PDA

View Full Version : Anyone use the Mares MR12 Abyss?

lovesmexico615
11-01-2007, 17:05
I'm looking at this as it is a bit less expensive than the Abyss. I'd love to get feedback on what people think of this reg.

okidiver
11-02-2007, 03:26
I don't use the Abyss second stage but I sure do use the MR12 first stage with a Proton Metal and like it alot. Easy breathing, compact and never get cotton mouth due to the chrome/brass body. I'm going say that with the Abyss same results with my Proton Metal but a bit bigger and wider exhaust tee. Not a bad buy if you ask me. :smiley20:

ScubaToys Larry
11-02-2007, 05:12
Yea, we were pretty happy with this buy.... the abyss is an incredibly easy breathing and durable second stage... and the MR12 is one of the most bullet proof, small package but huge performing first stages ever built. No one has used this comb (unless they put it together themselves) because this combo was custom made for NASA. They use it for all the diving in the neutral buoyancy lab in Houston. This is the 6.2 million gallon pool they use to simulate weightlessness for the astronauts.

http://static.howstuffworks.com/gif/nasa-14.jpg

They just bought a bunch of these, but mares built a few too many... This is not the first time we've worked with the Mares rep to pick up extra product that was made for them.... but it's probably the best deal we've gotten.

Mares MR 12 Abyss, Regulators, Mares, Mares MR 12 Abyss (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=Mares_MR_12_Abyss)

comet24
11-02-2007, 06:53
I have a MR22 with the older Abyss 2nd. Great reg. Never had a problem in the 5 years or so I have had it.

lovesmexico615
11-02-2007, 09:31
Larry, that might just be one of the coolest pictures ever. If it's good enough for NASA I'm guessing it will be good enough for me ;-) I'll be calling later today!

mobeeno
04-20-2008, 13:28
I'm looking at this as it is a bit less expensive than the Abyss. I'd love to get feedback on what people think of this reg.
I like the MR12 because it has proven to be a good 1st stage for years. I like the Abyss metal second stage. Couple of my buddies have those and they look cool.

tomich
10-25-2009, 08:58
if anybody has one they're getting rid of, let me know!