PDA

View Full Version : How often do you buy new gear?

stranger
11-01-2007, 08:30
I'm wondering how often you all buy new gear or upgrade your current stuff?

When it breaks? When something better come along? Every few years?

Capt Hook
11-01-2007, 08:36
I'm in the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" camp, most of my gear is getting on in years, but is still in good shape.

BSea
11-01-2007, 08:43
Depends on what you are talking about. My fins are about 12 years old. I just bought a new wing for my BP. Nothing was really wrong with my old 1, I just wanted a newer style. I guess to answer your question, I buy something new when I see something I like better, and when I can justify the cost. Probably a mask is what I upgrade the most often. Not because I need a new 1, but because I want a new 1. And they are relatively cheap as far as gear is concerned.

Most major pieces of gear just won't wear out, so as long as parts are still available for regular maintenance, you really don't need to replace gear very often. So as long as it still performs, I generally hang onto it, even if I've bought something newer. My old wing will still be used when I use my dry suit because it has more lift than my new wing. Probably the main piece of gear with the shortest life span is a wetsuit. I've had mine for 2 years now, and it probably has 3 or 4 more years left in it.

Charlotte Smith
11-01-2007, 09:43
I buy new gear when I like what I hear and if I can justify the expense....most of the time I don't really need it because like the previous post...if you take care of your gear it will last for years. For me...I replace my wetsuit most often, I haven't EVER really found one I like because most of the time I dive without one...I just can't get used to being so restricted.....most dives I just wear a vest, as long as the water temp is suitable....but again...that's just me....

RoadRacer1978
11-01-2007, 09:48
If I can afford it and it would make sense to either replace or upgrade I will do it. For now I'm trying to get everything I need and trying not to repeat buy too much until I have everything I really need.

RocketMan
11-01-2007, 09:57
Whenever I have disposable income...unfortunately most of my income is disposed of before it gets to me...

in_cavediver
11-01-2007, 11:16
I buy gear when I need it. Case in point, despite have a jacket BC, and back inflate, transpac and BP/wing, my wife and I just picked up Nomad systems. (they supposedly will do singles, doubles, sidemount and CCR's).

Sadly, with excess gear (enough for a small OW class), about the only thing we don't use on a somewhat regular basis is the ranger and jacket BC's. Well, that and snorkels. Evertyhing else has a place and get used. (sad for 14 tanks, 9 regs, 6 sets of fins, 4 drysuits, 6 wetsuits, 4 can lights, 6 backup lights, 5 computers, 8 reels, wetgloves, dry gloves etc)

ScubaJenn81
11-01-2007, 15:01
I want new gear for every gift giving occasion, however, that does not happen. Honestly though, I try to only get it when I really need it, as it is a big investment.

BobArnold8265
11-01-2007, 15:03
For the most part only when it breaks. I've been pretty pleased with all of the gear I have bought to date with the exception of a new mask that I purchased about a year ago. I am thinking about a new camera though even though mine still works great. This is one toy where there have been many improvements through the years and to me personally, upgrading makes a little sense.

gibson1525
11-02-2007, 17:10
I'm in the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" camp, most of my gear is getting on in years, but is still in good shape.

i agree. every piece of mine is the same since i bought it in '94. (with the exception of the camera that i added this year). some of it i even got used. i love how well made scuba gear is, it will last almost as long as you do.

vadiver
11-02-2007, 17:25
I buy new gear when I need it. I don't rush out and buy the newest thing on the market...I usually evaluate my diving, where I'm headed and if the new piece of equipment will support that. I have gear I use with a single tank (ST BP/30lb wing) and for doubles (ST BP/40 lbs wing; AL BP/55 and 60lbs wing). All of my other gear is interchangable...regs, can light, fins, etc...

marchand
11-02-2007, 18:43
I buy new gear to often. This year I bought a HID, reg, bladder, gauge console, and I'm hoping to bet a PB and harness before the end of the year. My bank account isn't very happy with me.

awap
11-02-2007, 19:23
"NEW" gear - whenever my wife/buddy wants it. More gear - whenever I find something interesting. Ebay is my primary source. I'm starting to feel like the Bunker Hunt of used Scubapro regulators.

couped243
11-02-2007, 20:43
Honestly I would love to buy something new every time I get a paycheck! haha. But for the most part I've upgraded little by little one piece of equipment at a time. Also if I take a course, like when I took AOW and EAN Diver I gave myself a little present and upgraded my regs, mask, and fins. A little incentive never hurt.

rach
11-02-2007, 21:28
agree with the above....i won't replace a single piece of equipment until it no longer functions...i think instead of seeing who has the best & newest article of dive gear the contest should consist of whose equipment looks like it's lastest since 1972 (i.e. my bc, which doesn't even have a brand name on it!)...but as an ST plug, when my boots finally do deteriorate, i will be buying my new ones with my *$50 gc*!!!! only 200 posts to go! :smiley20:

Puffer Fish
11-03-2007, 00:36
I buy based on some stuff wearing out...to have backups... to try new technology and well....to see how stuff works...

