PDA

View Full Version : Wind up a spool

skdvr
07-19-2007, 16:57
Just wondering what you find to be the best way to re-wind a spool after a dive?
<DIV>I have taken a drill and drill but then wrapped the bit with a piece of foam then stuck that inside the finger hole of the spool. That way all I have to do it hold the line tight and it will stop the spool from spinning out of control and having line all over. Seems to work pretty well, just looking for other ideas.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Do you pull all the line out and let it dry, or just leave it on the spool to dry?</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>I have been pulling mine all the way out to let it dry, I just do not know if that is necessary or not.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Phil</DIV>

CompuDude
07-19-2007, 18:30
I generally wind up the spool on my way up, so they're already wound by the time I reach the surface.

I don't pull out the line to dry. I've never heard anyone say that was necessary, although now I'm curious. The exception would be if it got really dirty, of course.

Joew
07-19-2007, 18:40
I generally wind up the spool on my way up, so they're already wound by the time I reach the surface.I don't pull out the line to dry. I've never heard anyone say that was necessary, although now I'm curious. The exception would be if it got really dirty, of course.

I do the same. There have been 2-3 times where I didn't feel I did a great job winding it up in the water, so I rewound it at home by hand. Just wanted to be sure it didn't jam the next time I needed to shoot a smb.

Joew
07-19-2007, 21:19
I guess jam isn't the right word. Sometimes if it's not wound smoothly the line tends to get a little caught up on itself. It's never caused me any problems, though. I guess the rewinding is mosty to make it look neater. smileys/smiley4.gif

przeor
07-20-2007, 00:26
same here- just wind up as you go up! I've never undone the line just to dry it, although here in Phoenix, it'll dry anyways

texdiveguy
07-20-2007, 06:42
Just wondering what you find to be the best way to re-wind a spool after a dive?
<div>I</div>
<div></div>
<div>Do you pull all the line out and let it dry, or just leave it on the spool to dry?</div>
<div></div>
<div>I have been pulling mine all the way out to let it dry, I just do not know if that is necessary or not.</div>
<div></div>
<div>Phil</div>

Phil.... I rewind the spool during the dive,,,,I don't unwind it to dry...you don't need to.

skdvr
07-20-2007, 07:04
I always wind it up in the water as well. I guess I just did not think that was always the neatest job. I am not really paying attention to where the line is going. It may all end up on one side of the spool, so that is why when I would get home I would unwind the 50 or so ft. of line that I used and try to re-wind it by hand but all I was doing was holding onto the spool and then wraping the line aroung the spool and then the line woudl get all twisted up. I tried to sit there and basically just roll the spool, but I never seamed that the line was tight enough. Then I got the idea for the drill. I guess I am just to worried about it. I will just not worry about it so much and see what happens. I guess the worst thing that can happen is that the spool gets pulled out of my hand and I just get it on the way up...
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Thanks for all the help</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Phil</DIV>

awap
07-20-2007, 08:59
[QUOTE=splitlip If too loose it could slop off the edge of the spool when you first send it. Maybe catch a finger..[/QUOTE]
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>When you release the bag, let go of the spool also. It will just dance around in front of you (+/- a couple inches) until the bag hits the surface. Then grab the spoolor it will slowly sink. A slow, neat wind on the way up does a great job of slowing the ascent rate. A little touchup of the last couple feet and it is ready for the next dive.</DIV>

comet24
07-20-2007, 11:53
I just wind then back up as I go.

Lucky(AR)
07-22-2007, 00:23
the few times i have used just reel as i ascend

woody
07-22-2007, 00:37
<DIV>edit: just saw Joes' comment on "jamming". A spool can't jam. A reel can. </DIV>
<DIV></DIV>yes it can. if the line rolls under another wrap of line then it is possible that the spool will not run out smoothly when shooting a bag. I have had it happen to me, so I do rewind my spools after a few uses.
<DIV>Just me i guess,</DIV>
<DIV>Woody</DIV>

JahJahwarrior
07-22-2007, 07:36
A few dives ago, I got really tangled in some idiots line on the surface while swimming out to the descent point.

It was my line!

The spool had come off of the double ender, but very luckily, the line stayed on! So I sat on the surface for a few minutes, winding up 80 feet of line..........