PDA

View Full Version : Female looking for a good BC - designed for either men or women.

waterprincess
11-05-2007, 04:22
I am a female diver looking for a new BC. I like the warranty on the Zeagle. but I like a BC that will keep me floating on my back and not tipping forward on the surface. I like tucking my gauges under the cummerband, and need lots of metal loops to attach accessories to. (3 or 4) Having worked in the industry for a while (returning after having 2 babies), I never found a BC that lasted longer than a year. I want something that is going to last, has plenty of lift on the surface, and I must admit, I really enjoyed having air all around me in the bladders (not just on a back inflate. I also want a BC that fits the tank, in a manner that I am not always hitting my head. I was looking at the Zeagle Ranger or the Brigade - any thoughts? The zipper on the Zena is very offputting, since zippers don't last that long.:smiley36:

Aussie
11-05-2007, 04:42
I am a female diver looking for a new BC. I like the warranty on the Zeagle. but I like a BC that will keep me floating on my back and not tipping forward on the surface. I like tucking my gauges under the cummerband, and need lots of metal loops to attach accessories to. (3 or 4) Having worked in the industry for a while (returning after having 2 babies), I never found a BC that lasted longer than a year. I want something that is going to last, has plenty of lift on the surface, and I must admit, I really enjoyed having air all around me in the bladders (not just on a back inflate. I also want a BC that fits the tank, in a manner that I am not always hitting my head. I was looking at the Zeagle Ranger or the Brigade - any thoughts? The zipper on the Zena is very offputting, since zippers don't last that long.:smiley36:

Have you looked at a Backplate and wing? I have dived my current setup almost everyday for the last 4-5 years and it is still going strong (wing a little bit faded).
I dont really know why you want plenty of lift on the surface. I have a 35lbs wing and it does me well (i am 6'2 and 275lbs). The whole idea of lift is what you need underwater. The more lift that you dont really need just adds drag.
If you need lots of metal loops, the harness can have as many D-rings as you like for hanging things on
As for the tank hitting the back of your head, it comes simply down to the position of the BCD/BPW on the tank itself (move the bcd/bpw up the tank).

If the backplate isnt your thing I would go with the Brigade. Small wing and all you need. It will also last more than a year.

Aussie

Zenagirl
11-05-2007, 08:23
If you're interested in Zeagles, you could also consider the LaZer. It's designed for a woman and is very similar to a Stilletto. However, if you want a quality BC that is made for a woman, has a cumberbun, and isn't back inflate, why don't you look at the SeaQuest Diva or Oceanic Hera? Both are considered "hybrids" and claim to have the best of both back inflate and jacket incorporated into them. The SeaQuest Diva is a very popular BC with women and I know ladies who consider them "bulletproof" in construction.

From what you describe the Zena isn't even close to what you like, but just for your information alone, ScottZeagle reported that they've never had one returned for a zipper repair/failure.

Netsloth
11-05-2007, 08:51
Second the backplate and wing. You could add as many pockets and D-Rings as you can physically fit on it. The platform is totally configurable and comfortable.

mitsuguy
11-05-2007, 09:59
wow, you guys are relentless on your bp/w suggestions... some people just DON'T want them, as this poster does not...

having said that, find the review of the Tusa Reef Tourer Conquest in this section- my wife loves hers, though it might not have enough d-rings for you - it is constructed excellently...

Netsloth
11-05-2007, 10:08
wow, you guys are relentless on your bp/w suggestions... some people just DON'T want them, as this poster does not...

having said that, find the review of the Tusa Reef Tourer Conquest in this section- my wife loves hers, though it might not have enough d-rings for you - it is constructed excellently...

Mitsu, have you heard the good news about Backplate and Wing Technology? Have you accepted the BP/W as your personal bouyancy compensation, or are you lost to the ways of the BC?

Did you know that the BP/W loves you unconditionally and that it was designed to save your life, in a perfectly utilitarian fashion?

:smiley31:

mitsuguy
11-05-2007, 10:21
Mitsu, have you heard the good news about Backplate and Wing Technology? Have you accepted the BP/W as your personal bouyancy compensation, or are you lost to the ways of the BC?

