PDA

View Full Version : 3 boat dives in one day... How demanding is it?

davieeeee
11-04-2007, 08:14
Im planning my first 'proper' dive trip to the great barrier reef and have noticed that alot of the day trips offer a third dive on their day trips (cant stay on a liveaboard due to possible sea sickness)

Ive never actually done 3 dives in one day and all my dives have been shore dives with the exception of my Open Water.

Is a third boat dive a common thing to do or is this more for the extreme divers? I am fairly fit, and so is my partner, however she tends to get quite tired after our second shore dive. What are your opinions?

By the way the third dive wont be a night dive. It will all be done in the space of about 5 hours.

The dives will all be open water so 18 max but more likely an average of about 12.

Also, as I am planning to do as many day trips and dives as possible. What would you recommend as a maximum number of dives for a 7 day period taking into account nitrogen and time to fly etc?

davieeeee
11-04-2007, 08:16
Opps, mods please move this out of scuba gear, I thought i was in the other 'Other' section.

Kokomo
11-04-2007, 08:33
Alot depends on the depth of the dives and the bottom time. And what about currents, water temps etc. There are alot of variables here. But if it's easy warm fairly shallow diving I don't think 3 dives is unreasonable at all.

RoadRacer1978
11-04-2007, 08:40
To me boat dives are much easier than shore dives. If you can make 2 shore dives then 3 boat dives should be feasable as far as your fitness. (As long as you are not having to fight a strong current)

Illini_Fan
11-04-2007, 08:44
I don't think you'll have anything to worry about. Since you are doing boat trips (I assume from Cairns or that general area), the visibility won't be as good as what the liveaboards get, but GBR diving is pretty easy -- enjoy the reef.

Puffer Fish
11-04-2007, 09:11
Im planning my first 'proper' dive trip to the great barrier reef and have noticed that alot of the day trips offer a third dive on their day trips (cant stay on a liveaboard due to possible sea sickness)

Ive never actually done 3 dives in one day and all my dives have been shore dives with the exception of my Open Water.

Is a third boat dive a common thing to do or is this more for the extreme divers? I am fairly fit, and so is my partner, however she tends to get quite tired after our second shore dive. What are your opinions?

By the way the third dive wont be a night dive. It will all be done in the space of about 5 hours.

The dives will all be open water so 18 max but more likely an average of about 12.

Also, as I am planning to do as many day trips and dives as possible. What would you recommend as a maximum number of dives for a 7 day period taking into account nitrogen and time to fly etc?
The most common type of trip, at least around here.. is the two tank/half day dive.. it has more to do with the operation getting the maximum amount of money, in the limited weekend time frame when most want to dive.

First off, unless the dives are shallow... I don't recommend air.. but on some boats, that is the only option. If we are talking about 12 meters...then air is just fine.

Most I have made in a day - 6 dives....but as already stated, how much energy, how long the dives are and how easy the entry and exit is, all come into play. If the dives were an average of 15 meters... and they were relaxing drift dives...with an al 80 would be a easy 1 hour dive for me... with a surface interval, would not expect to get more than 4 in a day.

There is nothing wrong with someone saying that they not doing a dive....as there can be lots of other reasons besides being tired. Just dive as you feel...

Daved
11-04-2007, 09:24
If you are concerned about sea sickness--go prepared. They have patches and pills which work well--they cannot supply them on the boat.
I am not sure where you are diving out of--but it is not uncommon to have a 2 hour trip out to the reef--which can be rough. The worst part of it is the boat won't turn around.
As for the two or three dives--if after your second dive you are tired--don't go. Sit out the dive. Do a little snorkel around the boat. At most sites the reef comes very shallow--lots to see if you are not up to another dive.

ian
11-04-2007, 10:39
The most common boat trips in Southern California waters - to Catalina/Channel Islands - is the three tank boat day trip.

I DM'd aboard the Magician last Saturday for the three dives at Ship Rock, Sea Fan Grotto and Arrow Cove.

