PDA

View Full Version : Excuses to give our local dive shop when we buy from Scuba Toys

ScubaBoy
11-03-2007, 21:37
What kind of excuses are you guys giving your LDS when you buy from Scuba Toys and show up with the stuff?

I got a new computer and told them it was a gift. I'm not sure they bought it, but I'm still in good standing with them.

RoadRacer1978
11-03-2007, 21:41
Tell them I found it at the bottom of the lake. :)

A gift is good.

How about you won it in some type of drawing/contest....

NitroWill
11-03-2007, 21:41
I dont need an excuse - I buy from them because good gear, good prices, good service - enough said - if they dont like it too bad! :)

fireflock
11-03-2007, 21:45
No excuses. Why would you need one? Good shops will wish they got the sale, but understand that sometimes customers decide to buy things somewhere else. Good shops also understand that the more diving you do the more you'll be in their shop checking out the offerings and spending money. Bad shops will get mad, throw a fit, make threats, and loose any chance at future business.

I don't make a point to mention new gear, but if they ask I'll give them my honest reasons for buying the gear. Good retailers will use that information to help decide what to carry in the shop.

Rich

RoadRacer1978
Mine has never asked, but fun to come up with crazy excuses anyways. :)

Flatliner
I am with will, but I have to admit I try not to make a big deal out of it.

Scuba-Bill
11-03-2007, 22:18
My LDS prefers it when I buy from Scuba Toys! Scuba Toys is my LDS...

Life is good. :smiley20:

bubble-head
11-04-2007, 08:19
I don't worry about excuses. You can tell them it was a gift or anything else. I usually check their price on an item and if they can't beat ST's price, oh well. You don't normally buy something at a place where service is okay but more expensive, if you can buy the same thing at another place for a lower price and great service.

DevilDiver
11-04-2007, 09:14
My LDS prefers it when I buy from Scuba Toys! Scuba Toys is my LDS...

Life is good. :smiley20:

That's what I'm talking about!!:smiley32:

thesmoothdome
11-04-2007, 09:27
Excuses for being a consumer? Never! I don't work as a hard as I do so my LDS can dictate my buying habits. Of course I'd support them if I felt that they supported me. Unfortunately in my area, the only one I have even been remotely treated the way I expect to be treated is Sport Chalet, and it's hard to consider them a LDS. The managers there will take care of you, and there's a few knowledgeable folks, but the idea that 1 person of limited experience can be alone in the dive dept. is preposterous.

Puffer Fish
11-04-2007, 10:02
What kind of excuses are you guys giving your LDS when you buy from Scuba Toys and show up with the stuff?

I got a new computer and told them it was a gift. I'm not sure they bought it, but I'm still in good standing with them.

Actually, I hope someone does ask me... as I have ST regulator bags... and you cannot miss seeing those. Oddly, they never do. But I keep hoping.

Note: while off topic.. Larry need to get a bag with your name on it, as on my last trip, there were 6 ST regulator bags, among the 20 divers.

If I was asked, it would be "because I wanted to"... last I checked, I'm in charge of where I spend my money. My tanks have a sticker from where I bought them....I have been asked, why I got them there... and as it was a polite question, I answer that the price was right...

NitroWill
11-04-2007, 10:08
[quote=ScubaBoy;86247]
Note: while off topic.. Larry need to get a bag with your name on it, as on my last trip, there were 6 ST regulator bags, among the 20 divers.

I have ran into this a couple times, all the over here in Florida too! I attached an ID card as well as some bright tape so I know exactly which one is mine :smiley20:

Tableleg
11-05-2007, 10:09
The only items I've bought at my LDS were my mask and snorkle. All the rest of the new equipment I've bought has been from ST because of their great prices and excellent customer service. The LDS is a little grumpy because of this though. Oh well, more reason to shop at ST.

caroln
11-05-2007, 12:37
I don't feel that I owe my exclusive loyalty to any one dive shop any more then I feel I need to buy all my clothes from one store, or all my cars from one dealer. I am loyal to the LDS as far as it is mutually beneficial. If the premium they charge outweighs the convenience of buying there, then I spend my money elsewhere and I don't feel guilty or like I owe an explanation to them for that.

moosicman
11-05-2007, 12:43
it can be conflicting....because i LOVE ST but i would also like someone local that i love as much...BUT my lds doesn't carry some of the things that i want.....so,,,,,,there ya have it..ST wins

RoadRacer1978
11-05-2007, 12:47
I totally agree that any LDS does not demand total loyalty for every one of our purchases, but at the same time if we do not suppot them a little we may not have a place for Scuba education. I'm not saying you have to buy anything anywhere, but if we do not support them somewhat we may find ourselves having to travel great distances to receive any training or get air fills. Just my 0.02.

