PDA

View Full Version : scuba.com "BOO!" scubatoys "YIPPEE!!!"

skdvr
07-19-2007, 12:09
OK, I am going to try to tell this little story about scuba.com and why they SUCK and what scubatoys did that makes them ROCK!

My wife bought me a Mares Nemo for Christmas from scuba.com, I like the computer but noticed that the battery was already half gone, and later found out that the comptuer was made in 2003. She bought the computer for Christmas of 06'. Well I was frustrated about that but I talked with one of the Mares reps and they said that there was no software changes to the SS Nemo since then. Well anyway my batt was starting to get low so I checked with my LDS to see about a battery change and they said that they could do it so I was waiting the battery out to get the most for my money. Well the batt went dead so I took it in to my LDS and then they told me that they cannot change the battery in the nemo. When I talked to him a month or so before he thought it was a Mares console computer. He tell me that I have to send it to a authorized repair facility that will do a pressure test on it after the battery is replaced. So I am frustrated but not mad. We tried to find a number to contact Mares but there is not one listed on their website, so my wife calls scuba.com to find out if they can do the battery change or if they would have to send it to Mares. The guy that she talks to tells her that he is not sure and that he would go and check. He gets back on the phone and tells her that "Yes, we do the battery changes in house." This was on a Mon and we were leaving for vacation to my dads lake house in Table Rock, Mo the following Sun. So she asked if they could turn it around quickly and mail it to us there. They said "Yes". So we spent $32.00 to 2 day it to Scuba.com. Two days after they recieved it I called to make sure eveything was OK, and they told me that they cannot do the battery changes there and that they would have to send it to Mares. I told the guy what we were told and he basically said that whom ever told us that they did the batt change there was wrong and sorry... Well then I called back to talk to someone about how unhappy I was with what happened and got someone in Customer Service and I told her the story and asked what they could do to help out and she told me "Nothing" and in a snotty voice so I explained how much of my buisness that they have had in the last year and that I cannot believe that they would not do a little more than nothing, and she said "It is not our problem". At that point I got mad and hung up.

Well I posted all this same stuff on scubaboard and Joe read it and PM's me to tell me that scubatoys would send me one of their rental Nemo's at no charge. I could not believe it. I got it at my lake house on Mon, and got to use it all week. They had no reason to need to do it, but they did.

Then to continue the scuba.com stuff I called yesterday 7-18-07 to check on the status of my Nemo and after a very long conversation with the returns rep I found out that my computer did not even ship out to Mares until 7-17-07, and they recieved it from me on 7-5-07, and I paid $32.00 to get it to them that fast.

Sparks flew again, and this guy told me the same thing that there is nothign that he can do to help me out with the shipping cost or replacing the battery.

The only way I will ever talk about scuba.com again to anyone is with a negative tone....

Joe and Larry, you guys are GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Have a good one...
Phil

jacewindu
07-19-2007, 12:30
that's too bad, but i'm not surprised that ST was able to step in and save your trip.

all my experiences with ST have been extremely good and I strongly hesitate doing business anywhere else. sorry that you had to learn the hard way, but it sounds like you know where to go now :)

ScubaToys Larry
07-19-2007, 12:47
Hey skydvr,

How come I saw you had the computer we sent you posted up on ebay?!
Just kiddin'

Glad you had a good trip!

skdvr
07-19-2007, 13:09
that's too bad, but i'm not surprised that ST was able to step in and save your trip.

all my experiences with ST have been extremely good and I strongly hesitate doing business anywhere else. sorry that you had to learn the hard way, but it sounds like you know where to go now :)

I will definately be sticking with scubatoys. I actually liked that otterbox that they sent the Nemo in so that may have to be my first purchase from them, with a lot more to follow (much to my wifes dismay)

Phil

linalou
07-19-2007, 13:55
I had a bad experience with leisurepro, that i would like to share with yall who are reading this thread. I wont get into all of the details, but in my search for booties that fit and dont give me foot cramps, i was excited to learn about what they tout as thier pressure free fit policy...if it doesnt fit, they dont charge for size exchanges. so i ordered some fancy booties based on their size recommendation, and when i got them, my feet were lost inside (WAY too big!!), so I called for the size exchange...which they flat out refused to honor since they were out of stock of the size i needed...so what, because they suck in two ways, I have to pay? needless to say, now I have spent too much money, and still dont have booties i likesmileys/smiley19.gif i just hope to help people in future for falling for the same scam... hey scubatoys! why dont you stock booties i like? hmm? (locked zipper, mid-support sole, fin notchsmileys/smiley2.gif)?

linalou
07-19-2007, 13:57
oh yeah, and booties i like should have small enough soles to fit into my tusa liberator fins!smileys/smiley1.gif

ScubaToys Larry
07-19-2007, 17:54
Give me a make and model number and I'll see what I can come up with.

cummings66
07-19-2007, 17:58
See, this is like a dream, who in their right mind runs a business like this. Customers coming first and all, I mean it's insane. However, it is one reason I buy stuff from them.

