PDA

View Full Version : Panama City in Jan 08

johnod
10-31-2007, 12:45
Hi all,

I'll be going to Panama City Fl the week of Martin Luther King Jr. Day (21-25 Jan 08) and i'm looking for some people that would want to dive, weather permiting. I spoke with the dive locker and they said that they would go with a min of 3 people.

Dive-aholic
11-01-2007, 21:58
I'm not sure I'll be up for any boat dives then, but if you're interested in some shore dives, let me know.

moosicman
11-01-2007, 22:10
I will be certed then....keep my contact or make me a buddy/friend....which ever ST forum has here and i may be interested:)

FishFood
11-01-2007, 22:26
Word to the wise, when you come down south, remember, you're off for Robert E Lee day ;)

Dive locker is GREAT. The 3 person min is nice. Plus, if there's a larger group you get to go on their new boat. Very nice. Have fun!

johnod
11-02-2007, 06:16
I'll be up for any kind of dive. shore dives would be fine with me.

Puffer Fish
11-02-2007, 06:48
Hi all,

I'll be going to Panama City Fl the week of Martin Luther King Jr. Day (21-25) and i'm looking for some people that would want to dive, weather permiting. I spoke with the dive locker and they said that they would go with a min of 3 people.
That is a ways out... but put me on the list...

johnod
11-02-2007, 07:02
Hey Puffer Fish would you be up for boat dives or shore dives? Or maybe a little of both? I'll be in Panama city for a week and would like to get at least 2 days of dives in.

Puffer Fish
11-02-2007, 07:49
Hey Puffer Fish would you be up for boat dives or shore dives? Or maybe a little of both? I'll be in Panama city for a week and would like to get at least 2 days of dives in.
I am up for either... and I have five tanks..so if someone needs tanks, i have them. Need to check tide tables.. am up for a night dive is the tides are right. Don't forget about a possible spring dive.. if Morrison is open and it has not been raining much...

johnod
11-02-2007, 09:31
Are you from Florida? always nice to find a local who knows where to go. i would be stuck with a charter and where they would take me.

johnod
12-10-2007, 08:12
Hey folks, Jan is coming up and i'm starting to firm dates for the trip, it looks like it might be the week before martin luther king jr day. 14-18. i'll stay in touch.

ReefHound
12-10-2007, 08:35
If you're going to shore dive you want to check the tides and do it at high tide. The earlier week will be much better for you as high tide is late afternoon, 3pm-5pm ish.

The following weekend they are more around 9pm so would be a night dive.
You could dive on the low tides which would be early morning but viz isn't as good.

bobcatdiver
12-11-2007, 08:32
Any idea on what type of dives you may be doing?

johnod
12-15-2007, 13:06
not sure. what ever the weather and tides allow. i was just looking for a group to dive with.

johnod
12-28-2007, 08:21
All right everyone. the dates are finally set. I will be in Panama City from the 19th of Jan to the 23. Thats a friday to a wednesday. I would like to dive either morrison or vortex one day and either a boat or shore dive one other day. Post here or PM me if your interisted and we will decide how to meet up. Cheers!

johnod
01-14-2008, 07:44
For anyone interisted! We will meet at Vortex on Saturday the 19th at 9:30 am. My Cell is (937)329-1491. John.

moosicman
01-14-2008, 09:42
I'll be there! Hope it will be a little warmer than predicted.:) For those going and you need or want my number, I will submit it in a private message.

mwhities
01-14-2008, 10:09
I'll be there in April. I can't wait. Hopefully a few boat dives and either Vortex or Morrisons for a few "rinse off" dives.

moosicman
01-14-2008, 11:17
Let me know in April. I would love to come and dive with ya!

mike_s
01-14-2008, 11:21
News Flash folks.... Morrison is closed as of the first of the year due to construction at the site. It will be open some, but not guarentees. FYI

mwhities
01-14-2008, 11:33
News Flash folks.... Morrison is closed as of the first of the year due to construction at the site. It will be open some, but not guarentees. FYI

Yeah yeah yeah.. that's why I included Vortex, just incase it's still closed. :P

mwhities
01-14-2008, 11:34

Do you need your AOW? :) I'll be down there for that. Not sure how much free time I'll have to dive.

Navy OnStar
01-14-2008, 11:38

Not sure if you can get around the parking lot construction to dive or if they started building the obsevation deck. Sounds like it's going to get a lot busier which is not good for us!

Morrison Springs (http://pcbdownunder.com/springs/morrison.htm)

This is cut and paste from the link above:

Walton County has received a $500,000 grant from the Northwest Florida Water Management District to make improvements at Morrison Springs located off State Road 81 in eastern Walton County.
The grant is intended to improve water quality and protect valuable natural resources.
Morrison Springs, a cold-water spring that feeds into the Choctawhatchee River, has long been a popular area for swimming and scuba diving. Because of the natural caves at the bottom of the spring and the clarity of the water, Morrison Springs has been a destination for divers from all over the country. It is also used as an access to the river for boaters and fishermen.
We have worked very hard to get the necessary funding, so I am very excited to get this project underway," said Dist. 1 Commissioner Scott Brannon. "This project has truly been a team effort and many people have been instrumental in moving forward with these improvements. This project will allow us to showcase the natural beauty of Walton County's best kept secret."
Area improvements include:
A concrete boat ramp
Parking area for boat trailers and other vehicles
Road improvements to boat ramp and site main entrance
Parking areas paved
Spring upgraded for swimming and diving
The project includes a raised, timber boardwalk to the spring. The boardwalk will begin at the parking area and go to the swim area, around the wetlands adjacent to the spring and to an observation deck over the boiling spring.
Walton County also received a $300,000 Florida Boating Improvement Program grant from Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission to help build a concrete boat launch directly into the Choctawhatchee River.
The county has plans to pursue other funding through the Springs Initiative, Florida Recreation Development Assistance Program, and the Land and Water Conservation Fund.
Future improvements include: Educational pavilion, Restrooms and showers, Playground, and Nature trails.

moosicman
01-14-2008, 12:29

Do you need your AOW? :) I'll be down there for that. Not sure how much free time I'll have to dive.

Well, I want to get quite a few more dives in before I do my AOW, plus I really like and respect the instructor I had for my OW and will want to stick with him. But anytime you are in the area let me know. I will always be looking to dive.

johnod
01-15-2008, 21:37
Hey all. I'm still coming to Panama City but I have messed up my Achilles tendon by to much training. I can hardly walk right now. hopefully it will better by Saturday but we'll see.

--UPDATE--

I'm feeling much better and look forward to seeing everyone there at 9:00 or so...