Ohmdiver
11-05-2007, 16:25
Okay I am on the other side of the fence on this one. I will be secondary equipment from any web site offering My last purchase was not offered by ST.

But regs, BCD, I will gladly search and talk to my local shops. I am in a good position as there are 3 shops with in 30 min of each other. I also "work" (in the broadest terms possible) in some way or another with all of them.

I do not know what thier collective opinion is but my money, I'll spend it in the way I want. If that means I spend a bit more for something, because I feel it is "important" to me, then I am happy with that choice.

My feeling is that I am glad there are places where I can get what I want without going to a LDS.

Just my 2psi.

Silverlode
11-05-2007, 16:40

Actually, I hope someone does ask me... as I have ST regulator bags... and you cannot miss seeing those. Oddly, they never do. But I keep hoping.

If I was asked, it would be "because I wanted to"... last I checked, I'm in charge of where I spend my money. My tanks have a sticker from where I bought them....I have been asked, why I got them there... and as it was a polite question, I answer that the price was right...

www,dive-logs.com does personalised tags.

My LDS knows I look at overseas stuff, coz I complain to them about the inflated prices in Australia, which they can't do anything about. They cannot price match ST because ST's prices are below cost prices for what they get here. Someone here is making a lot of money!

I buy bits and pieces off them, hire the gears, dive with them and is considering the courses. They are not the cheapest, and I may look somewhere else for courses as well, but do wonder at the different rate LDS charges for their courses.

They are still helpful and friendly and would probably service my gears once I get them. But sometimes I do feel a some guilt at looking elsewhere.

rach
11-05-2007, 18:56
i've given my LDS loads of $$ in my certs...i don't feel bad buying what i want at a price i want all while knowing the great customer service ST provides...

scubajane
11-14-2007, 18:09
classes at the shop. limited inventory makes it easy to buy at ST

mm2002
11-16-2007, 12:44
No excuses needed. If you're worried about it, just give your LDS the opportunity to price match. If they can't (won't) then buy from ST. Simple....it's your money.

BouzoukiJoe A.K.A. wrecker130 AKA Chuck Norris AKA joeforbroke (banned)
11-16-2007, 14:38
No excuses needed. Some possible LDS reactions to your internet purchases:

1. "Just wait till you have to buy air over the net when people like you drive me out of business!"

2. "Just wait till you have a problem and find out you don't have warranty coverage."

3. <Expletives deleted>

4. "Good for you, you're going to love having your own gear"

As for #1:
It's a valid concern. Since I dive locally, I make it a point to support the LDS -- I'd like to be able to get fills. In fact, I think there may have been months when I single-handedly met the shops payroll - probably an exaggeration, but it sure felt like it. I've definitely banked up plenty of good will.

As for #2.
That's a good reason to buy only from authorized dealers (like ST!) if a warranty is important.

As for #3:
I hope the bas**** goes out of business. Nuff said.

The reaction of my LDS is #4. They believe that they are offering benefits and services that you cannot get on the net and it's up to you to decide if the price difference is worth it. For some things yes. For some things no.

TRACI
11-16-2007, 15:52
I really don't think of any excuses, I will continue to do my training with my LDS, but as far as purchasing anything from them, probably not, their prices are way too high for my budget!

BuzzF117
11-16-2007, 16:06
wait, wait, wait, I can't believe nobody has gotten this one.

I won it on ST forums for having great post....or

BSea
11-16-2007, 17:01
I'm one of those that supports my LDS. I do get pretty good deals, but in most cases I could buy it cheaper on-line. What I do buy on-line are items that my LDS doesn't carry, or miscellaneous items. I have 2 Oxycheq wings from ST. But my regs I've bought from my LDS. My Dive Rite items I get from my LDS, and they come pretty close to ST price. But they aren't a Mares dealer, so when I wanted an X-Vision mask, I got it from ST.

