PDA

View Full Version : General Discover Dive Question

scubasavvy
11-02-2007, 11:59
Hi folks,

I never wound up doing a Discover Dive and just went ahead and got my certification. As most of you have probably seen from my other posts, I started what we call "The Scuba Squad" at my university, and I'm taking several interested students to a local pool this weekend to do a Discover Dive from a local dive shop. I have been asked what will go on, but I'm not sure myself considering I have never done one. So, what will the instructor have the newbies do? Just hang out at the bottom of the pool?

MSilvia
11-02-2007, 12:07
They'll get a brief overview of the important things to know (don't hold your breath, etc) and some diving basics. They'll then get to try some skills (reg recovery, mask clear, etc) and maybe play around in the pool for a while after that.

NitroWill
11-02-2007, 12:09
Most DD courses start out with a dry portion where you explain the basics (always breath, equalizing, physics, dont touch coral, etc)..

They then go into basic equipment information, troubleshooting of equipment, and basic procedures.

Then most of the time they start in shallow end, either w/ full gear or just mask/fins snorkel and work on mask clearing, proper breathing, etc

Then the scuba gear comes on, most will make everyone repeat all the mask clearing skills as well as learn the scuba basics (regulator recovery, purging, etc) then will do some swimming and buoyancy work around the pool for half an hour.

It's a really good way to get your feet into scuba - but as always - make sure you find a good instructor! An instructor can make/break the course for a new student!

scubasavvy
11-02-2007, 20:39
I don't know if I should warn them about the mask flood and clear, lol. I think I might jump in the water with them to show them that if this idiot can do it, so can they. We'll see how it goes. Thanks so much for your help.

:smilie40:

Clanggedin
11-03-2007, 00:17
It's not a full mask removal/replace and clear like you have to do for certification. It is just a mask clear I believe. That's how it was when I did a Discover Scuba course not too long ago.

jwdizney
11-04-2007, 18:05
i did the PADI discover scuba class and it was basically the first two confined water dives, but they set the gear up for me. regulator recovery, signals, mask skills, basic swimming uw. it's what got me hooked!

scubasavvy
11-05-2007, 16:02
Hmm...not a full removal...that's a beautiful thing for newbies. How about no mask breathing/swimming? I'm trying to give the kids a heads up on what's going to be happening.

Clanggedin
11-05-2007, 16:11
Hmm...not a full removal...that's a beautiful thing for newbies. How about no mask breathing/swimming? I'm trying to give the kids a heads up on what's going to be happening.

no, no mask breathing or swimming. Just regulator removal and replace plus teaching them to keep exhaling when the regulator is removed and some hand signals.

My Discover Scuba was through SDI, it may be different w/ PADI and NAUI

NitroWill
11-05-2007, 19:06
You cant precisely say what the course will cover. There are certain standards that are REQUIRED by each agency. But a standard is a BARE MINIMUM and each instructor can do more as they feel suited. If you really need to know exactly what is involved, contact the shop that will be doing it.

liuk3
11-05-2007, 19:28
On my discovery dive in Hawaii, they gave us a 3-hour class/pool session in the morning. Then, the next day we dove guided by a DM/instructor in the ocean.

In Bora Bora, however, for the discovery dive, they just strapped the equipment on my wife and pushed her over board into the ocean without any training. Doh!

I think that it definitely ranges, but I hoping the experience at your school will be more like my experience rather than my wife's.