PDA

View Full Version : Got C - Card - but...

porsche060
10-30-2007, 22:42
Got my C-card in the mail today. Only issue is I used the NAUI books and was told it would be a NAUI card. In the mail was a YSCUBA card.

I paid extra money for it to be NAUI. Could of easily took a cheaper 3 day PADI course(but not learned the skills I did). My instructor taught me alot and cared about my learning and loving scuba. It may be marketing but wondering if anyone else experienced the same?

pnevai
10-31-2007, 00:12
Whoa what? Huh? WTF? Ok what was the name of the dive center, who is the instructor? This sounds like a bait and switch scam? Was the course advertised as NAUI. More info please. Something definitely does not sound right. As far as I know only the YMCA can teach that class. Or did you take the class at the Y? In that case they may use NAUI training material, and so long as you got quality training then the Y card is as good as any.

Puffer Fish
10-31-2007, 05:25
This is a first for me... and I don't see how that could happen..something is very wrong.

RoadRacer1978
10-31-2007, 06:14
Sounds like they may mave pulled what my LDS did so many years ago. Except my LDS was upfront about the whole thing. I was trained using PADI materials and PADI guidelines. Once the class was over we were issued ISEA c-cards. The reason for this was tha PADI charged so much more for processing the c-card that the LDS could give us PADI training cheaper if ISEA issued the card. If we wanted a PADI card it we could have gotten one for an extra $30 I think. Souds like what could have happened, but nobody told you up front that is what they were doing, and reguardless of their reasons, hiding that from you was not right.

porsche060
10-31-2007, 06:55
It was at a Y for 90% of the sessions.

I made clear at beginning that I wanted NAUI card since another local place was giving SSI instead of NAUI (never mentioned YMCA card). Even showed me when I signed up what the NAUI card would look like!

couped243
10-31-2007, 07:04
That doesn't sound right and it wasn't what you were expecting or wanted. I would go back and ask the instructor what the deal was and if you don't get the results you want then call NAUI and make a complaint.

fireflock
10-31-2007, 07:11
Give the instructor a call and ask him/her why they choose YMCA. If you still want a NAUI card after listening to the reasons, I think they should get you one.

FWIW, my understanding is that YMCA standards are, if anything, higher than the standards from other agencies.

I wouldn't worry about it. A Y card is not inferior in any way. If anything, the Y card means you likely had some pretty good training.

Rich

Zenagirl
10-31-2007, 08:16
I paid extra money for it to be NAUI. Could of easily took a cheaper 3 day PADI course(but not learned the skills I did). My instructor taught me alot and cared about my learning and loving scuba. It may be marketing but wondering if anyone else experienced the same?

What do you base that you "wouldn't have learned the skills" on? Frankly, if it were the same instructor, you would have learned the same skills whether it was Naui, Padi, SSI, YMCA, or whatever.

Heck, I'm Padi certified and my instructor held both Naui and Padi instructor cards, but the shop was Padi. He didn't change anything about his class because we were being issued Padi cards instead of Naui.

I wish we could get off of this idea that it's about the agency. It's NOT about the agency, it's about the instructor. An excellent instructor with any agency is an excellent instructor and doesn't change their teaching based on which agency they are certifiying you for. Who cares what agency your c-card was issued through in the end?? What matters is the quality of your instructor and instruction.

Just my opinion.

cgvmer
10-31-2007, 08:28
If it hasn't been said before....Congratulations on being a certified diver....the cert agency is not as important as the instructor..

Work out the agency issue but don't let it stop you from getting wet.

BSea
10-31-2007, 10:00
The only thing I would worry about is how the card is accepted outside the US. I think I'd go back to the instructor & insist on the NAUI card. Now I'm no expert on the differant agencies, but I would want a certification that is accepted anyplace in the world, or at least as many places as is reasonable. Maybe the YSCUBA card is, but I'm not sure. I know NAUI is.

kenmendes
10-31-2007, 11:35
I would get in touch with the instructor and tell him that you were expecting a NAUI card and that is what they advertised and if you had to pay extra for the NAUI card and didn't get it well that is just wrong

RECDiver
10-31-2007, 16:06
Talk to the instructor. If that doesn't help, call NAUI HQ.

