PDA

View Full Version : Air integrated computers

Texas_Aggie06
10-30-2007, 21:47
Let's talk air integrated computers including wireless.

How many actually dive one?

Are you finding any real benefits?

Do you dive a back up computer, and how does this affect your diving as the backup is most likely not air integrated as well?

Advokat
10-30-2007, 22:01
This topic is discussed here every single day...

thor
10-30-2007, 22:17
I have one and love it. Wireless. No problems with losing signal. One less hose. Probably should have some sort of backup but I don't.

Puffer Fish
10-30-2007, 22:20
I have two, a wireless and a regular... love both of them.. normal dive the wireless, and have a small spg...Makes a very clean setup... Air2, primary and wireless... if I did not have the SPG, would only have two hoses.

cummings66
10-31-2007, 07:17
I have the VT3 and love it. I have in 1.5 years of diving with it lost lock only one time. I don't know why, but it wouldn't lock on either the back gas or the pony. Lots of floating crud in the water but I've dove with worse before and had no problems.

I trust it pretty much, but I'm aware that without warning you can lose the lock. I wouldn't dive without it. As to benefits, I don't exploit them but I do use them to double check my own reasoning.

charlesml3
10-31-2007, 07:44
Sure, I've been diving with a Oceanic Pro Plus for years now. It's AI and I do not have a backup computer. I like AI because it integrates everything into one unit. I like diving with only the gear I absolutely need. In addition, the AI gives me dive time remaining by sampling my gas usage and projecting it out. Since I'm almost always on Nitrox, the gas time is my limiting factor, not NDL.

-Charles

Zenagirl
10-31-2007, 07:56
I dive with an Aeris AI and love the air integration feature. Not only is all my information in one place, but it's easy to understand and use.

My backup is my husband/buddy. He usually has about 200-300psi less air than I and we dive nearly identical profiles (plus I'm pretty dilligent about knowing how much air and time I have at all times during a dive). If my computer ever went out during a dive, the dive would be immediately aborted and my buddy and I would go to the surface together.

BSea
10-31-2007, 07:57
Let's talk air integrated computers including wireless.

How many actually dive one?

Are you finding any real benefits?

Do you dive a back up computer, and how does this affect your diving as the backup is most likely not air integrated as well?
I use a wireless computer. Mostly because that way everything is in one place. I also have a SPG for backup. So the real benefit is nothing more than convenience. I really struggled with this when I bought the computer since there was a less expensive version that did everything but the wireless part. But my LDS made me a good deal on a reg & computer, so I went with the integrated model.

I sometimes use a backup computer, but it isn't nitrox, so that limits me. I really just use it for insurance. When you go to the flower gardens, you have to sit out the rest of the day if your computer dies. So that's really the only reason I use my backup. I'm sure some of the tech guys use a backup in guage mode.

This topic is discussed here every single day...I know many subjects are discussed multiple times over the course of a day,week, or month. But many people aren't here as much as some of us. Plus, have you ever tried using the search? Sometimes it's really hard to find a specific answer. And people new to this board, or new to boards in general, don't know about the search. So if the subject seems redundant to you, remember that it's fresh for them.

kenmendes
10-31-2007, 11:46
i like the idea of having everthing in one place but i just don't have the cash to purchase one yet. but soon

Chad
10-31-2007, 11:56
I have an Oceanic Atom 2 and a brass and glass spg as a backup. Haven't had any problems with the Oceanic. It is also good for freediving.

