. She thinks ST rented it to me for an extended period. OK...so I'm a coward. Sue me.</div>

I would watch what you type. You do know that wives are everywhere, don't you. She probably has some spies on this board already. smileys/smiley36.gif

techgnostic
07-21-2007, 03:00
Good point. In the movie I don't think they had ANY sort of surface signaling device.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Of course not. A five minute movie is no good.</DIV>

przeor
07-21-2007, 04:14
dive alert! dive alert! That'd get the boats attention... or you could yell that would not be tipping the captain- i bet he'd here that a few miles away! And the movie would have been ten minutes- the nudity took up a few mintues.

Queen
07-21-2007, 08:13
If you can find a copy of the 1979 movie Ffolkes (or North Sea Hijack outside the US), it's got some excellent diving scenes.

Ajuva
07-21-2007, 11:09
Have to say I agree about The Deep, Probably one of my fave movies but extra cheesy. Into the blue is just a rip off of the plot line.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Enjoyed The Abyss, reality suspension to the max.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Ajuva</DIV>

Venio
07-21-2007, 14:47
Unfortunately Open Water is a true story. Here is a link (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_and_Eileen_L&#111;nergan) to wikipedia from it you can find the actual news releases about this tragic story.

As for OW2 the movie is smileys/smiley11.gif and now the story is about an yacht.

I'll have to agree with Ajuva about The Deep, The Abyss and Deep Blue as being the best UW/scuba movies.

Joew
07-21-2007, 15:18
I've never seen The Deep. I might need to make a trip to Blockbuster this weekend. smileys/smiley4.gif

Ajuva
07-21-2007, 20:23
Definitely worth it.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Watch out for the shark scenes with the dredge.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Classic</DIV>

jacewindu
07-21-2007, 20:24
sounds good - i'll be hitting up blockbuster as well

thesmoothdome
07-21-2007, 20:30
Unfortunately Open Water is a true story. Here is a link (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_and_Eileen_L&#111;nergan) to wikipedia from it you can find the actual news releases about this tragic story.

As for OW2 the movie is smileys/smiley11.gif and now the story is about an yacht.

I'll have to agree with Ajuva about The Deep, The Abyss and Deep Blue as being the best UW/scuba movies.

<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>OW was "based" on a true story, which probably means that someone, somewhere once got left behind and someone, somewhere once got eaten by a shark. </DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>The Abyss is definately the best UW movie made to date. </DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Did anyone see the Planet Earth cave diving feature? Now that was some amazing footage. </DIV>

tc_rain
07-21-2007, 20:47
I DVR'ed it

Venio
07-21-2007, 21:15
I got all of the Cousteau's Odyssey movies. They are pretty cool! I'll go watch some of them now smileys/smiley1.gif. brb

dmdoss
07-21-2007, 22:29
After how bad the 1st was, I cant understand why they made a 2nd Open Water.

techgnostic
07-21-2007, 22:43
The Abyss is definately the best UW movie made to date.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>They just reaired Men of Honor...even though it is old school, I like that movie a lot.</DIV>

tc_rain
07-21-2007, 23:17
I would love to watch some of the old Cousteau's

picxie
07-22-2007, 01:38

<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>OW was "based" on a true story, which probably means that someone, somewhere once got left behind and someone, somewhere once got eaten by a shark. </DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>The Abyss is definately the best UW movie made to date. </DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Did anyone see the Planet Earth cave diving feature? Now that was some amazing footage. </DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Open Water was based on a real incident that happened over on the Great Barrier Reef somewhere. Not some pacific island as was suggested in the movie. The couple were never found, however I believe some of their gear was. I can't remember what the ending was in OW - I remember sharks circling them?? From memory (I read up on it when the movie came out) "they" think that dehydration got the better of them and they took their gear off due to madness, and once their gear was off they quickly got tired and drowned. The gear was found complete - ie, no signs of shark attack.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>I actually liked the movie. It got boring, but it was a bit too close to home. Literally - GBR is only 'across the ditch' and I have friends who live over there.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>It did make me go out and buy a safety sausage too.</DIV>

tc_rain
07-22-2007, 01:49
I watched a movie on the box jelly fish that is found aroundthe GBR. That makes me think twice about diving there.

