PDA

View Full Version : exploding tanks

dannybot
11-02-2007, 22:29
Check this out..
YouTube - Tank Shootout (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xx4XfFVRArQ&NR=1)

mm2002
11-10-2007, 12:25
Interesting that the shot which actually penetrated the steel tank was at the bottom, which I would think would be the strongest part.
I did learn something though.....If I'm going to be diving somewhere that people are going to be shooting at me, I definitely want a steel tank.:smiley36:

Flatliner
11-10-2007, 12:40
What a waste of two good tanks. They could have just watched the Myth Busters re-run.

diversteve
11-10-2007, 16:48
What a waste of two good tanks. They could have just watched the Myth Busters re-run.kyle did it before they did. So Adam & Jamie could've just watched the YouTube video...lol

marchand
11-10-2007, 23:22
I also thought that it is interesting how the bullet pierced the bottom of the tank and not the center portion.

Puffer Fish
11-11-2007, 07:41
I also thought that it is interesting how the bullet pierced the bottom of the tank and not the center portion.

It was at the very edge of where the bottom begins, and most likely the thinest area, as well as the area that does not need to be as thick... still was very surprized at how tough the steel tank was.

Steve Scuba
11-11-2007, 10:12
Interesting that the shot which actually penetrated the steel tank was at the bottom, which I would think would be the strongest part.
I did learn something though.....If I'm going to be diving somewhere that people are going to be shooting at me, I definitely want a steel tank.:smiley36:

LOL, definitely good advice. I'll have to try and remember that if I ever end up being hunted.

marchand
11-11-2007, 13:36
After watching the video again I noticed that the bullets that hit the center area of the tank impacted at a different angle than the one that hit the bottom. My theory is that the bullets that hit the center did not hit square, but rather at ~30 deg. angle. while the one that hit the bottom hit near square.

Another reason that might make sense is that, due to the curvature at the bottom of the tank, the metal cannot bend inward as easily as on the sides and therefore cannot absorb the impact.

quasimoto
11-12-2007, 16:01
Yep, Kyle is the god of shooting dive tanks.
BTW, the tanks that he shot didn't pass hydro. Set of chimes or shoot them?..Shoot them!

mike_s
11-12-2007, 16:27
After watching the video again I noticed that the bullets that hit the center area of the tank impacted at a different angle than the one that hit the bottom. My theory is that the bullets that hit the center did not hit square, but rather at ~30 deg. angle. while the one that hit the bottom hit near square.

30 degree angle off center huh?

hmmmm.... what about the theory that there might have been a 2nd gunman firing from the grassy knoll? :smilie39:

marchand
11-12-2007, 21:42
30 deg is a rough approximation based on the video. when they show the side impacts you can sorta see the one at the bottom and it is clearly not in line with the other two hits.

kenmendes
11-13-2007, 09:27
that was interesting but instead of wasting those tanks they could have givin them to ME!!!

quasimoto
11-13-2007, 15:43
that was interesting but instead of wasting those tanks they could have givin them to ME!!!
Wouldn't have done you any good...they failed hydro.

timgpp
11-14-2007, 20:23
i don't even have one tank. they could have had just as much fun blowing something up that wasn't as valuable, or dangerous. i am the one that my friends thinks does the stupid stuff, but i wouldn't do that. after seeing myth busters how would i know that it wouldn't come back and hit me at a million miles per hour. yes, yes i did read that this came before myth busters, but still.

kyfriedchipper
11-14-2007, 23:48
cool video

jwagner
11-15-2007, 06:25
I've seen a .223 out of an AR go into an empty O2 cylinder @ 150 yards. 30-06 had no trouble at all, nither did the .270 WSM.

Mtrewyn
11-20-2007, 12:58
the video is cool, but the one i like better is the one where they knock the valve off.... can any one say ROCKET! through a concrete block wall.

I agree they should have just given them to someone, How did they fill them if they failed hydro?!?

mcc2318
11-20-2007, 14:04
a waste of two tanks they run about 180 right now so thats $360 wasted