PDA

View Full Version : week long shore dive trip

jakeeib
11-02-2007, 09:39
I am going to take my on a week long shore diving trip in Apr 08, she is still not comfortable with boat dives, we are heading to FL. Starting in LA and going to the Jules underwater hotel for sure and maybe disney world.
What are the "cant miss" dives I should look at?

jakeeib
11-02-2007, 09:40
Fresh or salt water is fine.

Black-Gorrilla
11-03-2007, 22:56
i would skip the underwater hotel and try and convince her to do a boat dive in the keys.
the boats usually go out to fairly shallow waters 40' or less, and there is very little current often.
ft. lauderdale is full of shore spots.

Puffer Fish
11-04-2007, 06:33
i would skip the underwater hotel and try and convince her to do a boat dive in the keys.
the boats usually go out to fairly shallow waters 40' or less, and there is very little current often.
ft. lauderdale is full of shore spots.
And I would get a guide to springs.. some are kind of neat.

I think shore diving in Ft Lauderdale is better than in the keys.. but that is just my perspective.

Oh, and if the weather is nice, every so often the ocean is flat as a small pond.. should consider a boat dive then.

kyfriedchipper
11-04-2007, 10:43
My wife is the opposite - loves the boat dives (read: guide) and doesn't care for the shore dives (I am a little more adventurous). I had found a solution in the middle. We go on boat dives, but on the days I want to shore dive, hire a guide to take us out to the reef(s) on the first dive, show us around, then we're good for the 2nd or third dives!

jakeeib
11-04-2007, 18:30
She has this fear of not being able to swim back to shore, I am working on it though.
Anyone stayed at "Jules"? Worth it or not?

fisherdog
11-05-2007, 12:39
Try this for some reviews:

Latest reviews of Jules' Undersea Lodge, Key Largo, FL (http://travel.yahoo.com/p-reviews-352395-prod-hotel-action-read-ratings_and_reviews-i;_ylt=ArgV_Z9M.XwgD0qjW9jqm1biphQB)

jakeeib
11-07-2007, 07:29
ok thanks

ReefHound
11-07-2007, 09:26
She has this fear of not being able to swim back to shore, I am working on it though.
Anyone stayed at "Jules"? Worth it or not?

But that's what is good about boat dives... you don't have to swim back to shore. On the other hand, what you gonna do if you swim out from shore and get out too far to swim back? No boat will be around to bail you out.

I think boat diving in the Keys is "easier" than shore diving, especially on calm days. For shore dives, there's Lauderdale by the Sea that's a must. Also do Blue Heron bridge up in Pompano, but you have to check the tide schedules and do it near high tide.

If you're driving from LA (Louisiana?) you might stop in Destin and do the Destin jetties for a nice shore dive. There's also decent and very easy shore dives at Navarre Beach pier and next to Pensacola Beach pier.

Hit the springs on the way back to rinse off your gear and soothe any sunburn. I've not stayed at Jules but I've heard it is over-rated and over-priced but certainly unique.