I like how I get treated, and wish they were next door to me. Well, not really. I'd be broke forever if that was the case.

linalou
07-19-2007, 18:09
i am not sure if what i want even exists, maybe you know. i want something with a seasoft inside, o'neill firewall oustide, and a zipper flap. is there something that is close? thanks for the quick response, you guys are awesome!!

torrey
08-03-2007, 09:38
See, this is like a dream, who in their right mind runs a business like this. Customers coming first and all, I mean it's insane. However, it is one reason I buy stuff from them.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>I like how I get treated, and wish they were next door to me. Well, not really. I'd be broke forever if that was the case.</DIV>

The company I work for recently started a book club for those who want to participate. There's only a handful of us that actually do it, but it has been really enlightening. We just finished our second book, called "Good To Great" which details what makes a good company break through past the competition into a great company. I highly recommend it to anybody in the business world.

Anyway, the primary focus is on a principle based on 3 interlocking concepts:

1. What can you be the best at
2. What are you deeply passionate about
3. What drives your economic engine

In a world of mediocre scuba stores which tend to go bust easily, somewhere along the way Larry and Joe managed to bring these 3 concepts together. I believe most scuba store owners are just trying to make a living and hopefully get to dive at the same time. Everybody knows this isn't a high profit business. I think they become satisfied with being "good". We've already more-or-less covered the 2nd concept...we're all passionate about scuba or we wouldn't be here.

I'm not sure if Larry or Joe realized they could be the best, but their customer focus brings people back every time. I'm willing to bet they didn't send you a computer to win your business...they saw somebody else passionate about scuba in a tight situation. If your focus is on your core values and not profit, then profit will naturally follow.

The customer-focus naturally brings in more customers, which in turn allows ScubaToys to cut down costs and prices, which in turn brings in more customers and the cycle continues until a happy medium is found.

These guys are the epitome of running a great company - pick something you are passionate about, can be the best at, and know what it takes to make sustained results.

Osprey
08-03-2007, 09:45
Man, you want to talk about quality customer service and care, ST is the way to go!! Just can't be beat :)

ScubaToys Larry
08-03-2007, 10:11
Thanks guys.... My Dad always told me, "make a customer, not a sale. If you have enough customers, you'll get sales."

Of course he also told me, "If you can tell the difference between good scotch and bad scotch... you're probably drinking too much scotch!"

Smart man that Dad of mine! :smiley2:

Harshal
08-03-2007, 10:23
Yep I have to vote yay for that, ST is awesome, I was buying all my gear BC, REG and Comp, my other gear I had bought earlier from ST and as usual they throw in this reg bag and my gf was like I want one those bags too and they throw one extra for her too at no charge….. they are awesome.

Fortunately I live in Dallas, so I never had to shop with any other online retailer.

thor
08-03-2007, 11:03
I had a bad experience with leisurepro, that i would like to share with yall who are reading this thread. I wont get into all of the details, but in my search for booties that fit and dont give me foot cramps, i was excited to learn about what they tout as thier pressure free fit policy...if it doesnt fit, they dont charge for size exchanges. so i ordered some fancy booties based on their size recommendation, and when i got them, my feet were lost inside (WAY too big!!), so I called for the size exchange...which they flat out refused to honor since they were out of stock of the size i needed...so what, because they suck in two ways, I have to pay? needless to say, now I have spent too much money, and still dont have booties i likesmileys/smiley19.gif i just hope to help people in future for falling for the same scam... hey scubatoys! why dont you stock booties i like? hmm? (locked zipper, mid-support sole, fin notchsmileys/smiley2.gif)?

Was this recently? LP seems to have a different and better return policy now. I have never had a problem with them and have exchanged things before without any problems, but I am usually there in person in NYC.
Sorry Scubatoys dudes, but I have to speak the truth.

ScubaToys Larry
08-03-2007, 11:19
Was this recently? LP seems to have a different and better return policy now. I have never had a problem with them and have exchanged things before without any problems, but I am usually there in person in NYC.
Sorry Scubatoys dudes, but I have to speak the truth.

No problem... I realize there will be other shops than us. We are in a tough spot many times since we are an authorized dealer, we have lot's of rules we have to play by (and bend!). For example, we have pricing we have to show on our page - while is someone is not an authorized dealer, they can put any price they want. Now if someone calls us, we can match that price - but to assure our customers get a manufacturers warranty - we must play that game.

So I feel that if people knew that we could offer the best price - and if they know much about our company, they will find out we will always try to extend the best possible customer service to our customers - we will get that customer.

We have gotten a lot of customers that "click and buy" somewhere else because a price showed up 50 bucks cheaper, only to find out later that the product was gray market and they could not send the product to the manufacturer for repair or replacement - and we could have matched or beat the price.

The whole MAP policy rules make it hard to compete in some instances if you are a legitimate business, and the supreme court just upheld the right for companies to use Map policies - so it looks like we'll have to depend on customer word of mouth and phone calls to make the best deals for our customers.

It's just the way it has to roll!