NitroWill
10-31-2007, 11:57
I use a Wisdom AI and love it..
For redundancy and occasional accuracy check I have a brass and glass bungied or clipped away

WTF Over
10-31-2007, 12:21
I have a VT3 and love it but I wanted a SPG to use as a backup so I really didn't get one less hose. However I can route the SPG hose to a pocket and get a more streamlined config since it is only needed if I lose link and need to know my PSI. (I say "if" because so far my link has been solid every time and I've never dropped my link once established)

Texas_Aggie06
10-31-2007, 12:50

what exactly is the reason for your reply? you don't have to read this thread. plus, i posted it over here rather than on scubaboard just to avoid responses like yours.

to everyone else, thanks for the helpful information.

auvie
10-31-2007, 17:05
I have a Suunto D9 with hoseless air integration and I love it. It is great to have such a wonderful little bundle of sensors on your wrist, displaying all the information you need...

Puffer Fish
10-31-2007, 17:47

what exactly is the reason for your reply? you don't have to read this thread. plus, i posted it over here rather than on scubaboard just to avoid responses like yours.

to everyone else, thanks for the helpful information.

One of the reasons that people ask the same question, is because they would like the chance to have their specific issues addressed... if one in not allowed to ask the same question, then it would not take long before there would be no reason to post. Please don't take one person's view as that of others (thankfully, you don't seem to be)

Puffer Fish
10-31-2007, 17:48
I have a Suunto D9 with hoseless air integration and I love it. It is great to have such a wonderful little bundle of sensors on your wrist, displaying all the information you need...

Not a fan of Suunto's calculations, but I do like the features of the D9.. nice to hear you like it.

Charlotte Smith
10-31-2007, 18:36
I have one and love it. Wireless. No problems with losing signal. One less hose. Probably should have some sort of backup but I don't.
My reply would be identical to yours.....

CompuDude
10-31-2007, 18:41
I have WAI and love it. I have an analog SPG clipped off as a backup should link ever fail.

Link fails every few dives, but only for a second or two. No actual problems, ever.

I ignore the remaining bottom time feature, or at a minimum, mentally compensate for variables I know it can't account for.

I download my computer after every few dives (into my treo cell phone) and input variable info such as buddy, site name, and vis. The computer logs the precise start and end times, actual gas consumption, etc. Very handy.

Essential? Not at all. Handy? Absolutely.

I have a backup computer, but I don't currently dive with it every dive, since it's a wildly different algorithm.

imfreeagle
10-31-2007, 22:37
I use Suunto cobra and love it. Have used tha aeris Ai as well. I use a dive watch as back up so if computer goes I have an idea of were I'm at and end the dive.

auvie
11-01-2007, 07:23

Not a fan of Suunto's calculations, but I do like the features of the D9.. nice to hear you like it.

Hi Puffer Fish, I'm fairly new to diving, but even newer to dive computers, would you mind explaining why you don't like Suunto's calculations?

Zenagirl
11-01-2007, 07:54
Suunto's are pretty conservative computers and some of us don't like that.

nathan
11-01-2007, 11:55

Hi Puffer Fish, I'm fairly new to diving, but even newer to dive computers, would you mind explaining why you don't like Suunto's calculations?

I don't have any personal experience with Suunto's specifically but what i've read in numerious places is their calcuations are extremely conservative. What I mean by that is you can have two divers side-by-side with idenitcal profiles as buddies on an aquacat type live-aboard, doing multiple dives in a row and by the time you get ready for doing the last dive the suunto says "No more for you!" while everyone else with a non-suunto can proceed with the last dive of the day. I can't provide you with any academic data, and how much of this is rumor and perception and even how big of a difference there is. But i read somewhere one of the dive magazins or something did a comparison on computers and even with their "semi-scientific" comparisions they came back with the fact that suuntos appeared to be more conservative on the dive tables then others.

CompuDude
11-01-2007, 12:27
For one dive there won't be much, if any, difference, between two computers. For two dives, the Suunto will give you a tad less BT... but nothing to really worry about.

For three+ dives, or on multi-day trips on liveaboards, Suunto's really severely penalize your BT and your dives will be a LOT shorter than everyone else's.