However, I think my LDS is an exception from most other shops. They don't get mad about my purchases outside the shop, and many times want to see my new toys.

moosicman
11-16-2007, 19:01
well, tonight sealed the deal for sure...i was gonna some of my business from my lds...but i got to looking at things tonight and i'm sorry, they are WAY too high. a nice sherwood stilletto bc with scubapro reg and octo and all for 700 bucks and i can get a WAY better deal here....i want a local relationship too..but that one is too pricey..i'm gonna have to keep looking...and i have another place to try as well:)...but scubatoys is my one and only right now and i'm ok with that...hey,,,,,how about starting a franchise out here in florida guys!!!!! pleeeeeaaaasssssseeeeee...i'll manage it for ya in PCB fl.....:)

mm2002
11-16-2007, 22:16
how about starting a franchise out here in florida guys!!!!! pleeeeeaaaasssssseeeeee...i'll manage it for ya in PCB fl.....:)

There's no way you could manage a store dude, you're a musician! By nature you're supposed to be irresponsible and immature. :smiley36:

ScubaToys Larry
11-17-2007, 05:50
how about starting a franchise out here in florida guys!!!!! pleeeeeaaaasssssseeeeee...i'll manage it for ya in PCB fl.....:)

There's no way you could manage a store dude, you're a musician! By nature you're supposed to be irresponsible and immature. :smiley36:

Um... the only reason I went to college was because I couldn't find a good bass player in high school... and after a year and a half, I dropped out to be a full time traveling road musician for 6 years... I'm actually just in Dallas because that's where the van broke down (true story). So now if you guys would just buy a little more gear from me, I'll be able to get that water pump I've been saving for and try to get home for Christmas.:smiley36:

WV Diver
11-17-2007, 06:23
I guess I'm lucky in a lot of respects. I send all of our work gear to the LDS (big bucks for him) for servicing and buy work gear from him also. This gives me the freedom of mind to buy my personal gear from Larry without feeling too guilty.

Speaking of which, I understand that some of the internet folks are starting to sell tanks through one or some of the couriers with the valves already in and a visual inspection sticker already on them. My LDS is combatting this by not recongnizing these general visual inspection stickers and only filling tanks after it has passed his visual inspection. He also started selling his tanks with 5 free air fills to keep the customers buying his tanks and frequentling his store.

Can you shed some light on this Larry?

navyhmc
11-17-2007, 06:34
I don't worry about making excuses-I have so much stuff that they just assume I've had it for a while. That and my favorite LDS is now closed and I haven't found one locally yet that I have a stable relationship with so as to worry about making any excuses.

fireflock
11-17-2007, 08:03
Speaking of which, I understand that some of the internet folks are starting to sell tanks through one or some of the couriers with the valves already in and a visual inspection sticker already on them. My LDS is combatting this by not recongnizing these general visual inspection stickers and only filling tanks after it has passed his visual inspection. He also started selling his tanks with 5 free air fills to keep the customers buying his tanks and frequentling his store.

What possible legit reason can your LDS give for refusing to fill a brand new tank with a current VIP sticker?

I'm assuming they have the valve on and a few hundred PSI of gas in them, like the tank that was shipped to me a few months ago.

Rich

awap
11-17-2007, 09:00
What possible legit reason can your LDS give for refusing to fill a brand new tank with a current VIP sticker?

I'm assuming they have the valve on and a few hundred PSI of gas in them, like the tank that was shipped to me a few months ago.

Rich

Easy: "I'm sorry but due to some counterfeit VIS sticker going around, I'm not filling any tanks with VIS stickers I don't recognise"

But then neither the customer nor the shop really need to make any excuses.

Navy OnStar
11-17-2007, 09:08
I like my LDS. Everyone there is nice and have never had a problem with me getting gear elsewhere. As my name suggests I am Military and I asked for a military discount which they said they couldn't. O.K. Fine. A Dive Shop about an hour away had the same gear for the exact same price and offered me a Military Discount. So I bought it from them. When my OW instructor saw my new gear he asked where I got it and I told him the whole story. He obvoiusly went back to the LDS and told them (he teaches there but doesn't work the store) Since gas prices prevent me from using the Military Discount LDS, because the drive would negate the savings except on large orders, I went back to my LDS to get air and try on wetsuit. Amazingly, my LDS now offers me a Military Discount. I think they learned a lesson and saw that they lost out on a big sale where they would have made some profit (not as big as they would had I paid their MSRP) and decided some profit is better than none. With the Military Discount I can get pretty close to ST prices after shipping and support the LDS as much as possible unless they don't have what I want. Then ST here I come.