(Oh, and if you're in NY buying from Texas.... No sales tax!)

thor
08-03-2007, 11:24
And that is exactly why I just bought a new dive light from Scubatoys. Plus you guys are nice.

reservecops
08-03-2007, 12:41
The whole MAP policy rules make it hard to compete in some instances if you are a legitimate business, and the supreme court just upheld the right for companies to use Map policies - so it looks like we'll have to depend on customer word of mouth and phone calls to make the best deals for our customers.Larry, all I have to say is:

If you and and Joe continue to provide the BEST customer service and the GREAT prices for your products that you always have, I highly doubt that you'll have ANY problem whatsoever earning new customers and retaining repeat customers based on 'word of mouth'.

I can honestly say that I perform 10 times the due diligence that most people do, and I can guarantee you that it will take something just short of a miracle (on someone else's part) to convince me (and my father) to shop anywhere else for our SCUBA gear.

In a word, you guys ROCK. Keep up the great work - sales, service, and online discussion forums!

creggur
08-03-2007, 13:55
Almost feel cheasy because I'm turning into such a ST groupie, but I've bought full gear for my wife and I in the last two months from ST. I was lucky enough to find them before my first gear purchase. I figure they have saved me around a grand on everything we've bought. They have always been pleasant pro's on the phone, answered newbie questions without hesitation, and without making me feel stupid for asking.

They have price matched when I asked without problem, gave me a great deal upfront on major purchases, and I will be using them for all of my reg's services as well.. It's actually easier for me to UPS the stuff to them than to take the time to drive to the LDS and deal with their service departments.....Win, Win, Win...

St.jimmy
01-06-2008, 16:59
wow. that story makes no sense, but is awesome in so many ways. st seems to be almost as awesome as my LDS, but that's only cause they heped me out when my dad had a heart attack, (he's ok now). sorry st, just cant beat that.

on an unrelated note, my regulator is out of warranty and...:smiley2:

EDIT: be sure to file a complaint with the bbb, scuba.com somehow got an accredited rating.

BuzzF117
01-06-2008, 17:04
Thanks guys.... My Dad always told me, "make a customer, not a sale. If you have enough customers, you'll get sales."

Of course he also told me, "If you can tell the difference between good scotch and bad scotch... you're probably drinking too much scotch!"

Smart man that Dad of mine! :smiley2:

So what type of scotch do you drink?

charlesml3
01-07-2008, 10:05
And that is exactly why I just bought a new dive light from Scubatoys. Plus you guys are nice.

Me too. There are very, very few businesses that I recommend without reservation to my friends. Scubatoys is on that list.

-Charles

cogrwy
05-01-2008, 07:52
I have only done business one time each with LeisurePro and Scuba.com, and in fairness, I have to say I was satisfied with both transactions. They did not, however, involve anything that would require future service. In fact, the only reason I dealt with LeisurePro at all was that my Sister-in-Law sent me a gift card for Christmas (she didn't know any better. She does now). Having said that, now that I've found Scuba Toys, who needs the other guys?

Penguino
05-01-2008, 10:52
My dive instructor actually warned me against going to Scuba Toys in favor of another LDS in the Dallas area because of the "superior" customer service at the other LDS. So I took his advice and bought my mask, fins, snorkel, booties for both me and my wife before class started and were honestly satisfied. On a whim, we went to ST just to see what the "dark side" looked like, and were instantly converted. Customer service was fantastic, and prices even better. The only unfortunate part is that I can't stop going back and each time I do I spend money... Anyway, whoever tells you ST is bad is probably trying to compensate for something.

skdvr
05-01-2008, 13:51
I have only done business one time each with LeisurePro and Scuba.com, and in fairness, I have to say I was satisfied with both transactions. They did not, however, involve anything that would require future service. In fact, the only reason I dealt with LeisurePro at all was that my Sister-in-Law sent me a gift card for Christmas (she didn't know any better. She does now). Having said that, now that I've found Scuba Toys, who needs the other guys?

Scuba Toys is definately the way to go... I had bought a few things from scuba.com before getting burned, and I will not do it again. I have not had a bad experience with LP but I have not ever bought anything from them though. I know people that have and have not had a problem with them, but then again I hear horror stories about them too, so unless there is a SUPER deal and I cannot find it anywhere else I will not buy from them either. I do check out their site from time to time just to see what they have, and to keep an eye out for the good deals though. Scuba Toys has always been great to deal with, and I am sure that they always will be...

Phil

mixahl
05-01-2008, 13:59
ST will most likely match any amazing deal LP will have too! :)

fkostyun
05-01-2008, 15:01
I have done business with a variety on online retailers and so far things have been good. I did have one otter box that I bought from leisure pro come as damaged - and they took it right back - however - they ran out of stock on the one that I had ordered - and actually called me to ask if I wanted another one, or a refund (which I said - no rush - didn't need it untill this Saturday!! (this was 2 months ago.)

Now, my one order from Scuba Toys went great - in fact too great - and they had a small miss-ship with extra pair of shoes inside that were not ordered (I called them and let them know - as I'm sure someone else is probably looking for them.)

I will definatly deal more with scubatoys than others in the future - its been a pleasure to deal with them. Called them today about a wetsuit - but - they don't stock the one I was looking for (not their fault I want a weird one and need it tommorow for vacation on Saturday.) I will probably call once back from vacation to have them see about special ordereing it from bare.