PDA

View Full Version : moldable mouthpieces

linalou
07-19-2007, 12:22
hello! i just bought one of those moldable mouthpieces, and the directions say to heat to 70C and then bite. has anyone done this before? does the temperature need to be exact or can you tell when it is ready by poking it or something?

ScubaToys Larry
07-19-2007, 12:37
We just get some water up to a boil... then when it's boiling, pull it off the stove. Then using some hot dog tongs, put just the bite part in the water for 30 seconds. Take it out, shake twice, and bite. You'd think you'll burn yourself... but you don't!

At least that's how the SeaCures work for me.

Liv7301
07-19-2007, 12:39
I have a SeaCure mouthpiece. The directions on that one are similar: heat large pan of water. Make sure pan is large enough so when you submerge only the bite wings they don't touch the bottom or sides of pan. Heat the water to boiling. Remove from heat and wait until the water calms down. Dip the bite wings only for20-30 seconds. Shake off excess water and bite firmly. Don't be surprised if you have to trim it a bit because it's larger than you need and causes a touch of gagging.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Now that is only for Seacure. If you have another brand it might be made out of a different material that doesn't need to be heated as much, thus the specific water temperature. Stay on the side of caution: if it isn't soft enough for your teeth to make an impression, dunk it for a few more seconds. It's much easier to have to reheat and rebite than if you go way to far and now have a molten plastic mouthpiece!</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Anyone out there with other stories or experiences with Seacure or another brand?</DIV>

medic001918
07-19-2007, 12:42
These moldable mouthpieces are great. We use them and I don't know as though I'd be happy diving without them. They're easy to mold and you can always remold them as needed.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>
A suggestion though since some of them can be rather long. Make sure that they don't trigger a gag reflex in whoever you're diving with. That would make it nearly unusable for air sharing. You might have to trim it back a little bit. I found I had to do that with mine for my fiance. No big deal, and it still works great.

Shane</DIV>

ScubaToys Larry
07-19-2007, 12:55
Oh, if you do have to trim it... try to do it before you boil it. The boiling rounds off the edges so they won't be as sharp. Otherwise you might have to do a bit of sanding.

ertechsg
07-19-2007, 13:00
Oh, if you do have to trim it... try to do it before you boil it. The boiling rounds off the edges so they won't be as sharp. Otherwise you might have to do a bit of sanding. Now ya tell me&gt;

frankc420
07-19-2007, 13:07
Oh, if you do have to trim it... try to do it before you boil it. The boiling rounds off the edges so they won't be as sharp. Otherwise you might have to do a bit of sanding.

Now ya tell me&gt;

Lucky(AR)
07-21-2007, 17:11
i have one and i just put a bowl of water in the microwave and pulled them out with some little tongs,,, there were some trimming that had to be done

rktman26
08-11-2007, 21:35
I ended up heating mine twice to get it right, bit once I did, it was perfect.