PDA

View Full Version : Where is the common courtesy?

PsychDiver
11-04-2007, 10:37
A few weeks ago I was running a class of OW students. We did dive #1 on a Friday. I had placed a buoy in the center of the platform. I left it over night. When I arrived at the scuba park on Saturday, my students were the first in line. A truck pulled up. I approached them and told them I would move my class since they were also running a class. I told them they could use my buoy if they wanted. My group moved to be polite. As we started to make the first dive, I noticed my buoy floating off across the lake. After retrieving it I confronted the other group and the instructor told me he let it loose because it was a hazard to his divers. I told him not a problem if he thought it was a hazard but he should have tied it off to the side. He was arrogant and rude about it. He also untied a navigation line (put there by the park) that was between two platforms and let it loose in the water. What course do you think I should take with this?

NitroWill
11-04-2007, 10:38
Report it to the park. Theres no reason to untie lines like that - especially if some are put their by the park and are used for navigation purposes.

Puffer Fish
11-04-2007, 10:49
I would let it go...you are obviously a far better person than the jerk you were dealing with..just keep in mind they have to go thru life being like that, whereas, you just had accidental contact.

PsychDiver
11-04-2007, 10:53
I am the kind to let it go. But others are telling me that he should be reported to his certifying agency.

cummings66
11-04-2007, 11:02
I think that would be extreme, its a judgement call and he thinks lines are dangerous. Truth told they can be if a diver is caught unaware, not sure how that can happen but...

NitroWill
11-04-2007, 11:04
Reporting to the certyfying agency might be a little harsh, but I would definitely let the park know about what he is doing. He has no right to move anything they have put in places - chances are its there for a reason!

Zenagirl
11-04-2007, 13:35
I'd let the personal stuff with the buoy go, but I'd report him to the park for untying the nagivation line.

ScubaGir1
11-04-2007, 13:49
Wow, how rude! I'm surprised he being a dive instructor would do something like that!

Not sure if you can really do much about the buoy, but I'd report him to the park about the nav. line.

mitsuguy
11-04-2007, 13:50
I'd let the personal stuff with the buoy go, but I'd report him to the park for untying the nagivation line.

I agree... however, it makes me mad to have people like this in our sport... people like this, hopefully, don't show this side to others outside the sport - don't want it giving us a bad name... I imagine its bad for his trainees as well...

RoadRacer1978
11-04-2007, 14:01
What a jerk. If he didn't want to use your buoy he should have said something from the beginning, not just released it. It was not his to release. He also has no reason to remore a Nav. line put in place by the park service. Usually those lines are taught and from my experience are not a real threat for entanglement, bucause they are pulled tight. Once he released once end, he created more of a hazard than was there to start with. Report him, maybe the park will ban him from using their facilities. None of us should have to put up with a jerk like that. We do this sport because it if fun. Having to deal with a person like that just takes the fun out of it for all of us.

PsychDiver
11-04-2007, 14:14
When I went to confront him, I had first gone to the park manager and asked him if he had requested the line and buoy be moved. He said no and went with me to the instructor. And yes after he untied them, there were two lines floating free in the water, which I considered to be a hazard. I had no problem with him believing that it was a safety hazard. I don't think that, but he is the instructor with his course and if he wanted to move it to the side or take it to shore, I would have had no problem with that. It was that he just let it go and didn't tell me or even care about others at the site.

RoadRacer1978
11-04-2007, 14:19
Exactly. If he believed it was a threat to his students, why not just bring it to the shore and leave it there for you. He knew it belonged to you as you told him that from the beginning. To just untie it and release it to float away is very rude. I am ashamed that we have people in the dive industry that would treat each other this way, but as in life you get a few bad apples every now and then.

comet24
11-04-2007, 14:48
I would tall the someone at the park and let them know. Undoing a navigation line because it's a hazard makes no sense. The loose line will be a much greater entanglement hazard now then before.

moosicman
11-04-2007, 14:59
I would definitly tell someone at the park about it. And i would then TELL the jerk that my next step would be to report him to his Cert. Agency if he gave me ONE MORE WORD OF LIP or caused ONE MORE OUNCE of trouble (but i would only do that after he didn't swallow his pride-but see, i'm a jerk, so you may not want to do that..LOL).

ps....i'm not really a jerk....:):):)