PDA

View Full Version : Number of HP & LP ports on a First Stage

robjoubert
10-30-2007, 23:25
Can someone please enlighten me (a newbie) as to why a diver would need more than one HP port on a first stage? I can understand that you need multiple LP ports (for the second stage, octo and BC inflater) but as far as I understand it, all that connects to a HP port is the SPG.

Capt Hook
10-30-2007, 23:31
AI computer

BSea
10-30-2007, 23:40
Can someone please enlighten me (a newbie) as to why a diver would need more than one HP port on a first stage? I can understand that you need multiple LP ports (for the second stage, octo and BC inflater) but as far as I understand it, all that connects to a HP port is the SPG.

Thanks :smiley23:Depending on the reg, some people put the 1st stage pointing up, and some people point it down. then you can put the SPG on the left either way. Look at the Zeagle Envoy (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=ZeagleEnvoy) 1st stage for the type that can go either direction. I hope that's clear enough without pictures.

Puffer Fish
10-31-2007, 05:14

Thanks :smiley23:Depending on the reg, some people put the 1st stage pointing up, and some people point it down. then you can put the SPG on the left either way. Look at the Zeagle Envoy (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=ZeagleEnvoy) 1st stage for the type that can go either direction. I hope that's clear enough without pictures.

I use both... spg and wireless transmitter... and my second reg also has both used, as I have two wireless transmitters (both can be used at the same time on my system, if needed.

RoadRacer1978
10-31-2007, 06:16
Theres your best reason. Redundancy. So you can have an air integrated computer and a backup SPG all at the same time.

BSea
10-31-2007, 07:39
Theres your best reason. Redundancy. So you can have an air integrated computer and a backup SPG all at the same time. While they are indeed used for both a transmiter & spg (in fact I do this also), there have been multiple hp ports on regulators long before wireless transmitters have been around. Many people like having the barrel part of their 1st stae pointing down so it doesn't hit the back of their head. But some tank/valve configurations require it to point up beccause of clearance issues.