PDA

View Full Version : Refill life of tanks

Krafcheck
11-01-2007, 07:48
This is a question I thought of after reading a response on
valmalbright's thread about Aluminum Tanks.

Someone said after XX years one dive shop refused to fill any tank including steels. Is this a new developing standard? I was going to get some tanks for the wife and I for Christmas as stocking stuffers, but if this no filling thing is catching on my stocking will be empty again this year. Anyone having this problem? Im assuming the LDS (or should i say not LDS but new employee) that refused service was misinformed. Its one thing if its a Hydro issue but age is another. This question isnt about the bad aluminum made in the 80's.

in_cavediver
11-01-2007, 11:04
Any well informed dive shop will not have said policies.

A steel tank can last decades. I have an industrial tank of argon with a first hydro in the 1930's. Scuba tanks, so long as within hydro are good as well. VIP's are industry standard so you should have that to.

Al tanks though are a different story. Do a search for 6351 alloy and you'll find tanks made before 1988 may have been made with this alloy which is succeptable to Sustained Load Cracking and has resulted in tank rupture, injury and deaths.

As a result of the 6351 Alloy, some misinformed shops have instituted blanket bans on tanks over XX years. Some have said no Al tanks older than 1988 and some have said no 6351 Alloy. Of course a few do still fill the 6351 tanks but that number seems to be dropping.

I find it perfectly reasonable to not fill/service the 6351 tanks due to known and publized issues. The DOT just adopted the CGA recommended changes for inspection/hydro on 6351 tanks to include an eddy current test during hydro. In the discussions prior to adopting the changes, recall and condemnation were considered as well but do to small numbers and volentary removal, those weren't adopted.

Beyond that, not sevicing other tanks is IMHO ignorance or lack of training.

CompuDude
11-01-2007, 12:10
Lots of shops ban Aluminum tanks made before 1990 due to the series of issues, just as a safety measure, but I don't see this is as a rolling standard... meaning, I doubt in 10 years they're going to start banning Aluminum tanks made before 2000.

As for steel, as long as vis and hydro are current, they'll probably last longer than you will, and I don't know any shops that won't fill a steel tank that has current vis and hydro, regardless of age.

terrillja
11-01-2007, 12:22
This is a question I thought of after reading a response on
valmalbright's thread about Aluminum Tanks.

Someone said after XX years one dive shop refused to fill any tank including steels. Is this a new developing standard? I was going to get some tanks for the wife and I for Christmas as stocking stuffers, but if this no filling thing is catching on my stocking will be empty again this year. Anyone having this problem? Im assuming the LDS (or should i say not LDS but new employee) that refused service was misinformed. Its one thing if its a Hydro issue but age is another. This question isnt about the bad aluminum made in the 80's.

Just wondering, how big are your stockings? I know a tank certainly wouldn't fit in mine. I wonder if I had a bigger stocking if I could get a new tank under the logic that if you build it, they will come.

Krafcheck
11-02-2007, 10:43
You gotta be creative when it comes to stockings. A red a green potato sack is a good conversation piece.