I'll be one of the DM's on the CeeRay next Saturday for three more dives!

Ian

cummings66
11-04-2007, 11:13
3 dives are a breeze, I've done up to 5 with no problems. I think you'll have a good time.

kyfriedchipper
11-04-2007, 11:20
3 dives - done it plenty - just make sure you use your tables/watch your computer for surface interval time and you are good!

MxDiver
11-04-2007, 11:24
On our trip to Cozumel we had 3 dives scheduled for a couple of days, my wife had only done her cert dives before the trip and did not have a problem doing al 3 dives, you won't have a problem.

alcedama
11-04-2007, 11:52
I just recently came back from Jamaica, the diving there is good, for the first time i did 3dives it was allright and no worries.make you start out with a good breakfast most important,

ScubaJenn81
11-04-2007, 12:54
I just recently came back from Jamaica, the diving there is good, for the first time i did 3dives it was allright and no worries.make you start out with a good breakfast most important,

Yes, good point, make sure you eat and get plenty of fluids. The sun is quite bright during the day and you do not want to get yourself ill. Then you can not dive at all.

kayak32
11-04-2007, 14:08
Since the first week when we did our OW dives we have been doing 3-6 boat dives a day. Have to get as much in as we can, good diving is limited in CO.. I agree with those that said boat diving is easier then shore diving. We were in Bonaire is Sept first trip that was all shore diving. This was much more tiring, I don't not think we did more than four dives on any given day. Between lugging your gear around and dealing with the entry and exit you get quite a workout.

I would also second the part about eating breakfast and staying hydrated.

davieeeee
11-05-2007, 07:09
You guys rock =)
The comments and suggestions have made me more confident about getting in as many dives as possible ehehhe
Very good point about the breakfast and hydration too.

cgvmer
11-05-2007, 08:34
This summer my 14yr old son and I did 3 dives in St Thomas, 2 wrecks then a drift dive and had a great time. The boat had plenty to drink on board and the 3 tank trip came with lunch which we enjoyed while we dropped the other divers that only signed up for 2 that day.

bversteegh
11-05-2007, 20:26
3 dives/day is very doable - lots of liveaboards offer 4 or 5. Last trip I did 46 dives in 11 days, and 50 is a lot closer than 40:smiley5:

As far as sea sickness - get the scopolamine patch from your doctor, they are great. Any seasickness med works better if already in your system before you get on the boat. If you don't have time to get to your doctor, Bonine works well (take it about 2 hours before you get on the boat).

Finally, if you can handle a 2 hour boat dive without getting sick, a liveaboard is much more stable - doubt you would have any problem. Liveaboards Rock!!

scubajane
11-14-2007, 18:17
I have done 4 dives in 1 day. i did 2 am dives and then 2 afternoon dives. It was great fun. I slept really well that night. It was also our 5th day of diving. 2 dives a day until day 5. Ibuprophen helps.

teog
12-25-2007, 08:56
3 dives a day for 1 or 2 days Im good for. About the third day Im done. This also including staying up late each night and site seeing where ever your at.

wheelman
12-25-2007, 09:35
3 dives a day is no problem. Enjoy!

cheebaweebie
12-25-2007, 12:05
My boy and I did 7 dives 2 weeks ago in one day. from 6:30 am till 7:30 PM. I had 5 tanks 2 air and 3 nitrox at 32% mix. My steel 120's (Air) I split up into 2 dives a piece burining 1800 lbs per dive. all dives were in the 40 to 30 ft range spearing off st.pete florida. I was tired by the time we hit the dock. but we brought in a whole bunch of fish.

reeldive
12-25-2007, 12:46
WE do a lot of three tank trips around here on private boats, mine is one of them. Most dives are 18 - 25 meters water temps range from 85 f down to 59 f in the winter. Current is mild to moderate. Most are wreck dives and bottom times up to 40 min. depending on depth an SI, SI's are 1+ hrs. all on air. By the time we get the boat and gear washed and wash it all down with a couple of beers. you are ready for a good nights sleep for sure. Usually twice a week. I've done this two days in a row but that really takes it out of me and need a day or two to recover.

