PDA

View Full Version : Wet suit storage

Tableleg
10-29-2007, 14:22
So I've heard from several people that "Folding your wetsuit will destroy it!!!" and that anything neoprene should be hung or laid flat somewhere to 'prolong it's life'.

What do you guys think? My dive bag (http://www.tusa.nl/cataloque/tusa_diving/bags.htm) (the MBP-1) used to fit and store all my gear as long as my 2 mil suit was folded in half twice (first left to right, then top to bottom), but since I recently got a 5/4/3, I've been rearranging everything and trying to find the best configuration of my dive stuff. I've made some closet room for my two wet suits to hang for storage, but what about travel? It is alright to fold the suits and travel with them like that? What is every one's views and opinions?

RonFrank
10-29-2007, 14:28
If one stores Neoprene for a long period of time folded up the neoprene will become permanently creased, and crushed at the creases. I don't know if that will result in less exposure protection, but it sounds like it can.

I store my wetsuit hanging in my bedroom closet.

For travel, no worries. Even on trips across the globe the amount of time the suit is going to be folded up should not result in permanent creases. I pack my wetsuit in with my other clothing so other dive equipment is not on top of it, but traveling with a wetsuit folded up is a non-issue unless they loose you luggage! :smiley21:

auvie
10-31-2007, 17:18
Creases also become permanent when there is a lot of pressure placed on the fold, e.g. folding it up and cramming it into a box or luggage bag. Make sure the suit is gently folded.

As an alternative, you could try rolling it up to (mostly) avoid folding altogether.

Puffer Fish
10-31-2007, 17:52
Creases also become permanent when there is a lot of pressure placed on the fold, e.g. folding it up and cramming it into a box or luggage bag. Make sure the suit is gently folded.

As an alternative, you could try rolling it up to (mostly) avoid folding altogether.
I hang them at home, and semi-roll when travelling. At least when travelling, the creases are not always in the same place. I wear a suit out, before the creases become an issue, but I suppose that is not true with everyone.

CompuDude
10-31-2007, 18:35
Yup. Hang and home, fold gently or roll while traveling, and hang again when you arrive at your destination. Do your best to keep it in the bag for as short a time as possible, but there's no need to be frantic about it.

bubble-head
10-31-2007, 19:13
I was taught to hang them up from a hanger inside out. You also want to keep them out of sunlight due to the destructive properties of ozone.

acamato
12-23-2008, 08:36
Keep all your gear in the TRUNQ Sports Utility Box. Keep your car clean and prolong wetsuit life by keeping all your gear in the TRUNQ S.U.B.

Organize small gear in the drop down tray. Use the fold out changing mat to ease with dirt and sand exchanges. Keep your wetsuit and all wet gear in the 15 gallon storage container.

Please check us out at Trunq.com - (http://www.TRUNQ.com)

What does the Trunq do to prolong wetsuit besides reduce UV exposure?

Daz
12-23-2008, 09:22
Absolutely nothing

emt
01-11-2009, 17:19
1/2 of mine laying on closet shelf, 1/2 of mine hung up.

IrishSquid
01-11-2009, 18:44
If one stores Neoprene for a long period of time folded up the neoprene will become permanently creased, and crushed at the creases. I don't know if that will result in less exposure protection, but it sounds like it can. ....

I've heard this before, but I think it would be a non-issue. You might have at worst; a cold line of what might be a 1/4" or so?

lund0485
01-11-2009, 20:29
I have one of these closet boxes from a moving company, with the bar inside for hanging the wetsuits on. Seal it up with packing tape once its all dry, vent hole at the top and put it in the garage or basement.

fldiver
01-30-2009, 19:15
My wetsuit is stored wherever it lands after drying. Usually the closet or back in the boat. It seems to work fine the next time out.

Daz
03-10-2009, 17:19
Absolutely nothing

I am sorry to tell you that you are incorrect. The TRUNQ will help you to keep your wetsuit in better condition from day to day use.

The TRUNQ S.U.B helps to prolong wetsuit life by limiting the amount of sand and abrasion that occurs while changing in and out of your wetsuit. This is accomplished with the help of the TRUNQ changing mat which allows the user to change in and out of his/her wetsuit without having it touch the ground, thus exposing it to sand, dirt or hot asphalt.

:smilie39::smilie39::smilie39:

How much sand do you grind into your suit when changing?!?

I can see the use for a rinse/dry tub, but $50 for a plastic box/mat "system"? I don't think so.

scubadiver888
03-10-2009, 17:29
Absolutely nothing

I am sorry to tell you that you are incorrect. The TRUNQ will help you to keep your wetsuit in better condition from day to day use.

The TRUNQ S.U.B helps to prolong wetsuit life by limiting the amount of sand and abrasion that occurs while changing in and out of your wetsuit. This is accomplished with the help of the TRUNQ changing mat which allows the user to change in and out of his/her wetsuit without having it touch the ground, thus exposing it to sand, dirt or hot asphalt.

:smilie39::smilie39::smilie39:

How much sand do you grind into your suit when changing?!?

