PDA

View Full Version : Nitrox computer question

stranger
10-30-2007, 09:48
I'm looking for a computer for myself and am really liking the Aeris Atmos AI. However, I see that it's programmable for Nitrox diving. I'm not there yet so I was wondering if I could get it and just use it for regular air diving.

I thought I saw somewhere where there was a write-up on this question, but I can't find it now.

I figure if the computer can be used for regular diving, then it's something that I can grow into if/when I go Nitrox.

Thoughts? Comments? Suggestions?

Thanks

Defman
10-30-2007, 09:56
Yes, you can use it for air two ways... put it in air mode or in 21% Nitrox mode. If you think you may go Nitrox, and why not, then buy a Nitrox computer.

BobbyWombat
10-30-2007, 10:01
Yes, absolutely. You can use this (or any nitrox capable computer) for diving using air.

You are definitely headed the right direction: get a nitrox capable DC, then you can use if for nitrox if or when you get that training.

No Misses
10-30-2007, 10:04
I have the Aeris Atmos AI, The default setting (when you first power up) is Air. If you want to dive Nitrox, press and hold both buttons for ~3 seconds to access "Set 1". There you can change to any nitrox mix from 21% to 50%.

P.S. I am very happy with my Atmos AI.

BSea
10-30-2007, 10:28
If you have any idea that you might go to nitrox, then get a nitrox computer. It doesn't add much to the cost for comparable computers, and then you won't have to buy a new computer if/when you go to nitrox.

I can't see a reason for anyone to buy a computer that isn't nitrox compatable. Just my 2.

dallasdivergirl
10-30-2007, 10:35
From some one who started off with "I don't need nitrox" to just finished my nitrox class & buying a new computer (in just over 2 years) so I could dive nitrox, start off on the right foot!

stranger
10-30-2007, 13:27
thanks guys. since i can use it until the point i decide to move to nitrox, i see no reason not to get the computer i like

Zenagirl
10-30-2007, 13:49
That's exactly what I did. Bought an Aeris AI when I bought my first gear and didn't even think about nitrox until almost 3 years into diving. Now I dive nitrox whenever I can and am VERY glad that I didn't have to buy a new computer.

PlatypusMan
10-30-2007, 15:07
I have the Aeris Atmos AI, The default setting (when you first power up) is Air. If you want to dive Nitrox, press and hold both buttons for ~3 seconds to access "Set 1". There you can change to any nitrox mix from 21% to 50%.

P.S. I am very happy with my Atmos AI.

I also have this computer and use it for both air and Voodoo Gas; even replaced the user-replaceable battery myself when the time came and am still alive to tell you about it!

Puffer Fish
10-30-2007, 16:21
I'm looking for a computer for myself and am really liking the Aeris Atmos AI. However, I see that it's programmable for Nitrox diving. I'm not there yet so I was wondering if I could get it and just use it for regular air diving.

I thought I saw somewhere where there was a write-up on this question, but I can't find it now.

I figure if the computer can be used for regular diving, then it's something that I can grow into if/when I go Nitrox.

Thoughts? Comments? Suggestions?

Thanks
Good computer, but they all work with air... just use the nitrox when you get there (sooner, rather than later, I hope)

txmntman
10-30-2007, 16:44
You got it figured out exactly!!!

kyfriedchipper
10-31-2007, 01:37
This is a good forum overall to use others experiences and TRY not to make the mistake of buying the wrong equipment!

tarheeldiver
10-31-2007, 05:53
My wife has the AI and it is a very good computer very easy to read.

vsugihjoso
11-02-2007, 13:54
Some computer only goes to 50% nitrox and others go to 99%. How many % is most commonly used?

MSilvia
11-02-2007, 14:02
Some computer only goes to 50% nitrox and others go to 99%. How many % is most commonly used?
For recreational diving, 32% and 36% are very common. Other mixes between 21% and 40% are sometimes used as well. Gas mixes with over 40% or under 21% oxygen have specific applications in deep technical and deco dives, but require training beyond what is provided in the typical recreational nitrox class. For example, 100% oxygen is sometimes used for accelerating decompression, but if used incorrectly it could cause convulsions from central nervous system toxicity in relatively shallow water.

This, naturally, leads many knowledgable divers to shake their heads in disbelief every time the newspapers refer to a recreational diver's "oxygen tanks".

In any case, regular air is about 21% oxygen, and can be treated as equal to 21% nitrox for all practical purposes. If your computer can handle "EAN21", it can handle air.

vsugihjoso
11-02-2007, 23:43
Thanks Matt. I'm buying my first BCD, regulator and computers. Even though I never used Nitrox I want to make sure that I won't have to upgrade my gear when I do use it.

Vincent