PDA

View Full Version : Solomon Islands - Anyone tried the Bilikiki?

bversteegh
11-01-2007, 01:27
Considering a trip to the Solomon Islands on the Bilikiki liveaboard. Anyone on the board been to the Solomons, or on the Bilikiki?

beenerachi
11-04-2007, 14:34
Awesome diving! I've only been to Tulagi (an hours boat from Honiara)but there are tons of wrecks from the battle of Guadalcanal. I was there for the this year's Guadalcanal ceremonies so it was quite special when each wreck had a story along with actual war veterans talking about their experiences.

Don't expect any modern conveniences. SI is much safer than PNG but it's still Melanesia and can erupt suddenly, so be sure to have travel insurance, etc.

I did my dive w/ Neil Yates at Tulagi Dive. He's a really cool dude and will tell you all sorts of stories of wreck diving. There is the AARON WARD which is at 70 meters that you dive on air...yes, on air, because there is no mix-gas facilities. I didn't do it since my max is 43m and I want to take deep diving and also experience a bit of getting narc'd before hitting the WARD.

SI is definitely an adventure and it's absolutely stunning. Have fun!
:smiley20:

Travelnsj
11-04-2007, 20:18
I have looked ar Uepi Resort...I have met a couple of people who had been there and Palau....they said not much of a comparison....but they still liked it...a liveaboard would probably the way to go.

bversteegh
11-04-2007, 21:58
I have looked ar Uepi Resort...I have met a couple of people who had been there and Palau....they said not much of a comparison....but they still liked it...a liveaboard would probably the way to go.

When you say no compare, you mean Palau was much better?

Travelnsj
11-04-2007, 22:06

When you say no compare, you mean Palau was much better?

Yes.... I use Palau as the Platinum standard to judge other sites around the world.....I have found places better just for pelagic's and places better just for small stuff.....but Palau has a bit of it all and a lot of Action.

pickled
12-30-2007, 06:02
I spent a week on the Spirit of Solomon last May and preferred it over Palau. The diving was excellent, water temp in the low 80's, vis was good, lots of variety although not a lot of big stuff. Excellent corals. The boat and crew were great. They let you dive your own profile, 5 dives a day, food was good. I would go back in a minute. also spent a week in Palau on a boat a couple of years ago. God diving as well, but preferred the Solomons.