PDA

View Full Version : Why not fill out a more complete profile??

WaScubaDude
10-30-2007, 18:37
Let us know where you are from, number of dives, pic of your mug etc...

Just click "User CP" (upper left corner of your screen) then click "Edit profile"

texdiveguy
10-30-2007, 18:59
Let us know where you are from, number of dives, pic of your mug etc...

Just click "User CP" (upper left corner of your screen) then click "Edit profile"

DITTO!!!!!!

NitroWill
10-30-2007, 19:05
And add a cool avatar and profile picture while you are at it ;)

thor
10-30-2007, 22:09
Also please provide social security number, mother's maiden name, home address, and the combination to your high school gym locker

texdiveguy
10-30-2007, 23:13
Also please provide social security number, mother's maiden name, home address, and the combination to your high school gym locker

No need in that information....just scuba related stuff is fine.

BSea
10-30-2007, 23:14
Don't forget any credit card numbers & available credit.

texdiveguy
10-30-2007, 23:19
Why is it that a few forum members feel it is either difficult or prying ,that completing a wee bit of scuba bio information to share with other forum members is so bad?

NitroWill
10-31-2007, 01:58
And add a cool avatar and profile picture while you are at it ;)

Well, I'v tried uploading an image direct, I'v uploaded a couple of images to the gallery & tried to link to one.

No luck so far any suggestions.

whats the problem? for the avatar - you need to resize the image smaller..

NitroWill
10-31-2007, 02:04
Just testing

Your profile pic is up now - now just take that image and resize it and upload for avatar or use another and do the same..

NitroWill
10-31-2007, 02:15
whats the problem? for the avatar - you need to resize the image smaller..

Doubt I have the software, the knowledge to use it & definitely not enough interest to bother further.

Thanx for the reply.

try saving this and uploading it for your avatar - should work..

http://img524.imageshack.us/img524/7886/picture1eb6.png

NitroWill
10-31-2007, 02:25
Here we go..

http://img140.imageshack.us/img140/4894/avatarzb8.gif

NitroWill
10-31-2007, 02:29
Here we go..

http://img140.imageshack.us/img140/4894/avatarzb8.gif

testing.
:smiley20:

NitroWill
10-31-2007, 07:37
:smiley20:

Next time your in Oz I'll show you around the Solitary Islands, that's my backyard. There's 5 of them spread over 60km or so of the mid north coast :smiley29:, not to mention all the rocks, reefs & washes.

You probably deserve a proper beer too.

Haha alright - next time I jump on a plane to oz ill let ya know :smiley20:

cgvmer
10-31-2007, 08:04
Well as to the subject of the OP, I updated my info

BSea
10-31-2007, 09:28
OK OK, I've updated mine some more. Now everyone knows how old I am.

But no credit card information.:smiley21:

kenmendes
10-31-2007, 11:37
Yes if you can give us your ssn and your mother's maiden name and the names of your wife and children that would be great. Any other personnel info you can provide would be great.. JUST KIDDING!!!

No Misses
10-31-2007, 12:32
Here are some examples of why a little bit of infomation can be helpful.
1) I see new members coming online and saying that they are looking for dive buddies. I can tell you that without location information, the chances of finding a buddy will be minimal.
2) I saw a question regarding solo diving: I do a lot of solo, so I figured that I would add my .02. The first thing that I did was look at the member's current certification level and # of dives. I saw a recently certified OW diver with 0-24 dives. Knowing this limited amount of information helped me format an approprate response.
3) What thickness of wetsuit should I get? Location information is needed in order to make a recomendation.

CompuDude
10-31-2007, 12:55
Absolutely. # of dives helps evaluate a person's responses, to at least a certain extent... someone could lie, after all, but to what end?

Location information is really crucial for providing regionally-accurate recommendations... I'm not going to recommend a dive skin as exposure protection to someone living in Seattle unless they are asking about diving in Aruba! Saves a lot of inapplicable responses.

WaScubaDude
10-31-2007, 14:00
Well as to the subject of the OP, I updated my info

Good on ya mate!

cummings66
10-31-2007, 20:49
I won't complete the number of dives I have because I do not want anybody to think my advice is either not worth listening too, or it's gospel. It is what it is and you should be able to tell if I know what I'm saying by what I say.

For example I'll say I have less than 1000 dives and it doesn't mean anything. I have around 200 dives in conditions that range from 0 feet of vis to at most 40 feet with most of them being 5 to 10 feet. All cold water with temps ranging from 36 degrees to around 75 degree's with most of them being around 45 degrees. Depths range from near 130 feet to getting sunburned and durations ranging from 1 minute to retrieve a scuba item dropped overboard to near 2 hours in length. Gasses range from 40% to 21%. I have certs to do all the dive types I do and actively dive. I have the rescue cert and it wasn't handed to me. I have experience with several agencies as well.