OnStar

Puffer Fish
11-17-2007, 09:31
WV, I have bought tanks that came with a Vis, and to be honest, don't see anything wrong with it.

I would only buy O2 clean new tanks, and only fill my tanks with Nitrox, so there should never be an issue with contamination. (should being the operative word here)

I think this gets into the concept of "My vis is the only good vis" which seems to be driven by:

1. A way to get money.

2. An honest distrust of everyone else's inspection.

I can take you to two shops that will fill my tanks, no questions asked (and they don't have their inspection on them) and refuse to fill other peoples tanks, just because they don't have their inspection on them...

skippy11
11-18-2007, 11:06
I was burned by my LDS....I didn't know any better. I purchased my mask, fins, snorkel, etc. when I started my OW. Then, I started looking at prices. I got screwed on prices. Since then...ST is my LDS!!

Xspect
11-18-2007, 18:06
How about these...

I'm sorry I didnt know you could match ST prices?

I mistakenly thought you only sold at or above MSRP's ?

Oh I didnt realize you NEEDED me to fund your diving trip to austrialia ?

WV Diver
11-19-2007, 07:15

Rich

Easy: "I'm sorry but due to some counterfeit VIS sticker going around, I'm not filling any tanks with VIS stickers I don't recognise"

Yep, same reason my LDS gave. If he doesn't know the shop it gets vised. The underlying reason of course is to try to keep the business in the shop. But this is all secondary to the transportation issues.

I have to admit the biggest surprise for me was finding out that the DOT has all of a sudden allowed tanks to be shipped valved, with some air in them.

Anyway I think I/we have hijacked this thread long enough and need to get back on topic. Someone can always start another thread if more discussion is warranted regarding tank inspections and shipping.

fireflock
11-19-2007, 07:52
Yep, same reason my LDS gave. If he doesn't know the shop it gets vised. The underlying reason of course is to try to keep the business in the shop. But this is all secondary to the transportation issues.

That's silly - especially on a brand new tank. Imagine if every shop in Florida or North Carolina or some other drive to dive destination with a lot of visitors adopted the same policy...........

His compressor, his rules, but I would interpret that to be nothing more than a punishment fee for buying from someone else.

Rich

asaara
11-19-2007, 16:26
I have a somewhat cranky LDS. I also happen to have gear/bags with the Scubatoys name slapped all over the offending items. It's not that I never buy anything from them, they certainly see plenty of money from me for dive trips, things like wetsuits you need to try on, rental equipment as required, classes, but that's not enough for them, at least the guy that runs the shop. The instructor that actually owns it, and another one that works there that I've dealt with a lot, they couldn't care less, but the one that works there full time, that I've never seen in the water, uses all the standard lines about "those internet shops". And I've got reasonably good reasons aside from price for not buying from them.

"You expected me to already have all my equipment before I took the Rescue course. Since the first time I ever set foot in the shop was to register for it, how was I supposed to have bought it there before?"

"You don't carry that brand, and I didn't want the brand you do carry/you don't keep it in stock and would have to special order it and I wanted it faster" - also for shopping at other dive shops in the area, when I do buy locally, half the time they don't have what I want.

"I was 5000 miles away from you when I bought it, and you don't sell online!" (certainly not about to pay 14% Canadian sales tax on top of inflated prices and then get hit for 17% VAT on import even if they *would* ship it, either!) - this didn't even help any, he just grumbled and said my valid warranty wasn't when I went to get my reg serviced. In the local area, there's a Mares/Aqualung shop, a Scubapro shop, and a mostly Sherwood shop, so for that you're not generally able to shop around locally.

And one that I'd like to use after that experience, but would probably make me even less popular - "Less snarky customer service".

I have spent *plenty* of money there. Just not as much as some people who start out diving through them and take *all* their courses and buy *all* their equipment through them, and there's certainly a lot of them. It's not like they're losing money when I walk through the door!

Don't own tanks, so I don't know how they are about refilling those bought elsewhere, but I'd probably buy those locally because of the shipping and the fact that they're made in the country anyways. But the markup...gaaah.