Travelnsj
11-03-2007, 01:14
I have an order coming from ST Monday....froze my butt off in Wakatobi in those 80 degrees waters and 70 minute dives...wearing a 1mm shorty....so have a Henderson 1mm on its way...plus a beanie!....also some of my stuff is wearing out so need to replace....when falling apart!

Zenagirl
11-03-2007, 07:59
Hmm, let's see, here's all my gear:

Fins: Literally started separating from the foot pocket. (replaced with Jet Fins)
Mask: Found stress/age cracks in the plastic frame. (replaced with Oceanic Ion4)
Snorkel: Still have, but bought a folding snorkel (Mares Avid)
Wetsuit: 3mm originally, added 5mm, added 3mm vest, added microprene
(now own all of these and use them all...all Henderson)
BC: Bought a used one, hated it after less than 10 dives. (replaced with Zeagle Zena)
Regs: Stupidly got a Dacor oct, switched it for a Zeagle Envoy octo.
(all regs are now Zeagle Envoys)
Computer: No change, no reason to (though I'd like to go hoseless one day)
Light: Kept leaking, not enough light. (replaced with Nocturnal Light LED :D )
Camera: Bought a housing for a camera we already had. Too much shutter
lag and couldn't do macro. (Replaced with Sea&Sea 8000G (yay!) )

WV Diver
11-03-2007, 08:33
Repair and replace as needed. Buy new gadgets and accessories as the mood strikes me (not often). Upgrades are few as I usually buy after I know what I want and will use it till it needs replaced then I look at the newer better stuff.

Kokomo
11-03-2007, 09:08
Repair and replace as needed. Buy new gadgets and accessories as the mood strikes me (not often). Upgrades are few as I usually buy after I know what I want and will use it till it needs replaced then I look at the newer better stuff.

Then wife gets the leftovers. :smiley20:

WV Diver
11-03-2007, 09:12

You should be ashamed.:nono:

Puffer Fish
11-03-2007, 09:15

I find it best to always buy the wife something equal or better than what I have...

Helps cover up that I am getting new stuff some of the time...

Kokomo
11-03-2007, 09:22

I find it best to always buy the wife something equal or better than what I have...

Helps cover up that I am getting new stuff some of the time...

Believe me...I'm not complaining.....By the way, Puff...CB here.

Puffer Fish
11-03-2007, 09:44

Helps cover up that I am getting new stuff some of the time...Believe me...I'm not complaining......

Hi CB... would have known that had I looked at your picture... you are the intelligent looking one on the right. (Florida picture?)

Still goes... wife gets the best (Puffer just gets one also)...really just a point of view change.

Kokomo
11-03-2007, 10:39
Actually...I am first in line for a new regulator. I have been using my son's that we got him for Christmas 2 years ago. We can't all dive together because we are sharing equipment 3 ways. And yes...that's a Florida pic...in the Keys.

Puffer Fish
11-03-2007, 10:44
Actually...I am first in line for a new regulator. I have been using my son's that we got him for Christmas 2 years ago.
Well, I have Zeagle (thank you ST's), Scubapro (also thank you ST's) and the latest aqualung for you to try out... not every good reg out there, but a nice starting point. Just grag you know who and get down here....or just leave him and the kids and come on your own...

Kokomo
11-03-2007, 11:06
Actually...I am first in line for a new regulator. I have been using my son's that we got him for Christmas 2 years ago.
Well, I have Zeagle (thank you ST's), Scubapro (also thank you ST's) and the latest aqualung for you to try out... not every good reg out there, but a nice starting point. Just grag you know who and get down here....or just leave him and the kids and come on your own...

Actually....I have been looking at Aqualung...That's what WV uses. Son's is a Sherwood. We WILL end up on your doorstep someday...and since it is about diving I'm sure WV would not be willing to be left behind. Besides...he's my favorite dive buddy!

Puffer Fish
11-03-2007, 11:19
I doubt if I can afford it.. but I have always had a serious liking for Poseidon regulators.. as that, for many, many years was my teaching reg. ST now sells them.. and I assume can service them...in my dream world... that is the one item I would really like to have. There is something so different about breathing thru one...

Kokomo
11-03-2007, 12:03
I've seen Poseidons advertised and discussed but don't know much about them

Puffer Fish
11-03-2007, 12:11
I've seen Poseidons advertised and discussed but don't know much about them

They sort of help during the inhale... rather than have breathing resistance, it could best be described as sort of giving air faster than you can take it. They also have a much smaller and better designed dead air space (you are breathing less of your exhaled air).

And air is exhausted to the side.

