PDA

View Full Version : Exploding Batteries?



gibson1525
11-01-2007, 20:28
came back from a dive only to open up the strobe and find a corrosive mess all over the inside. at first i thought it was a leak but there was so much damage/corrosion to the batteries that i think it must have been battery acid. i was using energizer AA 2500s, what do you think-leak or battery problem?

Puffer Fish
11-01-2007, 20:48
came back from a dive only to open up the strobe and find a corrosive mess all over the inside. at first i thought it was a leak but there was so much damage/corrosion to the batteries that i think it must have been battery acid. i was using energizer AA 2500s, what do you think-leak or battery problem?
Need some more information..were they in there a long time? Do you have pictures? I've seen water get into lights and blow up the bulb (high heat, water/steam), but never the batteries on a strobe.

A very small amount of salt water, will make a mess inside a case really fast...and that I have seen more times than I would like.

Scuba Steve
11-01-2007, 21:05
Were both batteries brand new? I've heard of occasions in which batteries have leaked after being paired with batteries containing different amounts of available power. I have also heard that it can be a bit dangerous.

gibson1525
11-01-2007, 21:49
Need some more information..were they in there a long time? Do you have pictures? I've seen water get into lights and blow up the bulb (high heat, water/steam), but never the batteries on a strobe.

A very small amount of salt water, will make a mess inside a case really fast...and that I have seen more times than I would like.



they were in for 2 dives. total time before i took them out....about 5 hours. no pics, but all 4 batteries were covered in corrosion, LOTS. not just surface corrosion, this was wet and formed almost a paste. it wasn't full of water when i emptied it, just a paste that covered everything inside. i lightly inspected the batteries for obvious defects but found nothing. i didn't clean them off to look closer, didn't feel like messing with it at 1AM.

gibson1525
11-01-2007, 21:51
Were both batteries brand new? I've heard of occasions in which batteries have leaked after being paired with batteries containing different amounts of available power. I have also heard that it can be a bit dangerous.


this could be the case. this was kind of a last minute dive and i hadn't gotten everything charged up from our last dives. all 4 batteries were put in my 8 hour charger for about 4 hours before leaving, but i have no idea how much charge each had on them before i put them in the charger. definitely a possibility that each had a different charge. is this bad? i've never heard of that before.

finflippers
11-01-2007, 22:04
EXPLODING FLASHLIGHTS (http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/fact0002.html)


In order to protect themselves, workers should follow these precautions:
Read and follow manufacturers’ recommendations for product use
DO NOT MIX batteries of different brands
DO NOT MIX old and new batteries
DO NOT MIX alkaline with nonalkaline batteries
DO NOT USE damaged batteries

BobArnold8265
11-02-2007, 10:13
I've had a strobe explode in my lap once. This was a few years back and lucky for me no harm was done (at least not to me, there was a nice sized dent in the wall when the front of the strobe flew into it). Like all batteries, it is possible for them to leak some hydrogen. If your strobe is functioning correctly, this shouldn't be a problem. However, if your srobe has a short which can cause a spark, KABOOOM !!!

Always look at your batteries and make sure they are not damaged in any way. Check your strobe after each trip and make sure there are no signs of corrosion or water leaks. And an earlier posting stated, never mix your battery types or old with new batteries.

The only good thing from this story was that I contacted the strobe manufacture and they sent me a replacement even though the strobe I was using was about 6 years old.

gibson1525
11-02-2007, 10:27
thanks for the advice, i guess i'll be a little more careful with my batteries next time.

bversteegh
11-04-2007, 00:50
just a little bit of water could do what you describe - it can short out the batteries, and then all kinds of bad things happen. I'd be sure and check your strobe for leaks after you clean up the mess from the batteries.

mcc2318
11-26-2007, 15:04
that had to be a mess