/end rant, but will probably continue it later, elsewhere

fireflock
11-19-2007, 16:44
I've often wondered why dive shops act like this, and even more puzzling to me is why the industry as a whole doesn't do more to try and clean up this kind of behavior. Then, the other day I was searching for something and came across the Excellence in Retailing Award from a group that:

is dedicated to the belief that if the diving industry is to successfully compete against other recreational industries we must begin to function, not as separate stakeholder groups, but as a coordinated industry with one common purpose: To create happy customers who buy our products and services and continue to dive throughout their life.

Divenewswire (http://www.divenewswire.com/NewsITems.aspx?newsID=9050)

It's good to see that a group that reward the kind of shops divers are looking for.

Rich

quasimoto
11-19-2007, 19:59
I don't think you need an excuse to buy from someone else!! When I bought my BC the owner wasn't too happy with me but he didn't carry Zeagle. That was what I wanted and that was what I got. I asked him if he wanted a Rolls and he didn't have a local dealer would he go someplace else? Of course that was a horse of a different color since Rolls doesn't make dive gear. At any rate he got my point.
I ahve bought or bartered a fair amount of stuff through the LDS so I really don't know that he can complain. Also if he gave me full fills on my LP's I might consider getting more fills from him.

teog
12-25-2007, 08:59
I dont give any excuses. Its not there business where I buy my gear. If they had better prices and great customer service like ST, I would consider buying from them:smiley20:

mona
01-27-2008, 01:42
I feel guilty for purchasing State-side and considering purchasing online vs buying from my LDS. I want to support the LDS (if no one supports the place we could end up with no LDS!) but once I started to look stuff up online and noticed the price differences in the US vs Canada (on top of mark-up by LDS and taxes) I couldn't believe it.
I did use the excuse "it was a gift" when the LDS owner commented about an item he saw and knew I had recently acquired and not purchased at his shop. I kind of felt bad but I have trouble justifying spending 2+ times the money on an item.
I keep reminding myself that, as others have said, it is my money and I can spend it where I wish no explanations needed and am not obligated to buy from the LDS. I do rent tanks and get my air fills there as well as doing all my courses through them so they do get a fair share from me on top of the couple thousand+ I've already spent in gear and rentals just in the past 4 or so months.

wheelman
01-27-2008, 07:32
I'm with the others... my money my decision. I do however spend money with my LDS and online LDS. I've never had any grief from my LDS about stuff I didn't purchase there. Although over time they recognize that I do support them and give me pretty good deals.

SarahBella
01-27-2008, 07:32
The last time I was in my LDS I was there to get a tank filled and he knew I bought it on the web becuase the vip sticker was from the Southwestern US-he said nothing. I have bought a lot of stuff from him and he is a great guy. After awhile the conversation turned to the benefits of diving steel and how he dove the same type of tank I bought elsewhere.

coyote
01-27-2008, 07:35
The LDS and I have an informal “don’t ask, don’t tell” policy. I buy and dive the gear I want.
The issues arise when I do the DM thing for the shop at an OW pool session or on a trip. Students often ask questions about what gear they should buy and where. That’s a tough one, because the LDS owner is a good guy and I’d love to see his shop prosper. I try to skirt the issue a bit and stick to what to buy instead of where to buy it.
The business I do send him is almost always training. AOW, specialties, Rescue…

Goober
01-27-2008, 15:34
Well...I tell them flat out. Ever since I found the same Scupapro Fino Mask that I dive and bought from my LDS, for 24.99 at LP (mine was 69.00 from my LDS).

I wanted Apollo Bios, I called my LDS to see if they could get them. They said no, so I told them no prob, I'll get them from ST. Thanks, have a nice day.

The other day I was going to order the Bare Shorty from ST for 49.99. I called to order it, and Kyle told me they were out of that one, they had this years but it was a bit more.

The "bit more" was out of my price range (I'm gearing up for a trip and need/ want several things) so I looked to LP, found a good deal on something I liked. I called My LDS, as they carry that line, gave them the chance to beat it. I told them flat out, what I was looking at, where and for how much.

They sold me the suit I wanted for 39.95, just to get my business. I called the other day told them "hey, found a SMB that you don't carry and has the features I like, can you get it"? They said no.

