PDA

View Full Version : When Did You Feel Like A Diver?

Vercingetorix
07-19-2007, 13:25
What do I mean? Let me answer by way of personal anecdote. As of this past weekend, I have 20 dives, so I'm still new to this game. I've just completed NAUI Scuba Diver Rescue. At the end of it all, I felt a certain serenity about diving. I feel truly comfortable.
<DIV>Up until this time, I felt almost like a pretender. That is,I had the gear and I was blowing bubbles. I could do the skills (mask clearing, reg recovery, basic buoyancy, etc). But I felt I wasn't "one of the group", i.e., not a diver. Perhaps, these were my insecurities coming to the fore.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Yet, this past weekend, I had an opportunity to observe an OW class as they did their lake dives and skills. As I hovered there, suspended in watery space, I saw myself six months ago during my OW lake dives. I saw how far I've come. Yes, I know, I've a long way to go; but, that is not the point of this posting.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>During my Rescue lake dives, I had a couple situations (documented elsewhere) where I should have been frightened, perhaps panicked. Rather, I did as I was trained and everything was kosher. Then, again, I'm not one to usually panic. I tend to get angry at a sudden turn of events and swear a lot.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>It's all very Zen, I know. So, when did you achieve that comfort level when you knew "This is where I belong?"</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>And, to get his out of the way early so nobody has to repeat it: I was comfortable the very first day.</DIV>

jacewindu
07-19-2007, 13:42
for me, being in the water has always been a comfortable situation, whether it's swimming, snorkeling or diving.
i've always had a solid grasp on the skills required to be a confident diver, but for me it's hard to pinpoint a time when i crossed any sort of 'barrier'

the best way to describe it is that I get better with every dive I make - which is something that I hope never goes away

ertechsg
07-19-2007, 13:59
for me, being in the water has always been a comfortable situation, whether it's swimming, snorkeling or diving.
i've always had a solid grasp on the skills required to be a confident diver, but for me it's hard to pinpoint a time when i crossed any sort of 'barrier'

the best way to describe it is that I get better with every dive I make - which is something that I hope never goes away
Same for me I grew up in the water started swimming at age 5

Queen
07-19-2007, 17:41
I've felt like a diver my whole life. Was born on Cape Cod and learned to swim before I learned to walk, I honestly feel more comfortable in water than on land...from my very first breath underwater I felt like I was home.

cummings66
07-19-2007, 17:47
I felt like a diver the moment I took the first breath of air of the second stage, been wonderful ever since.

CompuDude
07-19-2007, 18:07
I felt like a diver the moment I took the first breath of air of the second stage, been wonderful ever since.
Beat me to it. :-)

I'll never forget the rush of excitement that came with that first breath underwater in a pool in Hawaii, having just turned 16 a month earlier...

I immediately knew I was in the right place. smileys/smiley27.gif

fire diver
07-19-2007, 18:29
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Same for me. </DIV>

Rascal1933
07-19-2007, 19:04
<DIV>The First hit of Air from the Reg &gt; that did it for me too! http://www.scubatoys.com/forum/smileys/smiley27.gif</DIV>

thesmoothdome
07-20-2007, 15:25
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Me too. I'll be honest, I wasn't exactly excited by the notion of getting certified, but after that first breath while standing in 4 feet of water with my face in the water, I was hooked. </DIV>

tc_rain
07-20-2007, 22:48
The first dive with a dive buddy instead of an instructor.

picxie
07-20-2007, 22:52
Between dive # 20 to 30. It wasn't because of the number of dives logged though - it was a 3 day livaboard trip where we did 3-4 dives a day. About half way through I realised I felt very comfortable and was really pleased with my progress. It was also my first 'real' set of dives with a dive buddy rather than a DM or instructor.

Venio
07-20-2007, 23:00
I feel totally comfortable even with my five dives. It doesn't mean I'm overconfident, I know my limits and that there is a lot more to learn, just it feels natural to me being in the water. That may be because I have vast experience with all kind of extreme sports.

techgnostic
07-21-2007, 00:53
After my first OW session, when I swam the next day (I was life-guarding at the time, so I swam daily), I was ticked off I had to come up for air.

To this day I have to remind myself to come up for air before I get into trouble when I am doing underwater laps with fins on...I get in the groove right away and forget I'm 'just' swimming.
<DIV></DIV>

rktman26
07-21-2007, 21:40
I felt comfortable right away. On my second dive after certification,
my buddy and I were on a wreck in 65 fsw, open ocean, no instructor-
and no problems.

tc_rain
07-21-2007, 23:24
My first dives were in Jamacia after cert. They were great dives but I still had an instructor/D/M to follow around and I still felt like I was in training. Think I got in like 12dives there.Once I got back and went to a local Quarry with a friend I started feeling more confident.

the gooch
07-22-2007, 15:46
I felt confident even during my OW class but it hit me when someone kicked my mask off and popped my primary out of my mouth while on vacation in Roatan. I remained completely calm and swooped for my reg, and then recovered my mask.