I can see the use for a rinse/dry tub, but $50 for a plastic box/mat "system"? I don't think so.
Maybe its for those when you dive with guys who stir up the slit? :smilie39:

Mine isn't the original TRUNQ. I bought a 8'x8', 6'x6' and 4'x6' tarp plus a RubberMaid RoughNeck 31L container. Total price: $25 Cdn (I think that is pocket change in US dollars :smiley36: ).

I have the difference size tarps in case (a) I'm sharing with a buddy or three and (b) I can fold it over to cover dry stuff when it is raining.
http://www****bbermaid.com/rubbermaid/images/product/2244-blue-mist_sm.jpg

scubadiver888
03-10-2009, 17:32
I was taught to hang them up from a hanger inside out. You also want to keep them out of sunlight due to the destructive properties of ozone.

Only time I was ever told to hang a wetsuit inside out was after day one of a dive trip. It drys faster that way. Also, if you are staying in an air conditioned room, turn the air conditioning down a little (not as cold) and it will help the suit dry faster.

The sunlight tip is a definite good tip. Sunlight definitely damages neoprene.

acamato
03-10-2009, 22:14
Absolutely nothing

The TRUNQ S.U.B also helps to prolong wetsuit life by giving the user a place to rinse his/her wetsuit. I have found that it the TRUNQ helps me take better care of my wetsuit. Where as before the TRUNQ my wetsuit may dry up and get salt residues. But with the TRUNQ I am much more concious of rinsing my TRUNQ and hanging it to dry.

Also check out the HANG GOOSE wetsuit hanger. Also available at the TRUNQ online store at Trunq.com - (http://www.trunq.com/)

So the Trunq replaces a tarp and a rubbermaid container and is at least 2x the cost. It still stores the wetsuit folded, which is not recommended by the mfgs... I still dont see the benefits of it.

Personially I use a rubbermaid contrainer and a neat sheet.
The Neat Sheet® Ground Cover - Water repellent sheet is versatile for indoor or outdoor use (http://www.theneatsheet.com/)

CompuDude
03-11-2009, 00:11
The Neat Sheet® Ground Cover - Water repellent sheet is versatile for indoor or outdoor use (http://www.theneatsheet.com/)

Interesting... tell me more about the neat sheet? Does water really roll off it? To the point where you never need to dry it, because it's dry after shaking it off once or twice? Condo living does not lend itself to air drying... no garage, no driveway, no yard. I'm happy with my DAN mat, but once wet sand doesn't always get out quite as thoroughly as I'd like...

acamato
03-11-2009, 07:16

Interesting... tell me more about the neat sheet? Does water really roll off it? To the point where you never need to dry it, because it's dry after shaking it off once or twice? Condo living does not lend itself to air drying... no garage, no driveway, no yard. I'm happy with my DAN mat, but once wet sand doesn't always get out quite as thoroughly as I'd like...

Water does bead up on it. After shaking it out there may be some small residual drops, but it will air dry pretty quick. The cost is around $11 for the smaller size.

Grizbear98
03-11-2009, 09:31
Does anybody have tips for storing a hood? Mine's just in my dive bag, but it has a huge crease on it, well it came with a crease, but now the other side is creasing too.

CompuDude
03-11-2009, 12:45
Does anybody have tips for storing a hood? Mine's just in my dive bag, but it has a huge crease on it, well it came with a crease, but now the other side is creasing too.

If you're super anal about it, buy a foam head like they use for wigs. There's also the UK accessory hanger (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=AccHanger) that has a curved hook for it to minimize the damage if you have room to leave your stuff hanging all the time.

http://www.scubatoys.com/store/accessories/pics/acchanger.jpg

Otherwise, you'll just have to deal with a crease like the rest of us. ;) Just lay it flat and don't worry about it.

acamato
03-11-2009, 15:45
The XS Scuba X5 hanger also has a spot for mask that I used for a hood..
The photo on ST does not show it: Xs Scuba X5 Hanger reviews and discounts, XS Scuba (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=XsScubaX5Hanger)

The hanger for the mask has the mushroom shaped top. I hang it by the face opening of the hood.

MSilvia
03-11-2009, 16:01
You must all have very pretty gear. My wetsuit, a custom 7mm farmer john/jacket that I bought in 1989, has been stored folded more times than I can count, and it still works just fine. Unless you bought a crappy suit, I personally wouldn't lose any sleep over it.

navyhmc
03-11-2009, 16:17
You must all have very pretty gear. My wetsuit, a custom 7mm farmer john/jacket that I bought in 1989, has been stored folded more times than I can count, and it still works just fine. Unless you bought a crappy suit, I personally wouldn't lose any sleep over it.

Fathom?

MSilvia
03-12-2009, 08:35
Fathom?
No, S.A.S. (Sub Aquatic Systems/Suits).

Grizbear98
03-12-2009, 22:54
Heh I won't even worry about the hood then, as long as it still works and keeps my head warm.

fanatique
03-25-2009, 00:12
Unless you keep it folded for reaaaaally prolonged times, folding it up for travel should be a non-issue. I can understand your dilemma because rolling it up really makes it an odd shape that is hard to pack.