Did you know that the BP/W loves you unconditionally and that it was designed to save your life, in a perfectly utilitarian fashion?

lol... I swear I feel like I'm at some religious meeting sometimes, the catholics are the jacket bc's, the christians are the back inflates, and the mormons are the bp/w's catholics and christians are ok knowing they are the "standard" whereas mormons (no offense, I have some family that is mormon), think they are the best and are CONSTANTLY trying to convert others... :smiley36:

personally, I have nothing against a BP/W, but I like the travel size back inflate I just bought - it works great for me... and my wife prefers the jacket as does the OP of this thread... all three are valid options - and unfortunately, the bp/w doesn't fulfill the OP's requirements....

now, back to the topic at hand...

Zenagirl
11-05-2007, 17:18
mitsuguy, you aren't the only one who gets sick of the "BP/W mantra"....and you aren't the only one who doesn't have (or want) a BP/W. I actually don't want one and wouldn't buy one unless I were going tech and into doubles. I find them uncomfortable and by the time I would add padding, integrated weights, and get rid of the crotch strap, I might as well have bought a regular BC.

This is one thread where I think advocating a BP/W as an option is inappropriate. The OP said they like having an air cell that wraps around her....which screams of a jacket BC to me.

Chad
11-05-2007, 17:33

The funniest thing I read all day. :smilie39::smilie39::smilie39:

Netsloth
11-05-2007, 17:40
mitsuguy, you aren't the only one who gets sick of the "BP/W mantra"....and you aren't the only one who doesn't have (or want) a BP/W. I actually don't want one and wouldn't buy one unless I were going tech and into doubles. I find them uncomfortable and by the time I would add padding, integrated weights, and get rid of the crotch strap, I might as well have bought a regular BC.

This is one thread where I think advocating a BP/W as an option is inappropriate. The OP said they like having an air cell that wraps around her....which screams of a jacket BC to me.

I will apologize here. I didn't intend to derail the thread. I'll plead enthusiasm, and admit that I didn't read carefully enough the original post to realize that the requirements disqualified a BP/W.

Splitlip
11-05-2007, 17:43
My daughter is using an Aeris Atmos XT.
It is a "Hybrid". Back inflation with the fully inflated bladder wrapping her waist for upright floatation at the surface.
http://www.scubatoys.com/store/bcds/pics/Aeris/AtmosXTBCD.jpg (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?product_id=AerisXTBCD)
She is a new diver, but likes it better than a BP/W

From ST site
The Aeris Atmos XT BCD offers multiple adjustment and attachment points, allowing customization of the B/C specific to the divers needs. The ATMOS XT is weight-integrated with a combination of dump-able (24 lbs) and non-dumpable (10 lbs) weight pockets, providing the diver an integrated weight capacity of 34 lbs.

Aeris Atmox XT Key Features:
• Large, uniquely shaped rear-inflation bladder - Provides maximum amount of lift
• Wrap-around air lobes on each side allow for an upright position when on the surface
• Weigh-integrated - Dumpable and non-dumpable pockets easily accommodate up to 34 lbs of weight
• Three (3) over pressure relief valves optimize buoyancy control.
• Padded backpack with handle
• ScotchliteŽ reflectors
• Multiple adjustment and attachment points

Foo2
11-05-2007, 18:40
My mom has the Mares Kaila (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?product_id=KailaBC). She loves it.

Disneymom
11-05-2007, 20:58
I know you're getting lots of suggestions here, but here's what I use:
Genesis Athena BCD, BCDS: Women, Genesis, Genesis Athena BCD (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=Athena)

It has a depth compensating cummerbund, has D rings and female connectors so you have plenty of places for accessories. I've found it very comfortable - of all the BCD's I tried on when shopping it was second only to the Zena for comfort, and equally comfortable in use.

Zenagirl
11-05-2007, 21:15
I will apologize here. I didn't intend to derail the thread. I'll plead enthusiasm, and admit that I didn't read carefully enough the original post to realize that the requirements disqualified a BP/W.