TxHockeyGuy
07-23-2007, 14:16
I didn't start feeling really comfortable underwater until about dive 25. I'm now somewhere in the low 40's. For example there's no way I would have dove in that dive park where we held our rescue class when I had 20 dives, the vis was just too bad. I still had reservations initially, but those disappeared as soon as I went under. So I guess I'd say it's been a progression for me that started around dive 25 and is still continuing.

BSea
07-23-2007, 14:41
I've been able to swim ever since I can remember. As a kid I watched Mike Nelson save the planet all the while submerged. I guess I caught the bug early on, but I didn't get certified till I was in college. But I felt I was a diver from day 1. Sure, I'm better at things now, but I always felt like I belonged.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>That's not to say I don't get nervous when I go to a new site, but once under water any apprehension vanishes. I remember my 1st ocean dive. The seas were rough, people were puking all over the place, but I had the time of my life once I was under water. But I was sure nervous before I got in the water.</DIV>

tx.lakerat
07-23-2007, 19:44
ever since I was a kid. I grew up on the rivers and was always in the water.... I thought I was a fish!

frankc420
07-23-2007, 22:12
I felt like a diver as soon as I was told I passed my OW with flying colors and I was handed my temporary card. As soon as I hit the water with my buddy for that first post-cert dive, I knew it was all going to be uphill from there!

quarrydiver
08-14-2007, 23:27
grew up in a lake (or at least near one) so I've always been at home in the water.

Buoyant1
08-16-2007, 11:28
Once I decided that I'm actually doing this, doing it correctly, and not feeling apprehensive about being at any given depth. (and when I started diving locally like a nut) At first I was diving, and not seeing any thng because I was trying not to kill myself..bu then I started relaxing, going with it, and now I notice things that other people miss, and remember more than "remember to breath"!

ok..I lied...it was the day I put the diver down sticker on my car...

Vercingetorix
06-13-2008, 14:02
Any new thoughts for this thread?

When did you feel "This is where I was meant to be?"

rumblefish
06-13-2008, 14:47
I felt like this was meant to be the first time I strapped my 12" Rambo knife to the outside of my calf!!!! I felt like a diver from the time I had to wrestle that shark after cutting the hoses of those enemy scuba agents....

Ha!!! J/K :smiley36: Sorry couldn't resist.

bassplayer
06-13-2008, 14:51
OH OH....sorry I didn't see the word "like" at first :smilie39:

Charles R
06-13-2008, 15:07
I First felt like a true diver the day that I got my Tech Pass in Fundies! Now I look at each dive and ask my self what did I learn on this dive. This is the only way to insure I will continue to be a better diver.

Judge
06-14-2008, 13:27
Me personally....Judge 6 2008 (I got married June 6 2003). On the dive boat my phone rings.....wife answers it and hands it to me....my mom wishing us happy anniversary...neither of us realized it was our anniversary cuz we spent so much time prepping for the wreck dive :smilie39:

DiverMAN
06-14-2008, 14:11
my first dive after getting certified...

kahoots
06-14-2008, 15:01
my first dive after getting certified...

im still not certified yet, however i did 4 dives appx. 40-50ft. I loved it. I was scared at first but its definetly a different world when your swimming with fish and coral. I am very comfortable when im in the water even though im still a newbie. I guess im lucky. i cant wait to get my cert in the upcoming months before my bahamas trip in the end of July.

scootermcfly
06-17-2008, 15:02
I felt like a diver just after completing OW-we went on a boat dive in the Gulf of Mexico near Tampa. I only wish I had done the training before I turned 37-so many years wasted.

obrules15
06-17-2008, 15:17
I think for me it was on the third resort course, I kept taking them because it always felt like coming home.

MSilvia
06-17-2008, 15:31
For me, it was after taking a rescue diver course. My focus quietly but fundamentally shifted from worrying about myself to being aware of what was going on around me. I got all of my own equipment at about the same time, so I think it was a combination of the two things that made me feel like I was a "real" diver and not just a guy with a c-card.

abcitydiver
06-18-2008, 02:32
around dive 10 my buddy was making her first ow dive without and instructor - and she was having some problems, being able to easily manage my own situation AND hers....well thats when the light when on....the "hey, i'm an ok diver...a real diver" light.

mitsuguy
06-18-2008, 05:44
mine was when we all went to the lake, the class split up, the tech divers split up, and there were three regular ol divers, myself and two others, and I led the dive... that's when I said, hm, I must be doing something right...

FailedExistence
06-18-2008, 10:06
<---- Still waiting for that moment.

I grew up in Arizona, had seen the ocean twice in my life and literally stepped away from it as the waves approached. The biggest body of water I had ever been in was an Olympic sized pool and I was fine with that. I am a competent swimmer and enjoy the water, but my two biggest fears have always been the ocean and drowning. So my wife decided we needed to go to Hawaii for our honeymoon and go diving. We completed our OW checkout dives in the Sea of Cortez last month which was an experience and have been in Lake Pleasant once since then. I am definitely better then I was that first dive when I completely panicked, but I still have concerns. :) I want to do AOW and hopefully Rescue before the summer is up so I can start to feel more comfortable in the water and really enjoy things.