Venio
07-22-2007, 09:06
<div></div>
<div>...It did make me go out and buy a safety sausage too.</div>

I'll get a satellite phone smileys/smiley2.gif.

Lucky(AR)
07-22-2007, 10:20
id say deep parts lil cheesy but still a good movie

fire diver
07-22-2007, 10:30
Have to say I agree about The Deep, Probably one of my fave movies but extra cheesy. Into the blue is just a rip off of the plot line.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Ajuva</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Into the blue is NOT a rip-off. It's a modern re-tell of the same basic story line. The directors talked about that when the movie came out. In fact, when "Blue" was released, it was packaged witha DVD copy of The Deep.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>I never got into The Abyss. It just didn't "do" anything for me.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>The Planet Earth series is awesome! The cave diving part was really great. But all the water segments were great in my opinion.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>FD</DIV>

Venio
07-22-2007, 11:18
I would love to watch some of the old Cousteau's

Bit torrents can help you with that smileys/smiley2.gif.

Ajuva
07-22-2007, 15:04
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Ajuva</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Into the blue is NOT a rip-off. It's a modern re-tell of the same basic story line. The directors talked about that when the movie came out. In fact, when "Blue" was released, it was packaged witha DVD copy of The Deep.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>I never got into The Abyss. It just didn't "do" anything for me.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>The Planet Earth series is awesome! The cave diving part was really great. But all the water segments were great in my opinion.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>FD</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>"Modern Re-tell" = "Rip-Off"</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>I don't mean it in a bad way, as you'll notice I list it as one of my favourites.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Also, I know it is not directly related but I still love the likes of Hunt for Red October and other "Sub" flics.</DIV>

Rascal1933
07-22-2007, 15:13
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>"The Deep" is my favorite movie for a couple reasons. I was new to the sport then so I could relate. Also Jackie Bisset wore that T-shirt diving. </DIV>
<DIV>
<DIV></DIV>Hey there splitlip &gt; Now that's what I'am talking about! smileys/smiley20.gif</DIV>
<DIV>Good movie too....</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>The appearance of the giant moray eel featured in the film stiil gives me the shivers.smileys/smiley3.gif</DIV>

Rascal1933
07-22-2007, 18:27
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Oh Yes ... there was a giant moray eel.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>I see it in my nightmares all the time! </DIV>

Venio
07-22-2007, 19:05
<div>Actually, that was one of my favorite scenes. When I heard of the diver loosing his thumb to the Moray recently I imediately thought of Louis Gosset Jr.</div>

Here's a video that gives a valuable lesson why we shouldn't touch WILD life and also not dive naked as someone was suggesting in other thread.

WARNING: THE LINK CONTAINS SOME DISTURBING IMAGES.

The link (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1iMX0lHjsAU)</font>
</font>

tc_rain
07-22-2007, 19:11
I got nothing on the link

Venio
07-22-2007, 19:19
Try again and let me know if it works. I am able to get to the video.

94GTStang
07-23-2007, 00:52
Oh wow that was a good video! Nice!

Oh, and I just got down watching Into the Blue with the girlfriend as our pre-Cozumel movie. Ah... I can't wait for nice clear waters... I would like to check out Bahamas sometime though

liuk3
07-23-2007, 13:14
I actually thought the underwater scenes in Into the Blue were pretty cool, especially in the first half of the movie.

fire diver
07-23-2007, 16:48
Into the Blue ROCKS!!!

Rascal1933
07-24-2007, 21:49
Whoo,Who,What,Where...I just woke up from my nap http://www.scubatoys.com/forum/smileys/smiley12.gif
<DIV>Did someone say something about Jessica Alba?</DIV>

94GTStang
07-24-2007, 23:43
I might have mentioned her in a previous post or two... or 10 or 13

scuba Widow
08-29-2007, 23:27
Unfortunately, I bought Open Water and watched Open Water 2, both were awful. I bought the one because it was a true story that I had previously seen on Dateline NBC one night and I thought it would be interesting to see and that finflippers would really enjoy it I was wrong.

JCAT
08-30-2007, 07:37
I actually thought OW was 1st rate. Not the plot or the story, but the acting.

The emotions portrayed by the actors were well done.

