PDA

View Full Version : How to install Manta's spring straps?

Judestudio
07-19-2007, 07:39
I have a pair of Volo Power. When I unclip the plastic ABS strap that comes with, I found that there's a "stalk" that clicks onto the original strap that prevents it from over-rotating. Now when I try to clip the Manta spring strap (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=MantaSpringStrap) to the fins, it doesn't seem to fit. When I apply much force trying to fit the spring strap in, it looks like I'm scraping off a lot of the plastic stalk. I'm just a bit scared I'm going to damage the fins. Is this how it suppose to work?

I've tried my best to describe what I am seeing...sorry if it still sound vague, I'll try and take some photos later. Has anyone put a Manta spring strap on Mares fins before and can share how you did it?

frankc420
07-19-2007, 07:49
So on the round thing sticking out there's a raised piece? Cut it off with a razor blade... :)

Judestudio
07-19-2007, 08:07
So on the round thing sticking out there's a raised piece?
Yea, I think that's it. Just a stalk sticking out from the round tab (that LOCKS the plastic strap in place so that it doesn't spin around).

Cut it off with a razor blade... :)

smileys/smiley3.gif Oh ok...

frankc420
07-19-2007, 08:10
Just don't cut off the whole round tabsmileys/smiley3.gif

the gooch
07-19-2007, 10:01
Anyway you can post a pic of what you are seeing on the post of the fin

Joew
07-19-2007, 13:14
I just looked a pair of Mares fins, and I see what you mean. You might be able to mount the new straps without modifying anything. When you're putting the strap on hold it perpendicular to the fin then click it in place. Then just rotate the strap down to the normal position. This is how you mount the factory strap. If you do it this way then you'll still have the tab to prevent it from rotating, which is nice since the weight of the ss spring might make it hang down. I hope this makes sense. If it doesn't work than you can cut the tab, but make sure not to cut into the post.

Judestudio
07-19-2007, 16:23
I just looked a pair of Mares fins, and I see what you mean. You might be able to mount the new straps without modifying anything. When you're putting the strap on hold it perpendicular to the fin then click it in place. Then just rotate the strap down to the normal position. This is how you mount the factory strap. If you do it this way then you'll still have the tab to prevent it from rotating, which is nice since the weight of the ss spring might make it hang down. I hope this makes sense. If it doesn't work than you can cut the tab, but make sure not to cut into the post.
YES Joew, we're talking about the same thing. I find, to fit the plastic factory strap on, fact that it's plastic, it has a slight flexibility when I "rotate the strap down" from the stalk, and eventually it'll just click in place.

But for the metal spring strap, when I rotate around the stalk, it won't budge, the metal slice RIGHT into the plastic post and stalk, just doesn't fit!? I have to stop there, coz I know if I go on with it, it'll cut right into the post. I guess I just have to cut out the stalk / tab that stuck out from the post and see if that works.

PS. I will post a pic a little later, I just woke up....