PDA

View Full Version : Mares Icon Travel BC

couped243
10-30-2007, 05:58
Just checking to see if anyone has any experience with the Mares Icon. I would like an easy to pack travel BC and have been looking at the Mares. Does it really pack that small? Is it as functional as compared to any other BC? I've read some threads about traveling and I hear the BP/W type of system mentioned a lot. I don't really think I need that type of set up for the type of diving that I do right now, although I will start diving in Jersey this coming season and may consider it later on. Thanks

lovesmexico615
10-30-2007, 11:32
I have the women's version- the Allikai. Yes, it does pack up very small. It took me a couple dives to find places for everything- there is only one roll up pocket on mine (not sure how the men's version is, but I'm sure it's similar). I am really happy with the BC, and I really like how light it is.

NitroWill
10-30-2007, 11:34
If you want a nice compact travel BC check out the scout - its my everyday BC and its simple and solid..

Zeagle Scout BCD , BCDS: Women, Zeagle, Zeagle Scout BCD (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?product_id=ZeragleScoutBCD)

couped243
10-30-2007, 15:42
Yes I think the mens version has the same roll up pocket on the right. I looked at the Zeagle scout, hmm it looks good as well. It looks like it packs up small. I'll have some decision making to do. As far as the Allikai did you find that it was too loose around the waist with no velcro cummerbund?

lovesmexico615
10-30-2007, 18:42
You know, that was the biggest thing I was worried about when I tried it out. And yes, it feels different than a BC with a cummerbund, but I wouldn't say loose. It's snug over my wetsuit- I just tighten up the straps once I'm in the water to where it's comfortable, and I like that adjustments are easy without the cummerbund getting stuck behind my back or velcro'd to itself when getting in and out of gear.

The other thing, is that the BC is a back inflate. I'm still getting used to figuring out how much air I'm letting in and out of the BC just by timing and hearing, because you don't feel a squeeze at all.

Hope it helps!

As far as the Allikai did you find that it was too loose around the waist with no velcro cummerbund?

couped243
10-30-2007, 20:32
and I like that adjustments are easy without the cummerbund getting stuck behind my back or velcro'd to itself when getting in and out of gear.

As far as the Allikai did you find that it was too loose around the waist with no velcro cummerbund?

You know it's funny that you say that cuz that happens all the time!!LOL

kyfriedchipper
10-31-2007, 02:34
Looked at this BC long and hard - decided I'm going BP/W configuration instead because of simplicity, flexibility and durability.

couped243
10-31-2007, 06:31
Looked at this BC long and hard - decided I'm going BP/W configuration instead because of simplicity, flexibility and durability.

You know kyfriedchipper, I am also considering that option and jumped in on another thread here and got some great responses and advice. Just have to see what would work best. I don't know anyone that uses that type of set up so I never had an opportunity to witness it first hand. I am definitely researching it though. Thanks

messercat
11-05-2007, 11:38
I looked at this BC, too. seems to be very streamlined with the intention of traveling well. really liked the weight pocket sizes-- it actually allowed for putting the weights back into the pockets, where some others were poorly designed. what's with the roll up pocket, though? that seemed pretty cheesy. and there was what--- 2 D rings?

lovesmexico615
11-05-2007, 14:38
I have 4 D rings on mine. So far I haven't run out of places for anything, but I'm still finding things to add on...

Singlerm
01-02-2008, 19:31
I like it, but I'm switching to a BP/Wing soon. Not for anything having to do with the Icon, I'm just switching to the BP/W because I'm planning to transition into doubles.
As for the Icon, although it doesn't have a cummerbund, it does have two wide peices sewn into the waist belt area around the back on both sides inside of the waist belt. It serves as a more unobtrousive minimalist "cummerbund".
It is a great back inflate BC that happens to pack up small as well. I like the lack of pockets, I also like the detachable weight pockets Mares uses, the hold 13 lbs. each. more than most would need, it has side mounted tank pockets as well.
It has 45 LBS of lift, againg more than necessary for single tank recreational diving, but the wings do seem very streamlined.
It's a good back inflate BC, also check out the oceanic Excursion, since this one is a comparable type of BC.

Mitch