You show a lot of class...thanks.

jwdizney
11-06-2007, 22:33
not because i'm biased or anything, or that Disneymom is my SO, but this is a really great BC, with mostly back inflate, but jacket style lift, ditchable weights, and curved for the ladies....
http://forum.scubatoys.com/used-stuff-sale/3614-genesis-athena-womens-bcd-medium.html

(plus, I know it's pretty negotiable.. it's a brand new BC with maybe a 10 freshwater dives! like brand new!)

Oceanicdb
11-08-2007, 08:46
Ok...Not going to claim I am not biased or anything but check out the Oceanic HERA or the AERIS Contour ladies BC. Hybrid cell is very compfortable, great lift and lots of adjustment in the sizes.

Oceanic Worldwide - Scuba Diving Buoyancy Compensators - Hera Women's-Specific (http://www.oceanicworldwide.com/p_bcs_hera.html)

Darryl

waterprincess
11-20-2007, 12:26
Thank you everyone for your posts, lots of good info - I have to make a decision soon and this has really helped. I love the back and forth discussion.

CaribbeanDiver
11-20-2007, 13:21
I am a female diver looking for a new BC. I like the warranty on the Zeagle. but I like a BC that will keep me floating on my back and not tipping forward on the surface. I like tucking my gauges under the cummerband, and need lots of metal loops to attach accessories to. (3 or 4) Having worked in the industry for a while (returning after having 2 babies), I never found a BC that lasted longer than a year. I want something that is going to last, has plenty of lift on the surface, and I must admit, I really enjoyed having air all around me in the bladders (not just on a back inflate. I also want a BC that fits the tank, in a manner that I am not always hitting my head. I was looking at the Zeagle Ranger or the Brigade - any thoughts? The zipper on the Zena is very offputting, since zippers don't last that long.:smiley36:wow, what in the world do you do to your BCDs that they only last a year? And if you describe a jacket style as the type you like best, why are you looking at the Ranger or Brigade?
this may sound as if I am on commission or at least employed by the good guys, but give Larry or Joe a call, describe what style/type you want and mention a price range. they will offer a few options for you and likely give you the pros and cons of each.

MSilvia
11-20-2007, 13:50
if you describe a jacket style as the type you like best, why are you looking at the Ranger or Brigade?
Good question... since neither of those is a jacket, obviously a jacket isn't what you're really looking for.

MissyB
11-27-2007, 17:10
hi!
I am a fairly new diver, but I have been using the Sherwood Luna, and I love it. It is very adjustable and comfortable. The cummerbund has adjustments in the back as well as the front. The bladder inflates around comfortably. I am a bit broad shouldered, and it fits me well; I am wearing a medium. It has places for attachments. I have a console clip and an octopus clip. I could add more if I wanted to. It has 2 tank loops and a height loop that is easily adjusted. I like mine a lot!
Marie

waterprincess
11-30-2007, 03:07
I am a female diver looking for a new BC. I like the warranty on the Zeagle. but I like a BC that will keep me floating on my back and not tipping forward on the surface. I like tucking my gauges under the cummerband, and need lots of metal loops to attach accessories to. (3 or 4) Having worked in the industry for a while (returning after having 2 babies), I never found a BC that lasted longer than a year. I want something that is going to last, has plenty of lift on the surface, and I must admit, I really enjoyed having air all around me in the bladders (not just on a back inflate. I also want a BC that fits the tank, in a manner that I am not always hitting my head. I was looking at the Zeagle Ranger or the Brigade - any thoughts? The zipper on the Zena is very offputting, since zippers don't last that long.:smiley36:wow, what in the world do you do to your BCDs that they only last a year? And if you describe a jacket style as the type you like best, why are you looking at the Ranger or Brigade?
this may sound as if I am on commission or at least employed by the good guys, but give Larry or Joe a call, describe what style/type you want and mention a price range. they will offer a few options for you and likely give you the pros and cons of each.
Well, I was working in the industry, doing up to 7 dives a day (shallow water), diving with dolphins in Eilat, or working in the Caymans (3 - 4 dives a day), Solomons (2 dives a day +) etc, and I never had a BC that lasted longer than a year. I am looking at a back inflate, since I need to be openminded. I first certified using a horse collar, so I want to at least consider something different. I was looking for opinions and I got plenty.
thank you everyone.