I PMed Larry with the same question. He said call Joe monday to see if they have one. If they didn't they'd get one. I appreciate that type of sevice. Larry fully understands my needs as a consumer, my LDS does as well. I see no need to lie to either of them. I'm honest with them just as I am others in my life (co-workers, family, friends ect...) I can only hope that others are honest with me in return.

It's just business. Business' are in business to make money, I understand that and appreciate that. In fact I support that. As a consumer I'm trying to save money and get quality merchandise and customer service. Larry and my LDS understand and give me the impression that they appreciate this as well.

When they know what I'm doing and are understanding and down right supportive, they may loose a sale every once in a while due to price or availability but they have retained a customer for life.

DarinMartell
01-27-2008, 15:52
Well...I tell them flat out. Ever since I found the same Scupapro Fino Mask that I dive and bought from my LDS, for 24.99 at LP (mine was 69.00 from my LDS).

I wanted Apollo Bios, I called my LDS to see if they could get them. They said no, so I told them no prob, I'll get them from ST. Thanks, have a nice day.

The other day I was going to order the Bare Shorty from ST for 49.99. I called to order it, and Kyle told me they were out of that one, they had this years but it was a bit more.

The "bit more" was out of my price range (I'm gearing up for a trip and need/ want several things) so I looked to LP, found a good deal on something I liked. I called My LDS, as they carry that line, gave them the chance to beat it. I told them flat out, what I was looking at, where and for how much.

They sold me the suit I wanted for 39.95, just to get my business. I called the other day told them "hey, found a SMB that you don't carry and has the features I like, can you get it"? They said no.

I PMed Larry with the same question. He said call Joe monday to see if they have one. If they didn't they'd get one. I appreciate that type of sevice. Larry fully understands my needs as a consumer, my LDS does as well. I see no need to lie to either of them. I'm honest with them just as I am others in my life (co-workers, family, friends ect...) I can only hope that others are honest with me in return.

It's just business. Business' are in business to make money, I understand that and appreciate that. In fact I support that. As a consumer I'm trying to save money and get quality merchandise and customer service. Larry and my LDS understand and give me the impression that they appreciate this as well.

When they know what I'm doing and are understanding and down right supportive, they may loose a sale every once in a while due to price or availability but they have retained a customer for life.

Very well said, sometimes it is hard because you think you are going to hurt the LDS's feelings, but you have to remember that it's just business and if you are honest with them hopefully they will appreciate it and try to earn your business.

jeepbrew
01-27-2008, 17:42
I don't really make up excuses. My LDS has asked me where I got stuff before... such as: My ATOM, several steel 130s, pony, several regs, fins, etc - thousands of dollars worth of stuff. My response was that first off, the LDS does not keep everything I want in stock. In addition, ST ships fast (2 days to me), has great prices, awesome customer service, and I don't pay tax (nice savings right there) because they are out of state.

cutter77
01-29-2008, 03:22
...so don't have that problem....our only LDS shut down over 2 years ago. I get everything online now or from ST via my son who lives in Dallas.

Crimediver
01-29-2008, 05:52
I support my LDS when I can. I buy dive team equipment there if possible. I steer new divers to the appropriate shop and warn them about a couple of shops that will do you wrong. Now I buy my gear where I get the best deal. Sometimes my LDS, on line or used in many cases. I will not feel real bad if the shops go out of business as I own a compressor, have access to other compressors and know how to rebuild the gear I use. Seems a bit cold but those are the economic facts of life. Some of the dive shops in my area survive on the new, unsavvy divers or folks with more money than sense.

easyrider003
01-29-2008, 08:08
I don't give an excuse. I just know that the fire department does pay jack squat (I guess if they did someone else would be getting my pay check......jk) Anywho I just have to buy from whoever is the cheapest and most of the time ST is cheaper than my LDS. So really no excuses on my end

Mycroft
01-29-2008, 12:43
I research what I want, down to brand and model. Then I give my LDS first shot to aquire it for me. If he can and the price is clsoe, he gets the sale. If he declines I go elsewhere with his blessing.

pharmdaddyd
06-26-2011, 15:12
when my LDS found out i bought some things from scuba toys he threw a fit said i was screwing him out of business and this was while i was at the counter buying a pair of flippers for my son, i stopped right then and there and walked out have not been back since, and i tell everyone when i dive how i was treated at his store