PDA

View Full Version : Mares Proton Metal V16

the gooch
07-10-2007, 01:34
Last month on a trip to Puerto Rico I had the joy of a HP seat go in my first stage. It happened as soon as I pressurized the regulator while on the boat and heard a loud pop and then a continuous hiss.

After contacting a Mares rep. they had me send my regs in to their service center for warranty repair. --I must say that this was done in a very timely manner and at no charge to me.-- When I got the regs back I went over the paperwork in the box and noted that the HP seat(s) were replaced with an upgraded one made of new material.

My questions: Are these seats a known issue? Has anyone else had a similar issue? Why would Mares upgrade this seat if the old ones were not known to have problems?

--Just to note: I absolutely love my Proton Metal.

medic001918
07-10-2007, 05:56
I haven't heard of any issues. My fiance uses the V16 Proton non-metal version. I'd be curious to know if they are having any issues that we need to have addressed before a problem does develop.
<DIV>
Shane</DIV>

ScubaToys Joe
07-10-2007, 09:07
Are you sure it was the HP seat?? Normally a "pop and a hiss" is an o-ring going out. Seats normally just "creep". Slowly increase pressure to the point the reg starts a little (or big) free flow.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>But they have made improvements to the seat - but they have always been a 2 year replacement if needed - and with the new materials - they virtually never need replacement! You should not have any more problems. It's really a very well designed seat system - spherical instead of flat reduces wear points.</DIV>

the gooch
07-10-2007, 12:41
I am by no means a tech-thats for sure, but was told this by a local tech in PR. The regs came back with a description of what they changed and it was the HP seats and swapped them out for some new tri material ones.

I just hope it does not happen again. Overall I have been extremely happy with my proton metal/V16. Breathes the same at 30 fsw and 130 fsw.

somewhereinla
07-11-2007, 09:50
I have a v16 metal as well, and I am fairly happy with it except for the fact that it only breath very well when your head is down. I find that breathing is more difficult when looking up or straight such as when ascending.

Lucky(AR)
07-15-2007, 01:37
i got the mares v16 protons and i love them i used scubapro and titan regs before and i really like these mares !

Lucky(AR)
07-15-2007, 01:38
just wanted to say i agree with somewhereinla when u lay on your back and look up is a bit harder to breathe

somewhereinla
07-17-2007, 01:25
I should say all reg breath better head down as gravity helps the diaphragm, however my Apeks does a better job in all position than my Mares. That said, the V16 metal is a great reg. I especially love the fact that it keeps your mouth moist, the Apeks is very dry reg...

cummings66
07-17-2007, 18:46
If you want to see hard wet breathing upside down, try a Sherwood Brut. They'll work, but they're sloppy and the difference is noticeable.

JonS
07-17-2007, 20:09
I had the same "pop and hiss" problem on my Mares Limited Edition Metal first stage earlier this month. The reg is in for service. Still waiting to learn what happened.

Is it pure coincidence that the first place I look to see if anyone else has had this problem I find the exact same thing happened to somebody else right around the same time.

Now I'm really curious if others have had this problem.

the gooch
07-18-2007, 14:33
I had the same "pop and hiss" problem on my Mares Limited Edition Metal first stage earlier this month. The reg is in for service. Still waiting to learn what happened.

Is it pure coincidence that the first place I look to see if anyone else has had this problem I find the exact same thing happened to somebody else right around the same time.

Now I'm really curious if others have had this problem.

When you get it back check to see if they upgraded the HP seat to the tri-material one and post your findings if you don't mind.

JonS
07-19-2007, 21:57
First the problem. The "pop and hiss" in my case turned out to be failure of the o-ring located between the body of the 1st stage and the HP Seat. The o-ring as well as a plastic washer both were "seriously chewed up" according to the tech who did the repair/overhaul. He told me that this is a fixed o-ring and therefore highly unusual for the o-ring to fail, as it does not move.

Since the reg has never been opened before this service (only about a year of use past new) the logical conclusion is damage to the o-ring and washer during manufacture. There was nothing I could have done to head off this problem other than perhaps have somebody open and inspect my brand new reg.

As for the HP seat, it was replaced as part of this repair (as it would have been during more routine annual maintenance) with the new tri-material piece you asked about. This was also done on another Mares reg sent in at the same time for annual service (a Proton Ice). Apparently this is what Mares is recommending for standard service.

I remain curious about whether this o-ring failure was an isolated event or if others have had the same problem. Will be interesting to learn what Mares has to say. Problem reported to company rep by tech but haven't heard back yet.

the gooch
07-22-2007, 07:16
Thanks for the follow up.

Queen
07-22-2007, 08:03
Since the V16 is no longer available, does anyone know what Mares replaced it with?

the gooch
07-22-2007, 17:41
I don't think they "replaced" it with any other reg but in the same point of their lineup falls the V32 which I believe is a step above the V-16

Krakenn
07-27-2007, 20:55
I have a Metal Proton with a v16 and my wife has a standard proton with the v16. While no problem with my wifes reg (mind you not as much use) I had a creep problem with my reg. The HP seat was replaced in Australia under warranty I was told there had been a problem with the seats.

I believe the 1st stage has now been replaced by the V32. Which is similar to what has been on the Abyss for some years now.

I love my Mares Metal and it replaced my very old (still great) US Divers Conshelf 20. I was torn between the Proton and the Oceanic Zeta. In the end im extremely happy with my Proton Metal.

Krakenn

mermoose
10-04-2007, 23:26
I was looking at the metal proton in ST last week. I did not realize there were other models of the proton out there until I read this thread.I am currently diving a genisis reg. and get tired of the way it takes on salt water if you hang out upside down, freshwater doesn't seem to be so bothersome. So, I was interested in something with a small lightweight second stage that would perform better and I liked the look of that metal proton. Am having second thoughts about it now.
Anyone care to comment?