PDA

View Full Version : DPV Opinions

terrillja
10-29-2007, 20:00
I'm looking to get a DPV, well 2 of them, one for me one for my dad (Christmas is coming up). I have been looking at the Sea-Doo Explorer for a few reasons:

Certified to 160'
3.3mph
Reasonable price (~$600)

Wondering if anyone owns one or has another that is at a similar price that they can recommend.

mitsuguy
10-31-2007, 00:20
for a "fun" scooter, I couldn't see needing anything more... I've used the really cheap ($200) ones and no issues with it that I saw... don't think it is quite as fast, but for something fun, why not.... looking at it, I think the one you are looking at would be my choice as well...

terrillja
10-31-2007, 00:26
for a "fun" scooter, I couldn't see needing anything more... I've used the really cheap ($200) ones and no issues with it that I saw... don't think it is quite as fast, but for something fun, why not.... looking at it, I think the one you are looking at would be my choice as well...

I like the 160' depth rating, a lot of the other ones are only good to 40' or 60' it seems. I had considered getting an extra battery, but the batteries have all sorts of circuitry and gizmos, so they are each $160-$225, depending who you buy from. Ouch.

terrillja
10-31-2007, 00:28
Found one place that sells it for $589, and has free shipping, which is a plus for something that weighs 32lbs.

Sea Doo Explorer Diver Propulsion Vehicle by Seadoo (http://seascooterexpress.com/store/product1.html)

terrillja
10-31-2007, 15:35
Just ordered them today, one for me, one for my dive buddy (my dad). Oh, and a leash for each one. Sure would a bummer to lose the scooter if you dropped it getting out of the boat.

I ordered one of these:

CRLO3, Light Accessories, Cetecea, CRLO3 (http://scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=CRLO3)

Now to convince my mom to let us play with them before Christmas. If not, we may just end up going into the lake anyways on Christmas day, depends on the ice at that point, some years the lake hasn't frozen over by then.

JahJahwarrior
10-31-2007, 15:45
Eh, the leash really won't help you. For one, that's a small clip thing for a light...

For another, you should be able to set the scooter up to be slightly negative or positive, depending on how you want it.

Third, you are a scuba diver. Unless you are diving like in the middle of the Pacific....how deep is your dive site anyways? Could you not realistically drop down and find it really fast?

If you are really worried, I'd just get a clip and a few feet of rope...

terrillja
10-31-2007, 15:50
Eh, the leash really won't help you. For one, that's a small clip thing for a light...

For another, you should be able to set the scooter up to be slightly negative or positive, depending on how you want it.

Third, you are a scuba diver. Unless you are diving like in the middle of the Pacific....how deep is your dive site anyways? Could you not realistically drop down and find it really fast?

If you are really worried, I'd just get a clip and a few feet of rope...

Depends where you are in the lake, you either have solid granite, or silt over 10' deep. I just want it so that the scooter will stay close, and this way it can be clipped off and not drift away if you need both hands for something.

PsychDiver
11-19-2007, 21:52
Let me know when you try these out. I am also looking at purchasing two of them but want to have some more info from someone who has actually used them.

terrillja
11-22-2007, 20:58
Just took the scooters out today, and they were so much fun. In the water, I kept it slightly negative, so it would rest below me while doing a deco stop, the least that I ordered worked perfectly.

These things weigh a ton out of the water (~30-35 lbs), but underwater they fly along, very maneuverable, it was so much fun weaving between rocks as if they are a slalom course. It was fast, even with a dry suit on, even in the second speed, and when it was in the third speed, it flew along. At top speed, the battery lasted for about 45 minutes, though at low speed it should last for 120 minutes. The bad part, once it has been used, the battery takes forever to recharge, about 10 hours or so, so no repetitive dives if you are using it at top speed.

I hope to take them out again tomorrow, they definitely help cover ground, some additions I am considering are adding a compass, and adding a light or 2.

If anyone has any questions, PM me.

Oh, and post #250.

PsychDiver
11-22-2007, 21:48
Sounds like fun! I am in the processof ordering two with two extra batteries for the reason they take so long to charge. That way I can do two dives a day and then charge overnight. Wow, I guess I better order two extra chargers too. Now the money is adding up.

terrillja
11-22-2007, 21:52
Sounds like fun! I am in the processof ordering two with two extra batteries for the reason they take so long to charge. That way I can do two dives a day and then charge overnight. Wow, I guess I better order two extra chargers too. Now the money is adding up.

Yeah, the smart batteries are a bit pricey. I would like to buy extras, but the cost now hurts to think about.

Check leisurepro, they have the best prices on the batteries that I have seen

http://www.leisurepro.com/Prod/SDOSEB.html?Search=op%3ddtSearch%26Term%3dexplorer %26SearchFlag%3dall%26AdvSrchSortField%3dRelevance %26DescSort%3d0%26Hit%3d1

They may also be able to get the chargers for less.

mcc2318
11-26-2007, 12:52
nice toy but not to rich for me

skdvr
01-01-2009, 19:26
Just curious how you guys are liking the Sea-Doos???

Have they held up well???

Phil

skdvr
01-02-2009, 07:54
Thanks...

Phil