Puffer Fish
10-31-2007, 16:11
Talk to the instructor. If that doesn't help, call NAUI HQ.
I would call either way.. they need to know...

RonFrank
10-31-2007, 16:35
First, congratulations!

Second. Unless you progress past Rescue, what cert card you have does NOT matter. Once you decide to go pro, than picking an agency becomes a lot more important.

Third, why are you asking us! :smiley36:

If you want to change this, or fix this, or anything your FIRST step needs to be to talk to the LDS or instructor. From there, you may want some additional advice depending on the outcome, and what you want.

We can speculate all day long about the whys, but Bottom Line, you need to talk to your instructor.

comet24
10-31-2007, 16:40
Talk to the instructor and shop about this. Wondering if the instructor status might not be current with NAUI but that's just a guess. You need to talk to them.

liuk3
11-01-2007, 10:20
I wouldn't worry about the card. It sounds like you were happy with your training. Also, once you get your advanced OW certification, you won't need the basic OW card anyway.

CompuDude
11-01-2007, 12:21
Honestly? Give it a little more time, then call the instructor. If you paid extra for a NAUI cert, my guess is you're going to get both the YMCA cert AND the NAUI cert. The YMCA card just showed up first.

So I wouldn't worry. Yet. Give it another week or two, and then call to see what's up.

porsche060
11-01-2007, 18:53
Basically what the person said is that I needed extra work (which I did as I joined late) and the person who did the extra work was a YMCA certified scuba instructor. Hence I got certified under him instead of via NAUI. To be fair the guy who was the YMCA instructor was much better than the NAUI certified instructor. He made sure we did every skill perfectly. He was a great instructor. The other guy was lax(not showing up how to clear our mask,air signs etc), hence my slow start.

I'm still a little upset. When I signed up they showed me a NAUI card that I would get at the end of the course. I was planning to go on one of their trips but not sure now. I will take someone suggestion and go for NAUI advanced. Someone on this recommended a NAUI instructor a little bit out but near me. I want to go for Naui Advanced anyway, but after shelling out so much ($600) for training & dives I did expect to get the card I wanted. As I said, I had cheaper options if I wasn't going to go NAUI.

finflippers
11-01-2007, 20:01
Since you worked with the NAUI instructor and did end up passing all of your skills, the NAUI instructor might be able to submit for your NAUI card (not sure).

At this point the important thing is that you did end up getting the instruction that you needed to become a qualified diver and from the sounds of it you got better quality instruction from the YMCA instructor. If you are planning to go pro with NAUI holding a YMCA cert will not hurt you. Right now I hold different certs from three different agencies they are all interchangeable on going froward with my training. Once I hit divemaster I will probably have to stick with one but before that it really don't matter that much.

And congrats!! on your Open Water

pnevai
11-01-2007, 21:00
If you feel in any way that you got inferior training from that NAUI instructor I strongly urge you to call NAUI HQ and file a complaint. NAUI has little tolerence for Instructors that do not take thier job seriously.

CompuDude
11-02-2007, 04:08
Basically what the person said is that I needed extra work (which I did as I joined late) and the person who did the extra work was a YMCA certified scuba instructor. Hence I got certified under him instead of via NAUI. To be fair the guy who was the YMCA instructor was much better than the NAUI certified instructor. He made sure we did every skill perfectly. He was a great instructor. The other guy was lax(not showing up how to clear our mask,air signs etc), hence my slow start.

I'm still a little upset. When I signed up they showed me a NAUI card that I would get at the end of the course. I was planning to go on one of their trips but not sure now. I will take someone suggestion and go for NAUI advanced. Someone on this recommended a NAUI instructor a little bit out but near me. I want to go for Naui Advanced anyway, but after shelling out so much ($600) for training & dives I did expect to get the card I wanted. As I said, I had cheaper options if I wasn't going to go NAUI.

YMCA has more thorough instruction. So you came out ahead. The one thing I would do is request a refund for the extra fees you paid towards the NAUI cert, which clearly you did not get.

If you really want a card that says "NAUI" on it, next go get your NAUI advanced cert. It's a good idea anyway... and with your superior YMCA training, it will be much easier for you than many other OW card holders. Consider those OW fees well spent, any way.

It's not the agency, it's the instruction. You got the instruction, so don't sweat it (except as recommended above).