PDA

View Full Version : Fin Advice

divedeeper
10-29-2007, 21:11
Hey gang!

I just got some Birthday money and I want to buy fins. Here's the deal... I have a bodyglove mask and snorkel (cheap!). I don't have fins yet, but its all i need for my OW cert class. Should I break down and buy the Raptors that no one seems to have a review on or should I try the avanti superchannels(supposedly like a split fin) and get a freakin sweet atomic mask with the diff in price? My hips are rotated out somewhat so fins have always been a problem. There are SO many fins and my LDS doesn't have the facility to try them. I'm going to find out their return policy, but still its a pain to go buy fins, try them out, bring them back, etc round and round. How do I know what to get?? Help, friends!! :smiley20:

Thanks!!

Dive Deeper

whitenoise
10-30-2007, 04:11
Hi divedeeper. While I haven't had chance to try them out yet I would recommend the Apollo bio-fins, although this is probably out of your price range.

I have the atomic clear frameless and it's an excellent mask. Low volume, excellent vision all around and a clear view! Worth the price I would say. Don't forget though the most important consideration is to get a mask to fit your face, regardless of the brand.

Zenagirl
10-30-2007, 07:40
Personally I think it's really important to try as many fins as you can before you decide which to buy. There are so many variations in how they feel and work in the water, which combined with the different kicking styles we all have, makes for quite a variation.

For instance, I find all split fins to feel floppy and inefficient. Had I bought before I tried, I would own a pair of Apollo Bio Fins that I'd have to sell on ebay. Instead I dive ScubaPro Jet Fins which are affectionately called "bricks" by many and I've heard from a number of folks who talk about instant cramping while using them.

The trick is to find the perfect fin for YOU, and the only way to do that is to swim/dive with different ones to figure out which one is right for you. I would say that since you say you have hip problems, you might look more toward split fins which require a much smaller kick to work properly.

divedeeper
11-06-2007, 21:24
Thanks for the advice. I tried on a pair of Tri-ex fins and love the way they feel. I want to try them out, but my LDS said i needed to buy them (which i did.) and try them out, but i had to return them without a scratch and i can't try them in the ocean else. Any advice on how to determine if these are the fins for me? With the money I saved, I ended up buying a new atomic frameless mask! (ahhhh! yes!!!!). Anyway, any tips you have would be great. Thanks gang,

Dive Deeper

Scuba Steve
11-07-2007, 00:14
From my experience, it was quite difficult to determine which fins I liked until I tried some fins out during a dive. I ended up choosing ScubaPro Twin Jets (split fins) due to the price, availability and reduced leg fatigue. I hear that the Twin Jet Maxs are much nicer but at an additional price. I also hear good things about the Oceanic V-16s, Atomic Split Fins and Apollo Bio Fins.

Zenagirl
11-07-2007, 07:44
Thanks for the advice. I tried on a pair of Tri-ex fins and love the way they feel. I want to try them out, but my LDS said i needed to buy them (which i did.) and try them out, but i had to return them without a scratch and i can't try them in the ocean else. Any advice on how to determine if these are the fins for me? With the money I saved, I ended up buying a new atomic frameless mask! (ahhhh! yes!!!!). Anyway, any tips you have would be great. Thanks gang,

Dive Deeper

Take them into a swimming pool and swim laps for at least 10 minutes. However, IMO a dive shop should be willing to let you try fins in a pool prior to buying and not hassle you about "returning" them.

CaribbeanDiver
11-14-2007, 12:05
take a look at the OMS Slipstreams. positive buoyancy which is a plus for many reasons including aide in maintaining proper trim, wont sink if you should drop them while waiting to climb back on the boat, are not splits which allow the user to perform all kicks and they are extremely efficient.
Splits will limit the kicks you can do and have been reported to be poor performers in current.
I had some Tusa X-pert zooms and thought they were great but after trying some non-splits, I realized splits are nothing more than a gimmick and only meant for use in low current while performing either a flutter or modified flutter kick.
lastly, the OMS Slipstreams are cheap when compared to the outrageous price of some splits, such as the Apollo or Scuba Pro Twin Jets.
And lastly, lastly, only OMS can boast that they cut a full minute off the swim time for US Navy divers in the 500 m swim.

Marcus
11-19-2007, 13:42
I have Apollo split fins(the stiffer version) and I absolutely love them. Heard the OMS fins are good too, but very different. The split fin idea is certainly not a gimmick.

mitsuguy
11-19-2007, 14:49
I've now used a multitude of fins as well...

And really... the words "it depends" are words to live by when it comes to this... What are you really wanting to do in your diving? How strong are you? How much aerobic fitness do you have? Do you plan on diving currents?

If you are stronger than you are aerobic, a paddle or blade fin... If you are more aerobic than strong, a softer, split fin might be your best choice...

azdiver
12-14-2007, 18:33
I use atomic splits and have no problem diving the currests of the somosomo straights in fiji with them Before I bought those I used plana avantis for more than 12 year.... I've gotten more power with the atomics.

adv_diver1
12-14-2007, 19:59
Tusa Liberator half foot fins - $29.95 on this site - You won't regret it and you won't believe the difference between full foot and halfies. If you don't have boots, get a $16 dollar pair. The Mares on this site are very good for the price. You will be in heaven until you get the chance to use really good gear and it won't break your budget for now.

Good Luck!