I haven't been a diver for decades, been pretty steady at it over a few short years.

Now, does my dive count mean I know less than the guy with 1000 dives who's got that number over 30 years, or more than the guy with 50 dives in the past month? What about the scuba instructor who's only dives are those with students in 30 feet of water, and at least 100 10 minute dives to get the number up so they could be an instructor.

The number means nothing for all the reasons above, so why should I tell anybody what my dive count is? It's got absolutely no bearing on what I know or even how active I am.

I would be willing to post how many hours I have but the number is meaningless without more data. To be useful we need to know how long they've been diving, how many hours they have, and how many hours in the last month or last 90 days.

That's my feeling and why I won't fill out that part of my profile.

texdiveguy
10-31-2007, 21:50
I won't complete the number of dives I have because I do not want anybody to think my advice is either not worth listening too, or it's gospel. It is what it is and you should be able to tell if I know what I'm saying by what I say.

For example I'll say I have less than 1000 dives and it doesn't mean anything. I have around 200 dives in conditions that range from 0 feet of vis to at most 40 feet with most of them being 5 to 10 feet. All cold water with temps ranging from 36 degrees to around 75 degree's with most of them being around 45 degrees. Depths range from near 130 feet to getting sunburned and durations ranging from 1 minute to retrieve a scuba item dropped overboard to near 2 hours in length. Gasses range from 40% to 21%. I have certs to do all the dive types I do and actively dive. I have the rescue cert and it wasn't handed to me. I have experience with several agencies as well.

I haven't been a diver for decades, been pretty steady at it over a few short years.

Now, does my dive count mean I know less than the guy with 1000 dives who's got that number over 30 years, or more than the guy with 50 dives in the past month? What about the scuba instructor who's only dives are those with students in 30 feet of water, and at least 100 10 minute dives to get the number up so they could be an instructor.

The number means nothing for all the reasons above, so why should I tell anybody what my dive count is? It's got absolutely no bearing on what I know or even how active I am.

I would be willing to post how many hours I have but the number is meaningless without more data. To be useful we need to know how long they've been diving, how many hours they have, and how many hours in the last month or last 90 days.

OK...OK,,,, so now that we have all that clear....how many dives do you have?

DZorn00
11-01-2007, 07:17
updated the age, not sure how that could help, I am still 21 no matter what my birth certificate says.

Charlotte Smith
11-01-2007, 07:27
Been there...done that.....
I am 21 with 21 years of experience......

RoadRacer1978
11-01-2007, 08:14
I had my profile pretty well filled out and complete when I joined up. I added to show my age. About all I could due to add more info about me.

Tableleg
11-01-2007, 09:13
Well there's no sense in me adding my location: any advice given to me would end up being "Find a place with water" :smiley19: :smiley36:

ScubaJW
11-11-2007, 21:58

I totally agree with this post!

jwagner
11-13-2007, 06:50
Everything you see on the internet is true.......right?

kenmendes
11-13-2007, 08:43
Everything you see on the internet is true.......right?

Of course it is. Just keep telling yourself that....

quasimoto
11-13-2007, 15:47
But filling out the profile correctly would take all the fun out of it. BTW, mine is far from true.

TRACI
11-13-2007, 15:50
Wow, everything I read is not true? :smilie39:

BouzoukiJoe A.K.A. wrecker130 AKA Chuck Norris AKA joeforbroke (banned)
11-13-2007, 16:03
Not true!?

You've burst my bubble!

jwagner
11-13-2007, 16:42
I can only take so much..................

scubajane
12-03-2007, 18:08
when I first signed up for the forum I did not want to bear my soul to people I did not know and who had the potential to hurt me... but you guys have been great!!! I have been to other forums where I was told 'you don't matter you are just text" wow what a blow to the ego.. I don't go there any more. this is a great bunch of people. very non judgmental helpful and downright funny. way to go. I'm learning to trust again. so.... I'll updade my info

WV Diver
12-03-2007, 18:58
I must admit, I do like a well detailed profile page. I think you get a better idea of the person themselves besides just the obvious statistics.

WaScubaDude
01-24-2008, 18:42
Feel free to fill out more of your profile. Often I read posts and wonder where you are from? How old etc.

Kingpatzer
01-24-2008, 19:03
Even small bits of information can be placed together to end up giving a potential identity thief everything they need to know to get going.

Probably the best course of action is to fill all of that information in with blatant lies.

pyre24
02-14-2008, 10:38
I fiiled out mine. dont think anyone would want my identity.

rfb3
02-14-2008, 10:53
Why is it that a few forum members feel it is either difficult or prying ,that completing a wee bit of scuba bio information to share with other forum members is so bad?

I agree. Not that the info couldn't be incorrect... But its kinda fun to see the dive experience and geo location of the person you are "chatting" with.