They are so different (at least to me), that you have to try one first...people that love the regular design, don't usually like them... those the love the easy breathing and less breathing noise... love them...I hope I can afford one so you can try it.

quasimoto
11-03-2007, 15:26
Back to the original question. I usually buy when new gear is needed or broke. Dive gear isn't like a PC that the day after you buy it is old technology.
I have upgraded once when I bought a new dive computer. I always said that I wouldn't dive nitrox because I thought it was a hassle. Once I saw that light I decided to switch.

superkingkong
11-10-2007, 11:35
Usually i'll buy it when it's broken. but sometimes, my stuff needs upgrade :D , thus selling off my old stuff :)

teog
12-25-2007, 16:27
Im just replacing my regs and fins after 5yrs. Nothing wrong with the old stuff, just wanted something new.

dannybot
12-25-2007, 16:54
I have to make excuses: My old Brut breathed too heavy, so I got a new GT3. Wife had ankle surgery, so I bought her split fins, got her Quatros. Booked a trip with free nitrox, so we took a nitrox class, then needed to get her a nitox computer. I always work enought overtime to cover the expenses, but I'm getting on in the years, and its harder all the time.

CaptainRon
12-25-2007, 21:17
Only when something needs replacing or no longer meets the my needs. Most of my personal gear in between 25 and 30 years old. I try to take good care of it. I did finally spring for a new regulator and dive computer this year though. My 30 year old Sportways reg will become a back up and I never had a computer before.

fisheater
12-26-2007, 02:32
i love how well made scuba gear is, it will last almost as long as you do.

That's problem. If some gear dies, so do we! :smiley19:

Goober
12-26-2007, 06:38
Being single, the monthly bill load is a tough line to hold for me. Case and point right after the last check out dive for open water I lost my mask and snorkle. We looked but the grass was so high and thick on the bottom none of us ever found them.

I had a dive trip planned in two weeks. I had to have at least a mask. That was 60.00 that I really didn't need to spend at that time. In fact that 60.00 put me in a pinch.

I could not justify buying something as long as I had one that worked fine. Infact I simply wouldn't do it. I say all of this now, well see what happens in the future:smiley9:

wheelman
12-26-2007, 07:56
I buy mostly when something breaks or is lost. I might buy some small ticket items if they look usful or are needed.

Mycroft
12-28-2007, 13:34
Well, there are only a couple of pieces where I bought something as an upgrade or a replacement. Most of my gear is still my original purchase of that kind of gear. Exceptions:

1. Sold my Princeton dive light to replace with Ikelite. Then added the mounting brackets to allow me to mount Ikelite to camera strobe arm. This reduced task loading considerably, thus increasing safety!

2. Still trying to sell my paddle fins, which I replaced with Atomics. Now in my defense, Atomics didn't exist when I originally bought the paddles, and I got brand new Atomic XL fins in my choice of color delivered to my door for $65.

3. Polartec wetsuit. I just bought a new one last year, but hey, the old one was starting to wear out and this new one is a custom made job.

4. Dive boots. The old ones have some life in them, but the left one is cracked along the top. The ones I bought were a different style, so I can use them more in warmer water.

5. Dive computer. Went from air only, console, AI, hosed to Nitrox, AI, wrist mount, hoseless. Finally sold the old one a couple years later. This change also reduced task loading and made me a safer diver.

6. First and second stage. Picked up an exact duplication of my primary set on E-bay just before a liveaboard trip last year. Had them serviced. These are backup units, not a replacement.

7. Have 2 backup masks, after I was standing in waist deep water and my prescription lens came loose on the inside of the mask. Had to abort that dive. Got 2 more of the same style mask for about 15$ each as backups.

8. Had to replace my first set of gloves when I finally went thru the finger tips one day.

9. Got 2 dive cameras right now. My primary that I built mostly from E-bay, and the secondary cheap one - I won the body from a radio program (and sold the second one of that type for about what it was worth!) and got the flash for $25 off e-bay.

10. Won a mask and a pair of Force fins at another time from the radio program. One of my step brothers got the mask, the other got the fins.

SarahBella
12-28-2007, 19:33
I am still working on my first set of gear...but I am a fan of "If its not broke then don't fix it". So far I have managed to make educated purchases by using the boards and have been happy with all.

medic001918
12-28-2007, 20:36
It depends. My wife and I try to keep our gear consistent, so everything we get is times two. I replaced my light this year with a cansiter light (we still have to get hers) and we added dry suits to our collection. She just got into diving last year so it was a heavy year of spending to get her up to speed. But we replace things as they wear. This upcoming year could get expensive since we're going to take GUE-Fundamentals and I'll probably at least end up in doubles (she's still not sure if she can handle them). Her stuff is all new, and my stuff is in good shape. So hopefully no more "replacing" for a while...just adding as time goes on.

Shane

azdiver
12-28-2007, 21:32
I'm still using the same oceanic omega that I certified in back in 1988... although I've had it rebuilt several times. :-)

I'm on my 2nd pair of fins and my 2nd bc. I had at least 6 different masks trying to finde one that I liked as much as my original us divers hawaii. Will admit that I'm looking for a travel bc and a pair of full foot fins for travel as well.

azdiver
12-28-2007, 21:37
Oh and and now on my 2nd computer. My first was the original suunto sme and I bought a gekko a few years ago... I now use the sme as a back up. I do want to go to a hoseless one soon though

mrbheagney
09-04-2008, 21:29
I buy new gear whenever I get a chance to get off this bloody Island.