CODMAN
12-29-2007, 10:48
I did a week diving in Roatan last year where the standard is 3 boat dives a day. I did 3-4 dives a day (each about 1 hour) for 6 consecutive days and was fine (but notheless tired at the end of the day). The diving was easy, warm, no current. And in my oppinion, what really helped, was we were exclusively using Nitrox(EAN32)!!! For both me, and my girlfriend, diving Nitrox makes a world of difference on how we feel after a dive (and yes, I know it isn't supposed to make a difference!:smilie40:). We felt better/ less tired after 4 dives in a day on Nitrox, than we did the year before doing 2 dives on air in the Turks & Caicos. Coincidence? Maybe... Maybe not... You accumulate less Nitrogen, especially if you dive it using regular air tables. I would highly recommend to you to do the course and Use Nitrox on your trip, especially if you want to dive your brains out!:smiley20: Less Nitrogen is always a good thing.

Cheers!

cutter77
01-08-2008, 22:55
[QUOTE=kayak32;86599] I agree with those that said boat diving is easier then shore diving. We were in Bonaire is Sept first trip that was all shore diving. This was much more tiring, I don't not think we did more than four dives on any given day. Between lugging your gear around and dealing with the entry and exit you get quite a workout."

CompuDude
01-08-2008, 23:42
I'll add my voice to the chorus, boat diving is a lot easier than shore diving. 3 dive boat trips are standard around here... when I see 2-dive trips advertised at dive destinations, I always have to ask myself what the point of a dive vacation is if you're only getting 2 dives per day!

Seriously, though, 3 dives from a boat is easy. 3 dives form the shore is more challenging, since it's usually a long walk back to the car with a lot of heavy gear on... each time.

After 5 dives a day on a liveaboard, THAT'S when it starts to be more of a marathon (although I love it!).

I will say that conditions do play into how easy it is. Dive very cold water in very cold weather in lousy conditions on a smallish boat, and those 3 dives are going to be a lot more challenging than 4 dives in paradise on a largish boat. Diving the GBR, however, you're definitely in the easy category.

CompuDude
01-08-2008, 23:44
The most common boat trips in Southern California waters - to Catalina/Channel Islands - is the three tank boat day trip.

I DM'd aboard the Magician last Saturday for the three dives at Ship Rock, Sea Fan Grotto and Arrow Cove.

I'll be one of the DM's on the CeeRay next Saturday for three more dives!

Ian

Ian, you DM for the Magician? One of my favorite local boats! I'll try to remember to drop you a line when I get back in town (I'm going on vacation for 2 weeks, so no SoCal diving until I return) to see if we can meet up sometime.

azdiver
01-19-2008, 16:48
most of the trips i go on include 3 boat dives/daily. no problemo!!

setesh
01-20-2008, 00:01
I'm a somewhat fat, somewhat lazy computer tech and I have no problems at all unless there are strong currents.

Edit: That was actually only 2 dives, but I could easily have done another 2, and wanted to!

comet24
01-20-2008, 08:02
Depends on the dive profiles and the conditions. No one wants to spend a surface interval bouncing around in a small boat. I have done 5 dives in a day for multiply days on a live aboard. But then I didn't have to wrestle my gear around after each dive and also had a nice place to relax between dive with drinks and food. Also done 4 dives in the Keys two in the AM on a boat and two in the pm on another boat. Not as easy and nice as on a live aboard but doable.

azdiver
01-20-2008, 09:11
If you're going to a dive resort it's almost as carefree as doing a live aboard. At most of then, you bring you gear (some of them even pick up in front of your room) to the boat on the first day and don't have to dwal with it until your last day of diving when you take it off the boat.