CaribbeanDiver
08-31-2007, 20:20
they cant, both actors died in the movie. In real life, we do not know what really happened to either of them. If they show up, then maybe they could make an open water 2 with a different ending.

Capt Hook
08-31-2007, 20:32
Don't really know of any great scuba movies. Hate to say it but our favorites are the ones we shoot ourselves!

Desert_Diver
08-31-2007, 21:33
For those that were asking "Could Open Water actually happen?", two British divers were left by their boat near Antigua on August 29. They weren't missed on any subsequent dives or at lunch. Captain, instructor and 2 DMs didn't realize what had happened until the men's wives came to collect them after the dive. The divers were picked up by a rescue boat and a chopper. They were dehydrated and badly sunburned. They spent about 5 hours in the water.

The incident occurred at the Sandels Resort in Antigua.

Art

georoc01
08-31-2007, 22:08
Its stories like that make me consider one of those airhorns for my BC!

TexasFreddy
08-31-2007, 22:27
I vote for The Abyss closely followed by Jessica Alba in anything, or maybe in very little.:smiley20:

danielh03
10-17-2007, 02:49
Only diving I have ever watched on TV was on the Discovery Channel.

RoadRacer1978
10-17-2007, 08:29
I found the first Open water somewhat interesting to watch, but it was so bad for the dive community as a whole, IMHO. As I talk with nondivers trying to turn them onto the sport the second fear they have, after sharks, is being left behind by a dive boat. I try to explain that it is so rare and would likely never happen with an established charter they are still convinced that divers get left beind all the time. That movie, like JAWS instilled a fear in people that will take a long time to git rid of.

Only diving movies I have really liked are the documentaries.

chace_nicole
10-17-2007, 16:31
Into the Blue just makes me want to give diving, Paul Walker can be my dive buddy anyday!

OW2, thought it would be about diving & even though I heard it was bad, I had a friend pick it up from blockbuster. Not EVEN about diving, the whole cast jump off a sailboat for a swim & no one put the ladder down!

Roughwater
12-04-2007, 23:19
I can't really agree that Open water was based on a true event, besides the fact 2 people got left behind.

I mean sheesh - jellyfish that sting through wetsuits!!??! Then the shark attach scene. Not only way out there, but couldn't they think of anything else. About the only thing they didn't throw in there was a crocodile!

I mean, if it was fiction based well - fair enough, but advertising it as based on a true story was pretty lame. (I gues it's the only way they would have sold tickets!)

As for good movies (entertaining, not necessarily based on truth):

- Into the blue.
Yes, I enjoyed that. It's good for the misses too, as it's a 'chick' kind of flick.

The Abyss
Good fiction movie. Bit of action, bit of a love story again for the misses - so good to watch together.

Men of Honour
More old style 'navy' diving, but a good drama.

The Cave
I loved this movie! OK, definitely fictional. (Exploding DPV's and Rebreathers, along with some nasty creatures) - but entertaining for a thriller.

OK - maybe it's not fictional after all - well according to the third item at this link cave divers do have to be careful of monsters that can eat you alive. :smilie39:
World's Most Dangerous Sports | Deadly and Dangerous Sports (http://www.kidzworld.com/article/1984-worlds-most-dangerous-sports)

moosicman
12-04-2007, 23:47
how about this movie: The Big Blue

it had Rosanna Arquette (http://imdb.com/name/nm0000275/) and jean reno in it...a free diver movie but still a good one...old though

Lake Diver
12-13-2007, 16:19
i unfortunately didn't escape from open water. i will, however, not be making the mistake again by watching open water 2.

They only way to watch "Open Water 2" is on 4x fast forward...won't miss a thing :smilie40:

Scubadew
12-14-2007, 22:58
Loved Men of Honor, and enjoyed the Abyess, and Into the Blue. Like the James Bond movies with underwater scenes, even the wild knife fights when Bond's hose is cut and he has to make it to the surface...

I have tried watching Open Water a half dozen times, but it is just boring - I can't last more than 10 minutes into the movie.

Oh well.

Debbie

DollFin
12-18-2007, 01:26
I saw Open Water before I ever got certified.

That couple was just so annoying, I rooted for the sharks!

The Abyss, on the other hand... LOVE it. See the "special edition" if you get it in DVD, the ending makes much more sense.