PDA

View Full Version : Color Problems?

l_w
11-01-2007, 08:05
I was curious if anyone knew how to help fix the colors when diving and taking pictures. The pictures come out differently then what I see- as far as colors go. I recently dove in Mexico while visiting Cancun, the water was beautiful, the viz was around 100+ ft, but when I got my pictures downloaded they had a blue tint to them. Is there something to do to clear this up- the fish didn't have the same tint when I seen them through the naked eye.

Thanks.

DevilDiver
11-01-2007, 08:40
As light passes through water you loose color....

1. Always try to get close as possible to your subject. This is the most important thing taking pictures underwater........ If you are using a p/s camera with only the built in flash you need to be 2-3' max to get any natural color in the pic... Also using the built in flash you will notice spots in your photos. This is particles (backscatter) in the water that reflect the light from the cameras flash. These will show up in the photos because the flash is located close to the lens and you are getting a reflection from the particles in the picture.

2. Depending on your camera you can change the settings to compensate for some of the natural light that is filtered through the water. The white balance can be adjusted to make the camera bring out more of the color or change the lighting setting for "cloudy day" if available. Some cameras have a SEA or underwater setting on the menu. There are filters available that can be added to kinda correct the color balance as well......

3. You will need to add at least one strobe. The strobe(s) will make a huge difference. This will somewhat replace the natural light and color that is filtered out of the water. Even with strobes you will need to get as close as possible to your subject. A strobe will only work up to a distance of 6-7' max. Adding a strobe will also help with the backscatter mentioned above. By moving the flash away from the lens the reflection of particles in the water is not picked up in the photo as much...

These are only 3 basic tips but IMO they will give you a good base to learn more... Good Luck and always practice!! :smiley20:

WestTnDiver
11-02-2007, 17:21
As DevilDiver said the most important thing in UW Photography is get closer. I always tell new photogs to get close and then get closer! Put your arm out - it's about 2 1/2 feet away. If you're fingers are no where near the subject, then get closer. Even with a big external strobe, 5 feet can be pushing it especially if you have a long strobe arm and have the strobe out and behind the camera.

Another thing to always try to do is shoot up. When you're above the subject and shooting down, your subject tends to flatten into the background.