I got into the sport so I could be underwater, not sitting on the boat wishing I was underwater with everyone else. It would be one thing if Suunto could say "Our safety record is better than everyone else's." Then I would consider it. But the fact is, their safety record is NOT better than everyone else's (you'd hear it shouted from the mountaintops if that were true!). So why make your dives shorter, when simply selecting a different computer keeps you just as safe... and let's you dive longer?

wxboy911
11-01-2007, 15:14
I plan on going AI in the future-probably not as soon as I would like but I have been keeping an eye on the prices.

kyfriedchipper
11-01-2007, 15:34
Does anyone prefer the wrist watch computers v. the larger ones only worn while diving? Pros / Cons / Experiences?

CompuDude
11-01-2007, 15:38
Does anyone prefer the wrist watch computers v. the larger ones only worn while diving? Pros / Cons / Experiences?

Smaller screen = tougher to see, especially if you need reading glasses. Less info displayed at one time means more button pushing to get to the extra info.

Other than that, though, there is little difference.

Puffer Fish
11-01-2007, 18:29
For one dive there won't be much, if any, difference, between two computers. For two dives, the Suunto will give you a tad less BT... but nothing to really worry about.

For three+ dives, or on multi-day trips on liveaboards, Suunto's really severely penalize your BT and your dives will be a LOT shorter than everyone else's.

I got into the sport so I could be underwater, not sitting on the boat wishing I was underwater with everyone else. It would be one thing if Suunto could say "Our safety record is better than everyone else's." Then I would consider it. But the fact is, their safety record is NOT better than everyone else's (you'd hear it shouted from the mountaintops if that were true!). So why make your dives shorter, when simply selecting a different computer keeps you just as safe... and let's you dive longer?

Thank you for answering that.. I missed the request.

One more thing, they do a maximum depth over a fixed time calculation...I think the time varies with the model (not sure on that). Will try to explain this, but if I mess up... sorry.

One way to do the calculation, is to sample the depth at say 10 seconds increments.. whatever it is.. you use that and add up the time. Another way, is to capture the deepest depth, within some longer time, say 60 seconds, and use that for the calculation. Aries, Oceanic...etc use the first method... Suunto the later.

If you are at a fixed depth, there is no difference, if you are changing, then it can make a big difference as you add things up, depending on how much small changes you make.

If you want to see this... just make a dive where you get down to single minutes left till deco and slowly come up and watch two computers at the same time. My oceanic will change times very quickly...the Suunto did not.

Puffer Fish
11-01-2007, 18:30
That difference goes for my aries and my scubapro computers...

Puffer Fish
11-01-2007, 18:34

I don't have any personal experience with Suunto's specifically but what i've read in numerious places is their calcuations are extremely conservative. What I mean by that is you can have two divers side-by-side with idenitcal profiles as buddies on an aquacat type live-aboard, doing multiple dives in a row and by the time you get ready for doing the last dive the suunto says "No more for you!" while everyone else with a non-suunto can proceed with the last dive of the day. I can't provide you with any academic data, and how much of this is rumor and perception and even how big of a difference there is. But i read somewhere one of the dive magazins or something did a comparison on computers and even with their "semi-scientific" comparisions they came back with the fact that suuntos appeared to be more conservative on the dive tables then others.

I can tell you first hand how bad that can be... I have seen it be, by the third dive, as much as 20 minutes of bottom time different. If you dive a lot, it is best to have everyone on similar computers...or at least close.

Travelnsj
11-01-2007, 21:32
I have a D9 and a Cobra....like the AI feature...except that damn D9....sometimes it does not pair!....You get suited up pair it...a delay of divers jumping off in front of you.....by the time you jump in it needs to be paired again!....which you see at about 20'.

The Deco on Suunto sucks....I have thought of changing the RGM...but it is for your safety...and I do Nitrox when available...so it becomes a moot point.....I'll live with it....if I had to purchase again....I would shop more and compare.

auvie
11-02-2007, 11:21
Thanks for all your responses regarding the Suunto conservativeness. Hopefully it won't hold back my diving too much!