PDA

View Full Version : ScubaPro Jet fins vs Slipstreams vs split fins?

Aric
11-04-2007, 17:47
The only fin ive ever used has been the scubapro twin jet fins and I feel like that dont have much thrust when I kick, especially when I frog kick. Are the jet fins and slipstream fins better and give more thrust when kicking. Any opinions on the two?

NitroWill
11-04-2007, 18:03
I have seen and heard from many people that have dove both fins and it seems the basic opinions I have heard are the OMS have a more comfortable foot pocket and are not as heavy as the jets. maybe someone can give you a little bit more detailed opinions!

divingbuddy
11-04-2007, 18:36
I once owned a pair of Twin Jets - not a bad fin but when I switched to a drysuit I wasn't very fond of how the split fins performed. I found frog kicking rather difficult, and overall propulsion somewhat lacking.

When I switched to the OMS Slipstream, I was greatly surprised at how comfortable the foot pocket was, how much lighter they were than the Twin Jets, and how much easier it was to execute a variety of different kicks (frog kick and back kick included).

Try a pair before you buy if you can, but I was impressed with the Slipstreams.

Just my two cents...Cheers!

wheelman
11-04-2007, 18:44
Thanks for the info, I am currently diving with the sp twin jets as well. I might look at the OMS stuff too...

Bigg_Budd
11-04-2007, 18:47
I dive Twin Jets and Jets. The Jets are better fro the frog kick. Although they are pretty rigid, and not as pliable as the TJs, I've found that I prefer the Jets. They are pretty much all I wear now. My TJs are bright yellow, and are good for low viz, but that's the only reason I still wear them...

CompuDude
11-04-2007, 19:43
Jets and Slipstream are nearly identical, except for a few details. Side by sad, except for the "SlipStream" name plate on the OMS fins, you'd be hard pressed to tell them apart from 5' away.

The SlipStreams are lighter, on land and in the water. If you are currently wearing a negative fin, you'll be more familiar with the trim characteristics of the Jets. If you're currently wearing a neutral or positively buoyant fin, you'll be better trimmed with the SlipStreams. (If you are currently heavy-footed or heavy-headed in the water, having a lighter or heavier fin may help.)

The SlipStreams are stiffer, although only a little. All of the technical kicks work great with either... I personally feel the SlipStreams don't give quite as much feedback as the Jets. But it's a minor amount.

SlipStreams travel better, due to weight restrictions and their lower weight.

The jury is out on which fin will last longer... Jetfins have a 40 year history to back them up, so you know they'll last a good long time. The SlipStreams seem pretty tough, but it's too early to know for sure.

floater
11-04-2007, 19:59
I've used both XL jets and XL slipstream fins. The slips are about 25% lighter (less than 1# difference v. jets for a pair) on land, though they feel significantly lighter. They are also stiffer and hence bend less when frog kicking. Myy air consumption, trust and maneuverability wwere about the same on both jets and slips. The pockets on them are also the same, except 1/2" deeper on the slips (I think the monoprene is thinner than the rubber SP uses), both are uncomfortable. My theory is that people just find them more comfortable because the fins themselves are lighter to kick. I don't think one is better than the other beyond personal preference. Do you want heavy, negatively buoyant fins or lighter, about neutrally buoyant fins?

Aric
11-05-2007, 11:17
I do have some problems when im staying still, my legs want to go down. So the slipstreams are good? I dont have any dive shops around here that carry them but I can get them cheaper online with spring straps then just the scubapro jet fins from my LDS. Should I go with slipstreams?

Netsloth
11-05-2007, 11:40
Used to wear Jets, now own Slipstreams. The OMS fins are lighter and stiffer, and WAY more comfortable on my feet.

CompuDude
11-05-2007, 12:45
I do have some problems when im staying still, my legs want to go down. So the slipstreams are good? I dont have any dive shops around here that carry them but I can get them cheaper online with spring straps then just the scubapro jet fins from my LDS. Should I go with slipstreams?

If you have heavy feet, a lighter fin will help. There are other things that should be explored as well, of course.

One thing to note, if you are coming from split fins, be aware that the flutter kick that is perfect for splits is LOUSY with stiff paddle fins (Jets and slipstreams, both). You'll want to use the frog kick for best efficiency.

CaribbeanDiver
11-14-2007, 12:13
One thing to note, if you are coming from split fins, be aware that the flutter kick that is perfect for splits is LOUSY with stiff paddle fins (Jets and slipstreams, both). You'll want to use the frog kick for best efficiency.I do not find this to be true at all. perhaps this is a personal thing but I used Tusa X-pert Zooms then switched to SP Jets and XS Scuba Power Fins. I liked both of the non-splits over the zooms and found that my proficiency when during the flutter or modified flutter was significantly better. I just got some OMS Slipstreams and will be trying them in Bonaire.
I expect the Slipsteams to be comparable to the Jets and Power fins but I think the positive buoyancy characteristics will be a nice change.