PDA

View Full Version : Princeton Tec Shockwave II vs. Shockwave LED

rfreddo
11-04-2007, 17:57
Any head-to-head comparisons or observations on either? Looking to acquire a primary before my AOW class next weekend and have narrowed it to these two as they are both sold in a nice package at ST.

rach
11-04-2007, 19:22
i have the shockwave II (couldn't afford LED at the time)...love it! they make a great light that isn't HUGE...the II has never failed me...you've got an endorsement here! :smiley20:

missnumnutz
11-04-2007, 19:27
i have the shockwave II (couldn't afford LED at the time)...love it! they make a great light that isn't HUGE...the II has never failed me...you've got an endorsement here!

my buddy and i have just bought the LED pack from ST! still waiting to head and try it! will let you know how it goes! :smilie40:

FishFood
11-04-2007, 19:35
If the price difference isnt an issue, LED is the much better choice. Brighter, and better battery life.

Soonerwink
11-04-2007, 20:08
I have the PT led and love it. I had it in the trunk of my car and there was a stoller back there also. Long story short, I didn't have the light locked in the off position and the stroller rolled into it and turned it on. I didn't open the trunk till 14 hrs later and light was on. It still seemed bright to me so I went ahead and took it on my dives at Tenkiller. I made 2 dives about 45 min. each with light burning entire time and I still had the brightest light in our group of 4. I think you will save the difference in price on batteries and bulbs.

terrillja
11-04-2007, 21:53
I have the LED kit, I love it, very durable. I would recommend that you buy the LED kit if you can, LEDs are much more durable in regards to vibration. Never had any problems, my dad has the exact same thing.

davieeeee
11-05-2007, 07:01
I just bought the LED. havent dived with it yet, but it looks ohhh so nice in my hands heheheheheeee

rfreddo
11-06-2007, 22:48
Don't know why I even bothered asking for a comparison. I should have known that as soon as I walked into ST and played around with the various options for a while I'd be leaving with the LED kit. Well, that's just what I did. Can't wait to try it out this weekend during AOW class! Woohoo!!

mike_s
11-07-2007, 09:45
If I had to buy again, I would assume that I'd get the LED one, but, I don't night dive that much so it really doesn't matter.

LED might be brighter and will definately run a longer battery life.

I already had the Shockwave II and it works fine and battery consumption is ok. I wouldn't go to the extra expense of spending money again to get the LED version.

However, I've had mixed reviews about the PrincetonTec lights. I've had about 4 of them fail and needed to send back to the manufacturer.

1 was LED bulb blinked (wasn't soldered in good).
1 was a Tec 40 just broke in half in very cold weather.
2 were pocket lights that just quit working. (wasn't the bulb, but they just quit. I think it was the switch).

That's a pretty high failure rate for their product as seen by a consumer. However, I will say that I sent them back for warranty since they have a lifetime warranty and they replaced every one of them very quickly. I sent them back w/o batteries to save postage weight and every one came back with new batteries in it also. So they went the extra step there...

superkingkong
11-08-2007, 17:00
BTW, for the non-led version, how long/frequent do you have to replace the bulb?
thanks.

mike_s
11-08-2007, 21:32
BTW, for the non-led version, how long/frequent do you have to replace the bulb?
thanks.

I've never had to replace mine... but I don't have but maybe 10 night dives on it....

superkingkong
11-09-2007, 16:17
thanks.

I've never had to replace mine... but I don't have but maybe 10 night dives on it....

i see, thanks.

the reason i ask is that there seems to be a lamp life for those bulbs... :smiley13:

bvav
11-22-2007, 20:11
I have the PT LED and really like it. It's never given me any problems. It's great for really illuminating the haze in Lake Travis.

mike_s
11-23-2007, 10:50
thanks.

i see, thanks.

the reason i ask is that there seems to be a lamp life for those bulbs... :smiley13:

I should really get a spare bulb for it for the save-a-dive-kit, but I doubt most folks carry these. (not even sure where to get them as I've never seen a dive shop selling spare bulbs for them).

superkingkong
11-23-2007, 15:45
thanks.

i see, thanks.

I should really get a spare bulb for it for the save-a-dive-kit, but I doubt most folks carry these. (not even sure where to get them as I've never seen a dive shop selling spare bulbs for them).

i guess ST should have them...