PDA

View Full Version : HydroOptix Mask

Lowrider
11-05-2007, 05:40
I was surfing the web and came across the HydroOptix mask, their marketing material seems to make sense, anyone ever try this mask before? It is very pricey.

Scuba Masks by HydroOptix -- Home (http://www.hydrooptix.com/index2.html)

ScubaToys Larry
11-05-2007, 05:54
Oh yea... We carry them: HydroOptix Mega 4.5 DD Mask, Dive Masks, HydroOptix, HydroOptix Mega 4.5 DD Mask (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=Hydrooptix)

And as far as expensive.. really no different price than if you needed to get custom ground lenses for a mask. So it really probably depends on vision. If you can wear them - have that -3.5 to -4.5 vision - they are pretty incredible. If not, I am not going to put in contacts to make my eyes bad enough to wear a hydro optix mask... but I know some people who do!

So I'd say it depends on your vision.

Tableleg
11-05-2007, 09:15
I'd learn to put in contacts to try this mask out. The sales pitch definitely has me interested as to how much more you see.

This may be a silly question for some of you, but how hard it is to put in contacts? I've never had to but would be willing to learn if it ment having that much more field of vision underwater.

hychang
11-10-2007, 21:52
I have a HydroOptix mask and I love it. I may buy another from ST for a back-up mask when I finally reach the magical 250th post!! I wear glasses as I'm near-sighted and the mask is awesome. I bought a mask with prescription lenses in them and the flat lenses' tunnel vision made me feel closed in. The HydroOptix and the great Peripheral vision makes me feel more comfortable with it in the water. I will very, very reluctantly use my other mask after diving with the HydroOptix. Try and you'll never want to use any other mask (yeah, I know I sound like a commercial. It as good as they say!). I know my optometrist has two of the masks himself. He's a diver and an authorized dealer for the masks, which was great for me.

I was surfing the web and came across the HydroOptix mask, their marketing material seems to make sense, anyone ever try this mask before? It is very pricey.

Scuba Masks by HydroOptix -- Home (http://www.hydrooptix.com/index2.html)

Puffer Fish
11-11-2007, 09:55
I'd learn to put in contacts to try this mask out. The sales pitch definitely has me interested as to how much more you see.

This may be a silly question for some of you, but how hard it is to put in contacts? I've never had to but would be willing to learn if it ment having that much more field of vision underwater.

Not difficult at all, but the type of prescription and the amount have a lot to do with how comfortable they are.

People who are near sighted (like me) need a correction that is thick at the edge and thin in the middle... which means there is a thick edge for you eye lid to go over. Stronger the prescription, the bigger the edge.

To make your eyes near sighted, you need the opposite, which is thin at the outside edge and thicker in the middle, much easier on the eyes.

However, I have one, and would not put contacts in to use one, but that is just me.

CaribbeanDiver
11-14-2007, 12:27
two questions: first, isnt the hydrooptix mask rather large which means it has a large volume of water when filled therefore much harder to clear?
and second, is it difficult to see clearly when not in the water and wouldnt that mean you have to walk on shore or the boat without the mask and only don it immediately before submerging?
I like the concept but I do not see me putting some little glass things in my eyes so I can use it.

PlatypusMan
11-14-2007, 21:40
two questions: first, isnt the hydrooptix mask rather large which means it has a large volume of water when filled therefore much harder to clear?

I own and dive the HydroOptix.

It is a big mask, but I have no trouble clearing it. In fact, I sealed up the two purge valves on mine with Aquaseal so I could purge it the old-fashioned way I'm used to. When I get another one, I may reconsider doing the same with the new one, but it works for me.

and second, is it difficult to see clearly when not in the water and wouldnt that mean you have to walk on shore or the boat without the mask and only don it immediately before submerging?

Check out this link on their site, and you'll see how you get around this as a near-sighted person (like me) with a clip-on that comes with the mask:

Diving Masks by HydroOptix -- Products -- 4.5DD Overview (http://www.hydrooptix.com/ps_45dd_coverlens.html)

There's even a video on that page so you can see it in action. Yes, you look a bit funny to everyone else, and it is a bit like looking through a porthole, but again--it works for me.

I like the concept but I do not see me putting some little glass things in my eyes so I can use it.

The contacts are only if you have good vision or are farsighted; your vision needs to be altered to use the mask to best effect. IOW, you must artificially become nearsighted to use the thing properly.

My 'scrip is an exact match for this mask, and I find it suits me perfectly for my type of diving. Hope this helps!