PDA

View Full Version : What Did You See That Your Buddy(s) Missed?

cutter77
11-03-2007, 22:37
On my last dive I watched an Eagle Ray skim unseen over the head of a photographer that was super focused on getting a shot of a conch in a sandy area.

It made me wonder what I've missed...how about you?

kingfish
11-03-2007, 23:29
sorry, i posted much the same question in another area before i read this.
woops:smiley5:

Yesterday i missed a seal that swam between him and myself, and i was looking the other way.
He even got a pic of it with my leg in the photo.

Jas.

Cojrock
11-04-2007, 05:43
I somehow noticed a large eagle ray(might have been some other type of ray) that was circling over our dive group, i managed to get one divers attention and point it out to her but the other 3 divers missed it.
I saw bugger all sharks and rays in all my dives in Vanuatu (well was there for the wrecks so makes sense) so was glad to have seen it.

gibson1525
11-04-2007, 07:30
On my last dive I watched an Eagle Ray skim unseen over the head of a photographer that was super focused on getting a shot of a conch in a sandy area.

It made me wonder what I've missed...how about you?

i was in the exact opposite situation. i guess an eagle ray came up behind me and hovered over me while we were doing a wall dive. when i turned to look at the dive master she was flapping her arms and pointing above me, but by the time i looked it was gone. i spent the rest of the dive trying to figure out what the heck she was trying to say.

bubble-head
11-04-2007, 08:01
The dive before last, I was reeling my line in on the starboard side hull of a wreck when a giant ray swam down off the wreck and onto the seafloor ahead of me. My buddy missed the whole thing.

Puffer Fish
11-04-2007, 10:45
This on a dive... it was just at a distance, that I could see it, but he could not (this is a very enhanced image.. on the orginal, there is nothing obvious:

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j98/garinj/jewfish1.jpg

Maybe 7 ft long.

Kingpatzer
11-04-2007, 19:44
A 4' long pike decided to float along side me and use me for shelter. My buddy was above me and to the opposite side and saw nothing.

superkingkong
11-10-2007, 11:12
on my last dive, saw an eagle ray passed by. too bad, when i managed to get my buddy attention (he was looking at the other direction), the ray flew off. no luck for him :D

terrillja
11-11-2007, 12:46
I was doing a twilight dive during my AOW, and everyone was to my right, and I was staying clear of them, since a few of the people on the trip had terrible buoyancy control. on the and between some coral was a ray with a huge bite in it. I hit my light against my tank to get everyone's attention. Topside, the instructor said it looked like the bite was from about a 5' shark.

Haver realized that sharks will attack rays.

Oh, and the ray was missing its barb, so I'm guessing that a shark somewhere got nailed with a barb...

Soonerwink
11-11-2007, 14:40
A Shark!

dive buddy misses another photo op on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/14058467@N04/1971620638/)

RECDiver
11-13-2007, 19:06
When I am diving on a wall in the Caribbean, I like to take a look out into the blue, looking for eagle rays, sharks, submarines, whatever. I have seen a couple of hammerheads before that were just in visability range off the wall.

BouzoukiJoe A.K.A. wrecker130 AKA Chuck Norris AKA joeforbroke (banned)
11-14-2007, 09:03
One thing my buddy saw that I missed was a 48 ft wing span airplane. I was navigating using compass and he was our eyes. We swam under the wing and he did not point it to me. I did see it on the way back.

scubaculture
11-14-2007, 09:06
http://www.mydivinglife.com/uploads/scubaculture_raggie.jpg

Thats me in the pic busy filming another Raggie whilst that one was swimming all around me, bumped into me a few times but I just thought it was another diver. Only time I noticed it was when it swam over my head into my shot. The guy that took that pic thought I was being attacked :)

Ferrett
11-30-2007, 23:08
i missed out on the chance of finding a kershaw knife

navyhmc
12-01-2007, 00:04
I was doing a night dive in Devils Lake, WI (we had ranger permission-he went with us) and lit up a 5-6' northern pike that no one else saw. I estimated the length and the ranger said there are a few that big in the lake-no muskie though.