PDA

View Full Version : Oceanic computer cable

lovesmexico615
10-29-2007, 22:34
Hey guys.... recently purchased the Oceanic VEO 250. I'm thinking about getting the download cable, but am wondering if the software that you use with it is Mac compatible. I don't know that much about the software, and am in an all Mac household...

terrillja
10-29-2007, 23:04
Hey guys.... recently purchased the Oceanic VEO 250. I'm thinking about getting the download cable, but am wondering if the software that you use with it is Mac compatible. I don't know that much about the software, and am in an all Mac household...

Well, no. Hopefully you have an intel mac, in which case you can do boot camp or parallels.

lovesmexico615
10-30-2007, 09:22
I do have an intel mac. I haven't had to run boot camp for anything yet (I do a lot of photo/video editing- almost everything I run is Mac native.) How do you folks who download your dives like keeping your log on the computer vs. writing it out? Not sure if it's because I'm new, but I enjoy writing out all the pertinent info in my log..

BobbyWombat
10-30-2007, 10:11
I'm with you, lovesmexico.

The download feature is really nice to see what was going on during your whole dive. This is great info, but it does not take the place of a log book.

Your VEO250 won't tell you who your buddy was, what gear setup you were using, routes taken, tips for next time, ect.... The Oceanic provided software will let you manually enter much of this information yourself.

I prefer to use a manual logbook to capture all of the "extra" data mentioned above, plus sketches of stuff I saw, dive path, and other things. An electronic log book is kinda locked down in terms of data you can input (you can put in pictures, and scan drawings into the Oceanic software, if you want to take the time to do it). Plus, I like having my log portable....easy to fill in between dives or later that evening w/o a laptop.

The data download is a great thing, however, I see is as something separate, but additive to my manual logbook.

Don't forget, if you bought your DC from ST, and ask real nicely, Joe might hook you up w/ the cable for $50.

lovesmexico615
10-30-2007, 10:30
Cool- all good info. So, does the software come with the data cable? I'm thinking that I should pick up the cable, just so I can see patterns in my dives- find ways to improve, and learn from past dives. I guess the data is something that you really can't completely analyze without a download.

georoc01
10-30-2007, 10:36
The software did not come with the cable I bought. I had to download it from the oceanic worldwide website.

NitroWill
10-30-2007, 10:39
I use VMWare Fusion to run a virtual Windows Box that I use to download my dives - seems the easiest way to do it - unfortunately..

BobbyWombat
10-30-2007, 12:56
Cool- all good info. So, does the software come with the data cable?

Nope. You will need to download the software from the Oceanic website. Not a big deal.

BTW: They will sell you a CD, if you want to pay for it, but the website download is FREE.

RonFrank
10-30-2007, 14:16
The dive download has a lot of data that one can not see just using the computer. You get graphs of the dives, sample rates, temp at every sample, time in, out, duration, PO2, and a whole lot of fun stuff. If you dive with an AI model, you get starting pressure, ending pressure, Nitrogen Bar Graph Segment, and more.

The software also allows you to enter in all sorts of things for each dive. Under the headings of Location, Gear, and Buddies, there are check boxes, and places to enter just about any bit of information pertaining to a dive including freeform text areas for Directions, or Highlights where you could enter details.

In the Buddies area you can enter their contact information, and you can enter not just buddies, but crew members, Captain info, etc. I have not used this a lot, but I'm planning on using it more.

I also keep a paper log, but as my dive numbers increases, I find my enthusiasm for entering data about EVERY dive I do decreases. I still enjoy logging my vacation dives and memories, but no so much my normal, less than thrilling trips to CO mountain lakes, and the Blue Hole.

lovesmexico615
10-30-2007, 17:45
Looks like I'll be making a call to Joe tomorrow... hoping he'll give me the good (relatively...) price on the cable!

BobbyWombat
10-30-2007, 19:22
Looks like I'll be making a call to Joe tomorrow... hoping he'll give me the good (relatively...) price on the cable!

I'm sure if you bat your eyes and ask nicely, he'll hook you up with the $50 deal. You will be on the phone, so bat loudly.:smiley2:

lovesmexico615
11-02-2007, 17:38
Got the cable! Should be here next week!